The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I was at the game and spent the night watching him. It's only one game but not impressve at all. I didn't see any physicality or intensity. It's the playoffs man. He also floats in and out of his position tons.

Juniors for sure next year. After that AHL for another 2-4 before we can even think of giving him a shot. His flaws in his are concerning.

look at that Fazleev and Tambellini all over the ice. What a poor effort by Jake unacceptable. Give him another 2-3 years before you panic.

Ehlers will crack the NHL before Virtanen.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 1

Ehlers?

I wanted Ritchie over him...I think Jake will be fine but it will take him a while make to it as a NHL regular.

Has all the tools, just needs to develop his hockey IQ.

Edited by RRypien37

Didn't play too well but he had good chances late in the third. Lang missed an open net on Jake's wraparound. The extremely negative on CDC are probably still pissed we didn't take Ehlers.

Well, take it as you will, and I being one of those 'extremely negative' people am a little frustrated.

The way I see it was heading into the draft we already had a plethora of prospects who could fill in third and second line roles as they develop. What we're missing in a big way is a #1 D and first line forwards. Now don't get me wrong Virtanen still has that potential, but his offensive ceiling isn't close to the next two draftees. We didn't lose in 2011 because the Bruins beat us into submission, and we didn't suck last year because we lost against the big bad teams of the West. We lost because we couldn't score. That, was a direct result of the Sedins aging and us not having the offensive depth to support them.

Virtanen was not BPA in terms of offence. He was drafted for his size, his hitting, and perhaps a little bit because of his home-town ties.

What's been floating around in his defence? Even when he isn't producing he's contributing on the ice. But isn't that something you expect from any top end forward? Not every offensively skilled guy is going to turn into Phil Kessel. Look at Gaudreau, this friggin midget saved the game for the Flames yesterday, making three or four key blocks and stick lifts in the final minute of play.

Now I'm trying my hardest to like Virtanen, but many of the knocks on him by scouts from the draft have yet to shed by this kid. A lack of offensive progression has made it even harder still.

Here's to hoping that he just needs a change of scenery and somehow he manages to produce at a higher level at the pro level (AHL/NHL) but I'm not holding my breath. I think he'll top out as decent second liner, and that's fine for what he brings to the table. But I think given the position the Canucks are currently in prospects wise, we need to start looking at who will take over for the Sedins. McCann? Virtanen? Those are ridiculous expectations.

In fact, I think the same thing is going to happen to the genius who drafts Lawson Crouse relatively high this year.

I think I'll dub it 'Virtanen'd'.

• Upvote 1

Well, take it as you will, and I being one of those 'extremely negative' people am a little frustrated.

The way I see it was heading into the draft we already had a plethora of prospects who could fill in third and second line roles as they develop. What we're missing in a big way is a #1 D and first line forwards. Now don't get me wrong Virtanen still has that potential, but his offensive ceiling isn't close to the next two draftees. We didn't lose in 2011 because the Bruins beat us into submission, and we didn't suck last year because we lost against the big bad teams of the West. We lost because we couldn't score. That, was a direct result of the Sedins aging and us not having the offensive depth to support them.

Virtanen was not BPA in terms of offence. He was drafted for his size, his hitting, and perhaps a little bit because of his home-town ties.

What's been floating around in his defence? Even when he isn't producing he's contributing on the ice. But isn't that something you expect from any top end forward? Not every offensively skilled guy is going to turn into Phil Kessel. Look at Gaudreau, this friggin midget saved the game for the Flames yesterday, making three or four key blocks and stick lifts in the final minute of play.

Now I'm trying my hardest to like Virtanen, but many of the knocks on him by scouts from the draft have yet to shed by this kid. A lack of offensive progression has made it even harder still.

Here's to hoping that he just needs a change of scenery and somehow he manages to produce at a higher level at the pro level (AHL/NHL) but I'm not holding my breath. I think he'll top out as decent second liner, and that's fine for what he brings to the table. But I think given the position the Canucks are currently in prospects wise, we need to start looking at who will take over for the Sedins. McCann? Virtanen? Those are ridiculous expectations.

In fact, I think the same thing is going to happen to the genius who drafts Lawson Crouse relatively high this year.

I think I'll dub it 'Virtanen'd'.

Exactly... you don't use a 6th pick on a fast skater with intangebles. You draft him cause he has all that and can score. I really hate the pick but I'm a canuck fan and really want him to turn it around. It could be his shoulder injury didn't give him time in the off season to work on his shot and he doesn't have the accuracy or the faith in it anymore? Last year his shot was lights out... this year all I hear is board clanging