The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I like the apparent pairing with Gaudette. Two faster skaters, both willing to drive the net, neither one will back down from confrontation though they're not "instigators". Gaudette, I believe, is the more talented of the two, but I could see them pushing each other.

Next year, I could easily see Virt ending with a stat line of about 18g-18a, and Gaudette with 15g-24a. With Leipsig looking not too bad with Horvat and Boeser, I wouldn't mind seeing Baer being the third member of that line.

Without the Twins (I still can’t believe it) we are going to see some new faces and lines for sure.  I wonder where Pettersson and Dahlen are going to fit?

Virtanen plays like he did this morning against Vegas on a consistent basis and he is a lock top six player for years and years.   Simply dominating.   Exerted his will so many times throughout the game and moved bodies like a man against boys.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, number one ranked prospect in all of hockey who not in NHL currently is clearly headed for AHL.    That makes sense.   Tons of sense.

Keep it up Sparky!

JB said if they're ready to play in the NHL, we'll keep them. Let's hope they play well in camp. 

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, number one ranked prospect in all of hockey who not in NHL currently is clearly headed for AHL.    That makes sense.   Tons of sense.

Keep it up Sparky!

The post I quoted asked "where do they fit?"

I believe Pettersson should be in the NHL.

But Benning is probably gonna overpay on some aging vets and kill a couple roster spots for our young guys which will probably push Pettersson down to the AHL. Dahlen has an even higher chance at AHL. Even though they both should probably be in the NHL next year.

Edited by Adarsh Sant

On 4/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

With the season essentially done, nice time to reflect on Virtanen's year and acknowledge the incredible growth in his game.   Amongst NHL forward leaders and hits/60 and TA/GA ratio.    Has more to give offensively but his points/60 improved on both his rookie NHL year and his AHL full year.    You can see the level of confidence gained in the plays he makes.

Very much looking forward to the next season for a player I think we are all just seeing the tip of an impressive career.

The kid has such speed and strength, he just blew by the D at will. Needs to work on his shot just a bit, but I see this kid justifying being taken 6th. If he gets minutes like this next year on the pp 4 on 4 plus plays with some talent, will be a breakout year for sure

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

But Benning is probably gonna overpay on some aging vets and kill a couple roster spots for our young guys which will probably push Pettersson down to the AHL.

Tyler Bozak 6x6 :^)

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

But Benning is probably gonna overpay on some aging vets and kill a couple roster spots for our young guys which will probably push Pettersson down to the AHL.

Yes, Benning does not want to win and will continue to suppress the development of his own team as that is what GMs are payed to do....they kill roster spots for elite prospects.   Been a thing in the NHL for years now, hardly any rookies ever make it anymore.    Quite rare.

Good gawd, where do you dream some of this stuff up.    ANY player that can make the NHL will be there over a veteran if they beat out that veteran.....

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

But Benning is probably gonna overpay on some aging vets and kill a couple roster spots for our young guys which will probably push Pettersson down to the AHL. Dahlen has an even higher chance at AHL. Even though they both should probably be in the NHL next year.

Funny since all these vets JB has signed haven't taken a spot yet that deserved to go to a young kid

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bp79 said:

Funny since all these vets JB has signed haven't taken a spot yet that deserved to go to a young kid

Some of the crap these people get from CanuckArmy and other troll sites is bad enough but then to parrot it to people who actually understand that game - while entertaining, it is pretty hilarious.     

Cheer bp.   :)

• Thanks 1

Well. Jake had his mistakes but was a beast tonight. When he's on he can do so many things, he's been playing better to end the season.

Overall he hasn't had great consistency this year, but he has really shown that he can play in this league and be a great player at times. He's shown more consistency towards the end of the season here. He should be a 2nd/3rd line player coming in next season and hopefully he can take the next step with consistency and produce/play like it.

13 minutes ago, bp79 said:

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yes, Benning does not want to win and will continue to suppress the development of his own team as that is what GMs are payed to do....they kill roster spots for elite prospects.   Been a thing in the NHL for years now, hardly any rookies ever make it anymore.    Quite rare.

Good gawd, where do you dream some of this stuff up.    ANY player that can make the NHL will be there over a veteran if they beat out that veteran.....

Are you serious? Last season Troy Stecher was sent to Utica and only called up when there was an injury. Many reports out of training camp indicated that he was good enough to make the team. But he wasn't on it because of guys like Larsen. Now, he is in our top 4 consistently. Imagine if there weren't injuries last year so early? Stech might have been buried in Utica a lot longer.

This year, just look at how Goldobin has progressed once given the opportunity. Again, he started the year in Utica and only got called up because of injury. There weren't any spots in the lineup because of vets. Hell even Burmistrov (remember him) was given more opportunity than Goldy. Burmistrov was the 13th forward and the guy who first filled in for injury. And now that we see Goldobin given an opportunity, he looks way more useful than a Eriksson or a Gagner.

Edited by Adarsh Sant

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some of the crap these people get from CanuckArmy and other troll sites is bad enough but then to parrot it to people who actually understand that game - while entertaining, it is pretty hilarious.     

Cheer bp.   :)

22 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Also it's just simple math.

Lets say he signs two FA's.

Look at the guys we have for next season.

19 guys potentially to compete for our roster. Assuming the Bold are the locks for the team.......that leaves 3 more spots. Pick any 3 and let me know who's gonna get left in the AHL.

FA1

FA2

Eriksson

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Baertschi

Gagner

Virtanen 

Gaunce

Goldobin

Leipsic

Gaudette

Boucher

Archibald

Motte

Pettersson

Dahlen

2018 1st?

19 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Are you serious? Last season Troy Stecher was sent to Utica and only called up when there was an injury. Many reports out of training camp indicated that he was good enough to make the team. But he wasn't on it because of guys like Larsen. Now, he is in our top 4 consistently. Imagine if there weren't injuries last year so early? Stech might have been buried in Utica a lot longer.

This year, just look at how Goldobin has progressed once given the opportunity. Again, he started the year in Utica and only got called up because of injury. There weren't any spots in the lineup because of vets. Hell even Burmistrov (remember him) was given more opportunity than Goldy. Burmistrov was the 13th forward and the guy who first filled in for injury. And now that we see Goldobin given an opportunity, he looks way more useful than a Eriksson or a Gagner.

You really don’t have a clue do you?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Also it's just simple math.

Lets say he signs two FA's.

Look at the guys we have for next season.

19 guys potentially to compete for our roster. Assuming the Bold are the locks for the team.......that leaves 3 more spots. Pick any 3 and let me know who's gonna get left in the AHL.

FA1

FA2

Eriksson

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Baertschi

Gagner

Virtanen 

Gaunce

Goldobin

Leipsic

Gaudette

Boucher

Archibald

Motte

Pettersson

Dahlen

2018 1st?

Yes, there is zero chance for any changes over summer.   None last year and nine year before.   Line up in April always same come October.

Do you try to be this obtuse?

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Hard to even try when your starting point is so lacking in basic knowledge about the game.   Try canuckArmy, they are a good starter place.    Have fun!::D

Dude the fact we're on this site means that we've both probably spent considerable time playing/coaching/watching hockey. I don't think we lack knowledge about the game. We just have different perspectives.

• Like 1