The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Is this thread still about the 2014 draft? There's no way to get into the heads of management, but maybe they figured they could have drafted a player with skill at #24 that year, which they did. Maybe they figured they needed that player with elite speed who was obliterating guys with his hitting, who was definitely going top 10 that year. Who knows but why does it matter anymore?

As far as team building goes... I'm all but certain we're taking a defenceman this year. If we get the 2nd pick, Svechnikov is a clear #2 and would make things very difficult, but even then I bet they trade down and take a D-man.

If you just took the BPA and never drafted for position or considered trading down to acquire assets, you're the Oilers.

Elite speed at #6? Nikolaj Ehler's wasn't/isn't an elite skater? Jake is an amazing skater, its the reason he's so tantalizing. But they could have gotten BPA and elite skating. They drafted a 'skill' guy at 24 then ended up trading him with another valuable pick. 

Trading down I agree with, but you can't pass on BPA to fill needs. You gotta consider the asset your getting aswell as the player. Especially when your an older team that's really lacking young assets like we were at the time.

Why does it matter? I was just repsonding to a poster making a comment. This is the most confident I have been in Jake since we drafted him. He's taken a big step this year & hopefully he builds on it going forward. As far as the draft, take a defenseman if one is in that range, if your 3-5 maybe you like Bouchard or Boqvist. But going in I would say if you like a D don't pass on a forward that has separated himself to get it. Bad things can happen when teams are passing on BPA for a need. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Is this thread still about the 2014 draft? There's no way to get into the heads of management, but maybe they figured they could have drafted a player with skill at #24 that year, which they did. Maybe they figured they needed that player with elite speed who was obliterating guys with his hitting, who was definitely going top 10 that year. Who knows but why does it matter anymore?

As far as team building goes... I'm all but certain we're taking a defenceman this year. If we get the 2nd pick, Svechnikov is a clear #2 and would make things very difficult, but even then I bet they trade down and take a D-man.

If you just took the BPA and never drafted for position or considered trading down to acquire assets, you're the Oilers.

Was Jake BPA at 6OA?  Haven't we put this to rest?  He had speed, was physical and hard to play against and has a great shot.  These are perhaps 3 of the top 4 attributes that Benning looks for.  Well ok, IQ and character would be the top but you're not getting everything at 6 are you?

The talk on Jake was always the he was a power forward and that they are relatively rare and that they can take until 23 or 24 to really hit their stride so there is nothing really unexpected here.  In fact, if you want this type of player in your group, maybe you should pick him early in the rebuild for this reason.

I've run this out there before as well.....it is just as likely that the Canucks are picking 2-4 as anything.  Are they really going to pass on a BPA elite scoring winger who is very likely to play next year and take a D that high?  Imagine Boeser on RW and Zadina on LW.  Trading down will be difficult.

I'm pretty sure they end up with #1 anyways so the discussion is moot.  :)

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 1

On March 25, 2018 at 5:04 PM, khay said:

I think Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser could be a line at some point down the road. 

Virtanen is more dangerous on his off wing and if his puck handling skill improves, he can gain the zone with his speed. Drive to the net, get a shot off, or pass off to Pettersson/Boeser. He can also use his speed to fetch the puck for Pettersson and Boeser on dump and chase plays. 

Virtanen could score 20 goals and 50 points playing with these two smart players.

The problem with inflating Jake's production by playing him with Boeser and Pettersson is that you'll potentially be deflating BB and EP's point totals. 

Let him earn his way there. 

So, I’ve been thinking of jake vs ehlers and nylander. I’ve also been thinking about players who are best suited to certain roles, how team make up can affect a players game and success.

One of the biggest gripes this fan base has with the canucks is push back, size and physicality. Nylander and Ehlers aren’t really known for these qualities. But one thing that Ehlers has is a bunch of big players around him to do that heavy work. There are also many complaints about undersized players coming our way in general. So why is this situation different? Also to note, Ehlers and nylander and putting up solid second line numbers and very weak first line numbers.

My biggest gripe about the makeup of this team is it seams that players who aren’t good enough to play top 6 end up in checking roles.

But this is exactly what I like about Virtanen. He’s going to play a checking role for his career. He’s been groomed now to be that player and it seems that since he has more confidence in this role he is also putting up more points and playing a more complete game.

players that put up 50-60 points that don’t do much else come around often. We even got our very own in Baertschi for a second round pick. Sure he hasn’t gotten there yet but he is that player for us. That second liner. This year he was on pace for 45 playing against top defenders

I see virtanen as that elite 3rd liner who puts up 35-40 points in his prime and will be able to slot in to the top 6 when needed

im excited to get back to basic good old time hockey

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

So, I’ve been thinking of jake vs ehlers and nylander. I’ve also been thinking about players who are best suited to certain roles, how team make up can affect a players game and success.

One of the biggest gripes this fan base has with the canucks is push back, size and physicality. Nylander and Ehlers aren’t really known for these qualities. But one thing that Ehlers has is a bunch of big players around him to do that heavy work. There are also many complaints about undersized players coming our way in general. So why is this situation different? Also to note, Ehlers and nylander and putting up solid second line numbers and very weak first line numbers.

My biggest gripe about the makeup of this team is it seams that players who aren’t good enough to play top 6 end up in checking roles.

But this is exactly what I like about Virtanen. He’s going to play a checking role for his career. He’s been groomed now to be that player and it seems that since he has more confidence in this role he is also putting up more points and playing a more complete game.

players that put up 50-60 points that don’t do much else come around often. We even got our very own in Baertschi for a second round pick. Sure he hasn’t gotten there yet but he is that player for us. That second liner. This year he was on pace for 45 playing against top defenders

I see virtanen as that elite 3rd liner who puts up 35-40 points in his prime and will be able to slot in to the top 6 when needed

im excited to get back to basic good old time hockey

EXACTLY!

plus those very soft, easy to play against 50 to 60 point wingers, who do nothing physically, will demand big dollars.  Then you’re stuck with guys, who really don’t help you win, especially in the playoffs, eating up big cap dollars.  I believe JB expected Nylander and Ehlers to be two such players, so he went with a guy, Jake, who will help the team win.  Smart move actually.  JB waited for Pettersson to take his soft forward.  Except this guy will put up 100 points.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

The problem with inflating Jake's production by playing him with Boeser and Pettersson is that you'll potentially be deflating BB and EP's point totals. 

Let him earn his way there. 

I am 50/50 on this guntrix. While I want him to earn it, maybe like many players he needs a spark to get going in the show.   We all know he has deadly speed and can seriously throw the body. His junior numbers indicate a natural scoring ability but his ability to hit the net right now is seriously in question. We are seeing more desire when he is given a  more offensive responsibility.  I think he just needs more time around the net  to get his feel back. When he does I think we will be blown away.

The best thing about Jake this year is he has started to drive the bus no matter who he plays with. When he gets the puck he attacks.

It doesn't always end up in a scoring chance, but he's learning to use his tools and read situations that eventually he will be able to leverage to his advantage.

I expect Jake to continue to develop this summer and should return as a legitimate 2nd/3rd line threat next year.

He started to play so well defensively this year that he is earning extra minutes and 4vs4 time. The next step is PK time which should be his bread and butter in his prime. His speed and size should allow him to cover any player at the top of opposing powerplays from Brent Burns to Matt Barzal. 

If he can become a 20G 20A guy by 24 we could see him hit 30 and 30 in his prime 25-28.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Derp... said:

The best thing about Jake this year is he has started to drive the bus no matter who he plays with. When he gets the puck he attacks.

It doesn't always end up in a scoring chance, but he's learning to use his tools and read situations that eventually he will be able to leverage to his advantage.

I expect Jake to continue to develop this summer and should return as a legitimate 2nd/3rd line threat next year.

He started to play so well defensively this year that he is earning extra minutes and 4vs4 time. The next step is PK time which should be his bread and butter in his prime. His speed and size should allow him to cover any player at the top of opposing powerplays from Brent Burns to Matt Barzal. 

If he can become a 20G 20A guy by 24 we could see him hit 30 and 30 in his prime 25-28.

I'm glad he's making strides and I'm looking forward to continue to gradually get there mentally to the point where he has the right attitude day in and day out. Although I don't know how fair it would really be to label him as a potential 20 goal scorer. I say let him develop at his pace. He definitely has a niche going for him with his skillset to warrant him being here for a long time even if he doesn't achieve 20 goals.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I'm glad he's making strides and I'm looking forward to continue to gradually get there mentally to the point where he has the right attitude day in and day out. Although I don't know how fair it would really be to label him as a potential 20 goal scorer. I say let him develop at his pace. He definitely has a niche going for him with his skillset to warrant him being here for a long time even if he doesn't achieve 20 goals.

If you can get 10 goals in NHL with his minutes and lack of any real PP time, he can get 20.

• Cheers 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Alflives said:

Mark me down now for this prediction.  I see Jake scoring 20+ goals in 2018/2019.  More than the goals though will be Jake’s impact on each game.  He will be a force on the forecheck, and create a lot of turnovers.  

I can see this happening... IF he is matched with one of our young centers, and if that young center has a great start to his career.  

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I can see this happening... IF he is matched with one of our young centers, and if that young center has a great start to his career.  

Eriksson, Gaudette, Virtanen has a nice look to it imo. 

• Thanks 1

I like the apparent pairing with Gaudette. Two faster skaters, both willing to drive the net, neither one will back down from confrontation though they're not "instigators". Gaudette, I believe, is the more talented of the two, but I could see them pushing each other.

Next year, I could easily see Virt ending with a stat line of about 18g-18a, and Gaudette with 15g-24a. With Leipsig looking not too bad with Horvat and Boeser, I wouldn't mind seeing Baer being the third member of that line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1