The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

After another dominating performance from Jake I thought this board would be lit up with fans exhorting the new Jake and dreaming of the years to come if he keeps progressing at this rate...silly me!  Two guys bickering over nothing...

Nah, just trying to keep those who want to hate on the team honest when there are so many positive signs.   Sutter has another massive game.   Virtanen was killing it.  Great to see!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nah, just trying to keep those who want to hate on the team honest when there are so many positive signs.   Sutter has another massive game.   Virtanen was killing it.  Great to see!

lol, you dreamer.  They aren't about facts, so if things are good they simply make something up like "Benning gonna overspend, herp-a-derp."

Mark my words -- "Benning gonna pay Jake too much; he's unproven, poor production, 4th liner at best, could still bust" is coming this summer.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

lol, you dreamer.  They aren't about facts, so if things are good they simply make something up like "Benning gonna overspend, herp-a-derp."

Mark my words -- "Benning gonna pay Jake too much; he's unproven, poor production, 4th liner at best, could still bust" is coming this summer.

....but, it is so fun to challenge their whining!   Oh, your thoughts on Jake's contract are spot on.  That and if JB doesn't get another first round pick for a trade for spare parts....."GMJB could have pulled off a trade for picks but chose to hand onto X and Y....those trades were there to be made!"      I am chuckling already!   :lol:

• Upvote 1

Was at the game last night, Jake is truly coming into his own as a player.

We need a guy with that kind of speed, but few if any have his strength to go along with it. If he keeps driving the net 3-4 times a night, good things will happen. Could choose to pass a bit more often, but his power/speed combo is finally working at the pro level.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

After another dominating performance from Jake I thought this board would be lit up with fans exhorting the new Jake and dreaming of the years to come if he keeps progressing at this rate...silly me!  Two guys bickering over nothing...

I'll have to disagree with this.  It's great he is making huge strides this year but he has a long way to go in terms of shooting and passing before he starts dominating games.  Those wrap arounds were nothing more than turnovers and on one he had Leipsic wide open in front for a decent tap in.  He still has a lot of work to do before he'll find a home in the top 6 but I think he'll get there eventually.  Sucks Edler lost the puck in OT that forced Jake to take a dumb penalty, they had possession too off the faceoff. 

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

We need a guy with that kind of speed, but few if any have his strength to go along with it. If he keeps driving the net 3-4 times a night, good things will happen. Could choose to pass a bit more often, but his power/speed combo is finally working at the pro level.

Even Travis was "man..." at the presser.

As Jake establishes that he can beat most dmen wide, they'll have to start backing off when he comes up the ice.  THAT is when he will have space to then pull up and start making plays, like when he's finding Goldy open cross-ice, or dishing to a Boqvist/Hughes trailer B)

12 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

But Benning is probably gonna overpay on some aging vets and kill a couple roster spots for our young guys which will probably push Pettersson down to the AHL.

That's not actually how it works. If Pettersson shows up looking like he belongs in the top 6 in the NHL as we all hope, it pushes someone further down the roster, on the fringe, off the roster.

12 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Also it's just simple math.

Lets say he signs two FA's.

Look at the guys we have for next season.

19 guys potentially to compete for our roster. Assuming the Bold are the locks for the team.......that leaves 3 more spots. Pick any 3 and let me know who's gonna get left in the AHL.

FA1

FA2

Eriksson

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Baertschi

Gagner

Virtanen 

Gaunce

Goldobin

Leipsic

Gaudette

Boucher

Archibald

Motte

Pettersson

Dahlen

2018 1st?

There's probably going to be a trade or two etc... It's not a static, immovable thing.

26 minutes ago, nergish said:

What he needs is one of the trailing players actually in position for the juicy rebounds that tend to be laying there after he drives to the net/goes for one of those wrap arounds.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Question: How much would you offer a bottom six player going into his +5 season with a career best of .26 PPG? Let's put it out there.

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Question: How much would you offer a bottom six player going into his +5 season with a career best of .26 PPG? Let's put it out there.

No one is saying he will get a massive contract, so save your pathetic passive aggressive attempts at trying to insult Virtanen. We know you still hate him and it hurts you that he has been playing well. He has made huge strides, and you have been silent about it.

Why don't you cry more like you always, do?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

No one is saying he will get a massive contract, so save your pathetic passive aggressive attempts at trying to insult Virtanen.

So are you going to answer the question or not? 

2 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

We know you still hate him and it hurts you that he has been playing well. He has made huge strides, and you have been silent about it.

Why don't you cry more like you always, do?

Career best 19 points in 73 games. 6th overall pick. I've been quiet because there's nothing to say. 

33 points in 75 games.

13 points in 59 games

31 points in 56 games.

All these are players who played in a FAR more offensive era.  Yet there are people here who would have wanted them traded asap or been super underwhelmed and willing to just cut them loose.

If Virtanen is literally half the player they were we're doing ok.  I'm in no rush and I expect him to have a nice cheap contract that will look like a steal before it is over.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

So are you going to answer the question or not? 

Career best 19 points in 73 games. 6th overall pick. I've been quiet because there's nothing to say. 

There is nothing to answer. Your question is stupid, and like I said, just another pathetic attempt on your part to insult Virtanen.

You've been silent because you are afraid Virtanen has been making you look like a fool, even though your pathetic posts have already done that. Take you hatred of Virtanen and shove it, loser.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Also it's just simple math.

Lets say he signs two FA's.

Look at the guys we have for next season.

19 guys potentially to compete for our roster. Assuming the Bold are the locks for the team.......that leaves 3 more spots. Pick any 3 and let me know who's gonna get left in the AHL.

FA1

FA2

Eriksson

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Baertschi

Gagner

Virtanen 

Gaunce

Goldobin

Leipsic

Gaudette

Boucher

Archibald

Motte

Pettersson

Dahlen

2018 1st?

Why assume anything?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

There is nothing to answer. Your question is stupid, and like I said, just another pathetic attempt on your part to insult Virtanen.

You've been silent because you are afraid Virtanen has been making you look like a fool, even though your pathetic posts have already done that. Take you hatred of Virtanen and shove it, loser.

Virtanen is set to be resigned and asking for an opinionated valuation of his next contract is stupid? Got it. 

10/10 edgy post though. Had me at the edge of my seat for all 5 seconds. 

Edited by guntrix

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, that's what you were doing.

Yeah, that was my intent...

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

Too late to act tough now, buddy. Nice try, though.

I mean, you could straight up come out and state you refuse to say how much you think Jake´s worth. It´d be so much easier.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah, that was my intent...

I mean, you could straight up come out and state you refuse to say how much you think Jake´s worth. It´d be so much easier.

I don't need to do anything. I wasn't the one trying to make a stupid comment in an attempt to once again put down a player you've hated since we drafted him.

Edited by The Great Canucks