The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

"Overrated" doesn't mean that he's all offense - he may not be the best shutdown in junior but he's still pretty damn good

So what if Virtanen plays less than 17 minutes a game? Higher TOI doesn't guarantee higher PPG

First unit powerplay does though.

Lol. Regurgitated garbage, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong he has elite level skill, and his defensive game comes form having the puck on his stick.

Put him up against bigger tougher checkers at the next level, and his "great defensive game" won't be so great.

he's a relentless, brutal playr to play against. watch him pplay he is far from weak

Edited by ComptonCanuck

Do you guys think Jake has a good shot of making the roster next year?

He has the speed, size and is pretty skilled but is he capable of playing consistent enough?

Would another year in the dub benefit him?

Two teenagers in two year world be pretty awesome if Virtanen is able to make as significant of an impact as Horvat next year.

he's a relentless, brutal playr to play against. watch him pplay he is far from weak

He's a hard worker, but brutal to play against? Give me a break.

Too much tire pumping going on.

Continue on with trashing every Canuck prospect though. Seems to be a passion of yours.

Guest Dasein

First unit powerplay does though.

On Kingston though

Highest scorer has 48 points - Hitmen have 5 players with more (including Jake)

Edited by Dasein

Guest Dasein

Lol. Regurgitated garbage, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong he has elite level skill, and his defensive game comes from having the puck on his stick.

Put him up against bigger tougher checkers at the next level, and his "great defensive game" won't be so great.

Never hurt Mike Richards in his prime, and Bennett's bigger than him

Shinkaruk's size shouldn't be an issue but all of a sudden it will be when it comes to a Flames prospect who is bigger?

Riiight

Guest Dasein

Who cares if it's Kingston?

He's getting prime man advantage minutes.

With a unit that has just about as much talent as Calgary's 2nd unit

Never hurt Mike Richards in his prime, and Bennett's bigger than him

Shinkaruk's size shouldn't be an issue but all of a sudden it will be when it comes to a Flames prospect who is bigger?

Riiight

Why do you keep bringing up other players?

Bennett and Richards are nothing alike.

Shinkaruk? Try and stay on topic.

Guest Dasein

I am on topic - SIZE

Richards is a small two-way forward who was great defensively against the "big men" in the NHL - something you said that will erase Bennett's defensive prowess when he makes the jump

Shinkaruk is supposed to fine with his size in making the jump, but all of a sudden a bigger guy in Bennett is supposed to have issues why?

Please be more consistent in your arguments

1st units and 2nd units can't be compared because first units typically get the majority of time and/or score first eliminating the 2nd units chance at time.

That's a fair point but it's not like Bennett has any help - which was my point

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

you need to watch more bennett. he's a good defensive player and elite offensive player, while also being a pest to play against. something i WISH the canucks had. you are spewing your ingorance just because bennett is a flame

I am on topic - SIZE

Richards is a small two-way forward who was great defensively against the "big men" in the NHL - something you said that will erase Bennett's defensive prowess when he makes the jump

Shinkaruk is supposed to fine with his size in making the jump, but all of a sudden a bigger guy in Bennett is supposed to have issues why?

Please be more consistent in your arguments

That's a fair point but it's not like Bennett has any help - which was my point

Richards made his name as a rugged two-way center. Bennett is not a rugged two-way center contrary to some peoples misconceptions on here.

What will erase his "defensive prowess" is not being able to hod onto the puck for days against weaker/smaller/younger players in the OHL.

I've never said Shinkaruk would be fine with his size. I've always said that will be his biggest hurdle. And it's showing in his first season in the A. Guys who are used to having the puck on their sticks all the time typically get a wake up call when they face bigger and stronger guys on the puck who take the body instead of getting danced.

Bennett plays with a projected top 10 pick in Crouse, a player who's over a point per game in Watson, and a solid overage powerplay QB in McEneny. I would hardly say he has no help.

Edited by DeNiro

you need to watch more bennett. he's a good defensive player and elite offensive player, while also being a pest to play against. something i WISH the canucks had. you are spewing your ingorance just because bennett is a flame

To be honest, same could be said of your knowledge about Jake lol.

To be honest, same could be said of your knowledge about Jake lol.

north-south player, average hockey iq, average vision, good powerful wrist shot, throws punishign hits, cocky and wants to win, average defensive ability, very fast

will max out as a 2nd/low end 1st line wing who has the capabity of 30 goals with the right linemaets

Edited by ComptonCanuck

Guest Dasein

Richards made his name as a rugged two-way center. Bennett is not a rugged two-way center contrary to some peoples misconceptions on here.

What will erase his "defensive prowess" is not being able to hod onto the puck for days against weaker/smaller/younger players in the OHL.

I've never said Shinkaruk would be fine with his size. I've always said that will be his biggest hurdle. And it's showing in his first season in the A. Guys who are used to having the puck on their sticks all the time typically get a wake up call when they face bigger and stronger on the puck who take the body instead of getting danced.

Bennett plays with a projected top 10 pick in Crouse, a player who's over a point per game in Watson, and a solid overage powerplay QB in McEneny. I would hardly say he has no help.

Bennett is pretty rugged. You really are digging yourself into a hole here

Crouse is projected as a top 10 because of his complete game rather than his offense. Watson has scored 13 points in 9 games since Bennett returns - only two of which weren't assisted or scored by Bennett, and they were PSs. McEneny is doing pretty solid as an overager