The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

Fair enough. However, Iginla voluntarily joined a team where he would have Chara, Marchand, Lucic, Thornton, Boychuk, and McQuaid as teammates. This is not something a so-called classy player would want to do.

Homer glasses aside, who wouldn't want Chara or Boychuk on their team, I think they are fine people,

Marchand is a rat and Thornton is a thug.

Lucic while he is a great player, I'm not too fond of his demeanour.

Maybe a canucks fan might be tempted to join the 6th worst team in the league just to play with the twins

He spent a decade playing against the twins in the same division, he knows what they are capable of. He is an older player and if he has faith in himself to be a game changer, you have to believe he feels the same way about Hank and Dank. If I were him I would be looking at the twins assist rates and think "damn I could rack up a lot of goals with them."

I'm not saying it is the most likely scenario, but I don't believe it is improbable either.

Plus, we need a player on our team who has history with, and will willingly go and fight Kesler :bigblush:

I don't care what Kesler said, people should listen to management which is they are not rebuilding and are trying to build a competitive team for next season.

If Vancouver added solid netminder through free agency and say an offensive winger and / or Iginla, they could be a solid team for next year. I wouldn't say favorites but I see them as a Playoff team next year.

I agree with Mike Vanderhoek.

Tank on purpose/rebuilding from scratch is media and fan BS, so many people are use to having a contender here they think making the playoffs is a waste unless you are rolling in with the prez trophy. People talk about the west as if it's impossible to penetrate yet the Wild took the Hawks to the brink last season in the 2nd round. Favorites of course not, but sh#t happens, injuries, upsets, hot streaks, you don't waste seasons in the bottom the league because you think a couple picks are going to guarantee you a cup because they don't you win by making it to the dance as many times as possible.

Tank on purpose/rebuilding from scratch is media and fan BS, so many people are use to having a contender here they think making the playoffs is a waste unless you are rolling in with the prez trophy. People talk about the west as if it's impossible to penetrate yet the Wild took the Hawks to the brink last season in the 2nd round. Favorites of course not, but sh#t happens, injuries, upsets, hot streaks, you don't waste seasons in the bottom the league because you think a couple picks are going to guarantee you a cup because they don't you win by making it to the dance as many times as possible.

EXACTLY!!!

You don't have to be a 'favorite' to win, to win the cup! If that were the case we'd have a couple already as would Ottawa a number of years ago!

What we need is

A. Our players to put last year behind them and get back to playing the way we are capable of. Our ENTIRE team had off years last year ex probably Kesler! If that happens well you can't win.

B. Clearly there was something in the room (whether that was Lou/Kes/Torts or combination thereof, we will never, know - regardless its dealt with).

C. Anyone suggesting a pair of the best players in the NHL are done at 33 is on crack, I love how bandwagoner/negative Nancy's call the Sedin's done, yet forget their start to December and that people were screaming in December to lock them up. Our team was run to the ground by a lack of depth and a coach who wouldn't play more than 7 guys....any objective/normal hockey fan can see that. That will change and the TEAM will play better because of it. PS we weren't that far from the playoffs even after ALL THOSE PLAYERS HAVING OFF YEARS PEOPLE!!

D. All we need is a team that can get in and that has the depth to compete. Our players certainly have to have rebound years, our stars have to start playing like stars again (Sedins, Edler, Hammer, Burr), our youth has to take the next step, we need to add a bit more size and speed. Then, its up to chemistry.

E. LA has 2 cups in three years. As great as they look, they also have alot of cockyness on that team, I can see them getting their party on a bit too much now and forgetting about hockey. People say its hard in a cap world to have a dynasty, which is true, but I also think it has to do with the generational attitude as well. These young men, are making a hell of alot more money, have a hell of alot more distractions at their disposal now than did the Isles and Oilers of the 80s and because of media are ALL stars.....distractions abound, don't be surprised to see LA not go far next year - its very hard in this day an age to say as motivated.

I agree with all you said, and I am curious to see what Benning does to solidify his lineup going into September, I do expect to see some big moves yet to come, whether that's a trade, UFA or RFA signing.

Lol, Erhoff is going to make more than 4m, Dorsette is a 4th liner, but an effective and great 4th liner.

Kassian probably beats out Vey in the depth chart, but I guess thats up to the coach and how well they play.

Burrows also disappeared into thin air, I'm assuming you gave up on the 30+ goal scorer, do everything we could want from him and never complain life time canuck with a NTC and traded him. Either way I'm not really a fan of building this team through free agency because most of those players you likely wanted signed would want 4-5 years at higher than typical cost. I'm a fan of Iggy and Miller only because they would want 2-3 years which likely aligns our prospects from transitioning into the lineup.

Erhoff is going to make what he wants to make... he could probably make $6 million, but also probably doesn't want to go to another crappy team trying to tank. My money is actually on him going to Tampa. There are plenty of options for another D available and I fully expect we get one.

Burrows disappeared yes.. he is not a 30+ goal scorer, he did that once. He is probably a 20 goal scorer in reality. We are re-making the team so pieces have to move out.

Iggy had 30 goals playing for the Bruins - how many do you think he could get playing with the Sedins?

Plus, my brother is a huge Flamez fan and Iggy as a Canuck would piss him off - it would be priceless.

I don't think Linden having lunch with Iggy (if true) is a big deal... If, as expected there is interest by Vancouver, he is simply having the discussion every team interested in him will have. Rather than just talking to his agent, given the proximity and relationship (played against each other NHLPA, team Canada), Linden is being smart by reaching out in person. A lunch is simply a lunch and a pitch, really means little until we know who else is bidding and what Linden pitched, what Iggy wants etc. Part of the 'process' lol, nothing more

Has anyone called the kelowna sushi restaurant yet to confirm linden and iggys meeting that would be awesome someone do it!!

My mom works at Timmies in Kelowna, She has seen Iggy come through the drive thru a couple times last year. I think he has a summer home here or something.

I don't think Linden having lunch with Iggy (if true) is a big deal... If, as expected there is interest by Vancouver, he is simply having the discussion every team interested in him will have. Rather than just talking to his agent, given the proximity and relationship (played against each other NHLPA, team Canada), Linden is being smart by reaching out in person. A lunch is simply a lunch and a pitch, really means little until we know who else is bidding and what Linden pitched, what Iggy wants etc. Part of the 'process' lol, nothing more

Iginla and Linden likely go way back so perhaps they are just hanging out. Or maybe Trevor wants the D ;)

Iggy had 30 goals playing for the Bruins - how many do you think he could get playing with the Sedins?

Plus, my brother is a huge Flamez fan and Iggy as a Canuck would piss him off - it would be priceless.

Iggy is just the player that could get the Sedin's going. Great teacher for Kassian as well.

I would but it's closed right now

I think we'll find out tomorrow anyway

For what it's worth, I was told that Trev headed up to his Kelowna cottage after the draft. Wasn't told anything about Iggy though. No legit media source, so don't bother.

My mom works at Timmies in Kelowna, She has seen Iggy come through the drive thru a couple times last year. I think he has a summer home here or something.

Yes, he has a summer home on Okanagan Lake between Kelowna and Vernon...I know he had it built in 2010, I'm assuming he still has it.

Edit:

"Canadian hockey players also like to call Kelowna home. Dany Heatley, Ryan Getzlaf, Wade Redden, Trevor Linden, Jarome Iginla, Josh Gorges, Blake Comeau, Shea Weber, Scott Hannan, Brett McLean, Tyler Myers and dozens more play here in the summer and entertain friends in their luxury Okanagan homes. 1,000+ square foot home gym’s, beach access and a competitive spirit keep these athletes in top shape during the off season."

http://www.jeremynewell.com/designing-kelowna-homes-for-celebrities-future-jane-hoffman-listings/

Archived