The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

If Linden can convince him they plan to spend to the cap, he might be convinced to sign for 1 year.

There was definitely interest from him to come here in the past.

Yeah, if he could be signed to a 1 year contract with a promise to deal him to a contender at the trade deadline should we be out of a playoff spot it might be enticing. It's easier to know who the real contenders are at the trade deadline than it is on July 1st.

Kelcey Brade @ctv_kelcey · 6m
#Canucks reach out to Jarome Iginla. I've been told that Trevor Linden had a conversation with Iginla on Sunday. @ctvvancouver

Wonder what Linden could convice to Iginla if Iginla truly wants to win a cup.

Doesn't make sense to me why he would come here ... too many other teams interested that are far closer to his goal of a cup. Sign and trade at deadline doesn't make sense either. Iggy would want the season to develop chemistry and some sort of groove. I can't see this happening.

Vancouver is only 3 three years past a stanley cup game 7 final appearance. 2 years away from a back to back President's Trophy. Last year was the accumulation of no depth, injury and Torts coaching system. Our 3rd and 4th lines will be a million times better this year. The only thing we need is a second line, having Iginla basically fixes that with one more UFA signing potentially.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows/UFA-Bonino-Iginla

Higgins-Vey-Matthias/Burrows

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen/Matthias

Sestito

Power play

Sedin-Sedin-Iginla

Give our youth time to devlope properly so we do not ruin them like Edmonton.

Here's a lineup I posted in another thread, including Iginla. Also has Moulson signed. I think this is a FAR better lineup than last year, and it allows our young players to develop without throwing unnecessary pressure on them:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014-15 Canucks
FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m)
Matt Moulson ($4.000m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Zack Kassian ($2.000m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m) (or possibly Gleason?)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

Next up, Free Agency. I've been told the #Canucks will take a serious run at Jarome Iginla if he's available July 1. #bruins @CTVVancouver

its good to know that they take a serious run at him... lol the wild are sure to be in the mix and i am confident he will stay in boston forcing us to take on some bruins players like boychuk and marchand....

No way he will come here.. He wants to win a cup and canucks are nowhere close.. He got a better chance going to the ducks than here.

I actually think he has a better chance signing with the nucks at more $$$ than a "contender" can currently afford.

1. he has spent the last two seasons guessing who would win and been wrong on both counts.. his guess this year isn't going to be anymore likely to turn out.

2. Canucks can offer him more $ and he (along with other moves and the twins waking up) might turn them around making them a contender as unlikely as that might be

3. if he does't turn them around he can be given away to the contender that looks best at the deadline rather than the one he guesses in july if the nucks give him the promise to do that.

The nucks can give more money and delay the choice as to which team is best until closer to the playoffs.. i think thats a better opportunity than guessing at the beginning of the year and taking less money so the team you guess can fit you.. if they can fit you at all.

Here's a lineup I posted in another thread, including Iginla. Also has Moulson signed. I think this is a FAR better lineup than last year, and it allows our young players to develop without throwing unnecessary pressure on them:

2014-15 Canucks

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m)

Matt Moulson ($4.000m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Zack Kassian ($2.000m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m) (or possibly Gleason?)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Tomas Vokoun ($1.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

That second line looks very unstable at best. Burrows is not a top 6 forward any more and Bonino isn't use to playing large minutes.

I love this idea!!!

Alot of people barking he's old, we need to play youth etc etc. Well let me state a few things first before.

A. We need to have a MIX of youth and experience to bring our young players along, you can't throw em to the wolves like Edmonton unless you want to bust them (which clearly edmonton is on the verge of). Even Chicago won with a mix.

B. We don't have enough young studs who are ready. This is a FACT! Even TL and JB said, we are missing a push from the bottom, translated = not enough NHL ready youth. Have we built a nice stable now, yes of course, do they need more time in Junior/AHL yes!

C. Iginla scored 30? last year, not done. He is a leader at the level of Messier (hate him all you want was a great leader), Linden, etc - don't need the peanut gallery commenting 'lost me at messier' - if thats all you got move along, read the point. This helps our leadership group tremendously in developing our youth (Likely a big reason why we are interested in him). Imagine our players learning from the SEDINS AND IGINLA? Imagine if we had a guy like that in the room to take Kesler by the throat? Ya...leadership is bleeding out of his ears. Size, scoring, lost a step sure but he'll also help the PP.

D. Fills a hole and takes pressure of Jensen and Kassian. Bring in Horvat and you have our three next leaders learning from 3 of the best in the league.

E. Sign Erhoff and Miller. and we have a team that not only makes the playoffs but if we get hot, really with the group below, just never know vs what we have now.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.500m)

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Zack Kassian ($1.551m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Linden Vey ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($5.000m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,282,444; BONUSES: $858,333

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $717,556

That second line looks very unstable at best. Burrows is not a top 6 forward any more and Bonino isn't use to playing large minutes.

I disagree. Burrows did have a horrible year, but I think he will bounce back and already showed it after he got his drought out of the way. And if management felt he wouldn't bounce back, he would have been one of our buyouts.

And while Bonino is likely a less rounded 2-way player than Kesler, he wracked up 49 points last season playing about 6 minutes less per game. I'm sure we can find a way to bump up his ice time by 2-3 minutes a game and the rest of the players like Richardson and Matthias can pick up the slack in penalty kill situations.

Archived