The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't we wait till after the 2015 Draft to start winning?

snizzle_

Stop with the tank talk. Do you even think JB and TL will go up to the Sedins and tell them to lose on purpose. I can stomach these tank talk only if we are far from the playoffs by trade deadline. Don't start this when the season didn't even start yet.

They're obviously not going to tell the two best players this organization's ever had to tank. But if you look at our roster, It is worst than when we started last year. In my honest opinion

We are in a prime position to tank for a VERY deep draft and it's justified because we are just on the verge of a rebuild. I think when a golden opportunity like this presents itself you shouldn't turn it down. I am ashamed to say that I agree #tankforMcDavid

I'm totally against losing practically on purpose with the hope of magically becoming good . It just doesn't make any sense to me. I think the goal should always try to win no matter what. It's a team game and the players on any team won't wont to lose just so they could snag some top draft picks. They shouldn't even need to worry about that and only focus on trying to win by playing their best. Just get into the playoffs and play with passion and for each other, play solid defense, score timely goals and there's a chance you could end up going all the way to the cup.

If the Canucks can find a way to become great at player development, then it wouldn't matter where they pick in the draft. Is it to much to ask for the Canucks to be better next year than last and try to start an upward trend? I could never bring my self to the point of rooting for losses. Play to win, baby!

Agreed. Linden, JB, Sedins and bieksa are competitive and character guys. I don't think they will buy into tanking. Besides it is not gauranteed that we can get top 3 picks. Other teams could compete for tanking, such as flames, NYI, buffalo, NJ, and so on

Agreed. Linden, JB, Sedins and bieksa are competitive and character guys. I don't think they will buy into tanking. Besides it is not gauranteed that we can get top 3 picks. Other teams could compete for tanking, such as flames, NYI, buffalo, NJ, and so on

You can 100% rule out NYI to tank next year lol. Only competition will be flames and buffalo.

This whole notion of tanking is based on the false premise that a franchise can be saved by one player. Hockey is a sport that relies less on "franchise' players than any other major team sport; roster depth is far more important than the presence of a single superstar player.

All the people calling for a tank job forget that the failure of perennial high draft picks isn't limited to Edmonton; drafting high didn't help Atlanta/Winnipeg or Columbus, either. Washington has OV and where has that gotten them? One could even argue that Pittsburgh has been a disappointment considering they had TWO franchise type players in Malkin and Crosby, yet only managed to win one Cup five years ago and haven't really come close since.

On the other side, the Kings do have a former high-draft pick "franchise player" in Doughty, but does anyone think the Kings win the Cup without Quick (72nd overall)?

This is where getting the right GM and coach becomes more important and IMO, the Canucks now have both in place. Benning clearly has a good idea on how to build a contending team and he's clearly putting that plan in motion.

This whole notion of tanking is based on the false premise that a franchise can be saved by one player. Hockey is a sport that relies less on "franchise' players than any other major team sport; roster depth is far more important than the presence of a single superstar player.

All the people calling for a tank job forget that the failure of perennial high draft picks isn't limited to Edmonton; drafting high didn't help Atlanta/Winnipeg or Columbus, either. Washington has OV and where has that gotten them? One could even argue that Pittsburgh has been a disappointment considering they had TWO franchise type players in Malkin and Crosby, yet only managed to win one Cup five years ago and haven't really come close since.

On the other side, the Kings do have a former high-draft pick "franchise player" in Doughty, but does anyone think the Kings win the Cup without Quick (72nd overall)?

This is where getting the right GM and coach becomes more important and IMO, the Canucks now have both in place. Benning clearly has a good idea on how to build a contending team and he's clearly putting that plan in motion.

All the teams you mentioned that failed to flourish under "franchise" players is because not drafting deep enough. You covered it though, we have benning, and we have 2 good drafts in our back pockets now. What would put us over the top would be 1 elite level talent or "franchise" player that would be complimented by the prospects we have now.

How the hell do you tank anyway..tell the players not to win?

Do what the Oilers did: play your best prospects in the NHL before they're ready and destroy their confidence, fill the rest of the roster spots with plugs. The thing with the Oilers is that they didn't do that deliberately: it's a symptom of a dysfunctional front office.

Do what the Oilers did: play your best prospects in the NHL before they're ready and destroy their confidence, fill the rest of the roster spots with plugs. The thing with the Oilers is that they didn't do that deliberately: it's a symptom of a dysfunctional front office.

well said. That woulnd't happen here if we got a McDavid or Eichel

All the teams you mentioned that failed to flourish under "franchise" players is because not drafting deep enough. You covered it though, we have benning, and we have 2 good drafts in our back pockets now. What would put us over the top would be 1 elite level talent or "franchise" player that would be complimented by the prospects we have now.

The thing about that is franchise players don't necessarily have to be top 3 picks; high draft picks just have a better chance of becoming one. There are numerous examples of franchise players who weren't top 3 or even top 10 in their draft class.

I think people are worried about being a perennial bubble team because of the most obvious example: the Leafs. Those people forget that the Leafs have been mismanaged for DECADES. It has nothing to do with their draft position.

The thing about that is franchise players don't necessarily have to be top 3 picks; high draft picks just have a better chance of becoming one. There are numerous examples of franchise players who weren't top 3 or even top 10 in their draft class.

I think people are worried about being a perennial bubble team because of the most obvious example: the Leafs. Those people forget that the Leafs have been mismanaged for DECADES. It has nothing to do with their draft position.

True, but usually when there is a consensus about a player that they are going to be exceptional, it's going to be somewhat accurate. I'll take the higher success rate. Plus it's only for 1 more year, then we can start tweaking. However, in order to start tweaking we need assets and all we have now are prospects.

True, but usually when there is a consensus about a player that they are going to be exceptional, it's going to be somewhat accurate. I'll take the higher success rate. Plus it's only for 1 more year, then we can start tweaking. However, in order to start tweaking we need assets and all we have now are prospects.

The Canucks are not going to be awful enough to have a probable chance at Eichel or McDavid, so let's put that fantasy to rest.

I'd much rather the Canucks be as competitive as they can be, especially since there's good reason to have faith in Benning's skills as both a team-building GM and a scout.

Besides, I don't like the idea of tanking, purely on principle—that isn't what sports is about, that's trying to game the system like a lawyer would do.

The Canucks are not going to be awful enough to have a probable chance at Eichel or McDavid, so let's put that fantasy to rest.

I'd much rather the Canucks be as competitive as they can be, especially since there's good reason to have faith in Benning's skills as both a team-building GM and a scout.

Besides, I don't like the idea of tanking, purely on principle—that isn't what sports is about, that's trying to game the system like a lawyer would do.

wouldn't be too sure about that

-lost our starting goalie from last year

-lost our highest scoring forward

-lost our highest scoring dman

- so are we going to be better this year?

- our roster is worse

wouldn't be too sure about that

-lost our starting goalie from last year

-lost our highest scoring forward

-lost our highest scoring dman

- so are we going to be better this year?

- our roster is worse

We're still better off than Calgary, especially if they don't resign Cammalleri.

We probably still better than Edmonton because they're all talent and no heart.

There are teams in the East that are worse than they are. Ottawa's probably a candidate for league-worst next year; Carolina shows no sign they'll be better than they were last year; and the Leafs over-achieved last year (believe it or not). Buffalo still has to recover from last year's fire sale.

We have a much better coach than last year.

Our starting goalie (Lack) isn't as bad you think.

We're not Cup contenders, but we're not lottery winner candidates, either.

Archived