The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't we wait till after the 2015 Draft to start winning?

snizzle_

Top 3 picks are lottery now

http://fansided.com/2014/06/27/nhl-approves-draft-lottery-changes/#!5FMaI

Top 3 picks become lottery starting 2016. The only change for next year's draft is last place team has 19-20% chance to win the 1st overall pick, 5-6% less than this year. That means that last place still can only draft as low as 2nd. So tanking this year is still an option. I'm using the word "tank" very liberally; obviously tanking is bad, no one wants to see a bad team, i'm just coming to the realization that the team is not going to be competitive for the next couple seasons so I expect them to be at the bottom. At the bottom, I hope we're at the very bottom for the first time in franchise history to pick a franchise player

This is the kind of bull**** the league hates. Tanking.

In till the new lottery system changes the paradigm of building contending teams, this is how it has to be if the Canucks ever want to be a contender for an extended period of time. I'm not talking 2011 and then losing in the 1st round the next two seasons.

I'll refrain from using the word tanking from now on, and replace it with the realization that the team must build through the draft in order to compete down the road, Is that ok?

It's a business. Gotta make money. In Vancouver if you want to make money you got to win.

It sure is a business, and building the team up with quality young kids and creating a solid continuous pipeline of talent and youth sets the franchise up to not just be profitable for a couple years, not just a few good years then a few bad, but to make money every single year and have a shot at the cup every year satisfying both the hockey and business side.

In order for our team to generate the most money possible our owners will have to take another hit in revenue this year, but the extra cap room will help relieve that as well.

I really don't think there's any point in trying.... you know we might make the playoffs, or we might barely miss it, and hope omg why didn't we just "take the year off" regroup, use this oppurtunity to draft an elite player, even if we don't get the 1st pick, the top 9 are like future all stars, not to mention Matthew Barzel is another phenom from the British Columbia area who some think is better then Eichel, so yes! Tank please! I don't care if it's harder to get the 1st pick. I'm ok with those odds. Please suck next year Canucks. No point finishing "in the middle of the pack" with a useless pick. We know were not gonna make much of an impact next year anyways, tank it! omg pleeeease tank "for the good of the next 15 years."

It would be better if they make the last place team and 9th place teams have the same % of winning the 1st overall or at least top 3 pick.

Before, 9th place is the worst place to be at season's end. Barely missing the playoffs and realizing that there's almost no chance of getting the #1 pick. Just saying, reward the team/s that battles hard to make the playoffs but barely missing it as much as the team just tanking. At least those teams in the middle of the pack make it exciting to watch the last games of regular season.

I agree, tank next year! Owners are worried about losing season ticke holders ... well get a mcdavid or eichel and you will be filling seats for next 15 years guranteed.

not only that but if the Canucks are able to bring down their Salary Cap to the 50 million dollar floor they will more than make up for the lack of ticket sales....adding a Crosby esque type of player in McDavid or Eichel would be amzing for business next season.

It would be better if they make the last place team and 9th place teams have the same % of winning the 1st overall or at least top 3 pick.

Before, 9th place is the worst place to be at season's end. Barely missing the playoffs and realizing that there's almost no chance of getting the #1 pick. Just saying, reward the team/s that battles hard to make the playoffs but barely missing it as much as the team just tanking. At least those teams in the middle of the pack make it exciting to watch the last games of regular season.

Definitely an interesting little theory, and obviously needs some tweaking but I do like that idea overall down the road. Especially as Vancouver fans we can sympathize with teams that never finish dead last that tries really hard to make runs at cups. Too many teams have gone the tanking route and have ultimately inherited dynasties (70's/80's) or the modern dynasty (Chi, LA). I love the idea of giving incentive for being competitive through all positions in the standing

Give it up, we will never do worse than Edmonton, Calgary or Buffalo. If we did REALLY bad, I don't think we could finish lower than 4th

I think edmonton will be better than us this year. They have better goaltending then us <~ damn is that ever a scary realization

Top 3 picks are lottery now

Top 16 picks are lottery actually, any team that hasn't made the playoffs has a chance to get the #1 draft pick, the higher the spot the team currently sits in, the higher the chance they move up or keep the #1.

Our team isn't as bad as people think and let's be honest here Botchford while blunt isn't the best analyst out there so I don't agree that we have 2 Top 6 forwards,

I still think Burrows and Kassian is a top 6 forward, Bonino has a chance to be a good top 6 centre too, but at worst he's a great 2/3 tweener.

There will be more trades for the Canucks.

Top 16 picks are lottery actually, any team that hasn't made the playoffs has a chance to get the #1 draft pick, the higher the spot the team currently sits in, the higher the chance they move up or keep the #1.

Our team isn't as bad as people think and let's be honest here Botchford while blunt isn't the best analyst out there so I don't agree that we have 2 Top 6 forwards,

I still think Burrows and Kassian is a top 6 forward, Bonino has a chance to be a good top 6 centre too, but at worst he's a great 2/3 tweener.

There will be more trades for the Canucks.

What's he's reffering to is that it's not just a lottery for the 1st pick overall now, its a lottery for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. So they will redraw based on percentages. However, that system isn't going to be implemented in till the 2016 draft, pending approval.

Burrows is definitely a tweener now and you can't say Kassian is a top 6 forward when he hasn't played for than 3 consecutive games in the top 6.

With the moves Benning is making, it's pretty obvious he still wants to be competitive this coming season; albeit, the picks we go this weekend will not pan out for awhile (along with last years prospect group). The thing is, this team needs more than 1 summer retool, we need a full on rebuilt and whoever does not agree with this is in denial; Botchford said it best after the Kesler trade: "The Canucks now only have 2 top-6 forwards, and that is the Sedins". Do we want to be a playoff team for the next few years or a contender in 4 or 5?

Yes we have lots of cap room to improve our deficient roster but I don't see why any coveted FA would want to come here seeing how the team is starting to look divided, with half of the old team still here with parts of the new regime's team coming in.

Most contending teams right now, Chicago, LA and Anaheim all had many bad years in the league's basement, and drafted high (Toews, Kane, Doughty) but also insulated them with with good depth through drafting. We're starting to get some of that in the last 2 drafts but we still lack at No.1 elite offensive talent whether it's on backend or upfront.

This is where I am confused as to why we wouldn't want to tank this coming season as this next draft seems to have the best tandem since the 04' draft with Ovi and Malkin going 1-2. If we could have a chance at Eichel or McDavid, why not tank and then reset for the 15-16 season. Obviously it's a risk considering we still have much of the original core that's well into their prime (Sedins, Bieksa and Hamhuis) but it's worth noting that if we could land an Eichel or McDavid and you factor in our pretty deep prospect pool, we could likely be a contender with amazing depth down the road when the Sedins start to really tail off.

It's just one more year!

How so?

What's he's reffering to is that it's not just a lottery for the 1st pick overall now, its a lottery for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. So they will redraw based on percentages. However, that system isn't going to be implemented in till the 2016 draft, pending approval.

Burrows is definitely a tweener now and you can't say Kassian is a top 6 forward when he hasn't played for than 3 consecutive games in the top 6.

Ah ok, I'll have to look that up I recall something like that but don't know the exact details.

Burrows I'm still calling a top 6, injury filled season and a terrible coaching / management year, i'm expecting a bounce back year.

I agree Kassian is a top 6 stretch (I reviewed the numbers) but he's got the upside, looked great at certain stretches and hopefully will be able to fill a top 6 role this season.

I'm totally against losing practically on purpose with the hope of magically becoming good . It just doesn't make any sense to me. I think the goal should always try to win no matter what. It's a team game and the players on any team won't wont to lose just so they could snag some top draft picks. They shouldn't even need to worry about that and only focus on trying to win by playing their best. Just get into the playoffs and play with passion and for each other, play solid defense, score timely goals and there's a chance you could end up going all the way to the cup.

If the Canucks can find a way to become great at player development, then it wouldn't matter where they pick in the draft. Is it to much to ask for the Canucks to be better next year than last and try to start an upward trend? I could never bring my self to the point of rooting for losses. Play to win, baby!

Archived