The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't we wait till after the 2015 Draft to start winning?

snizzle_

If the roster stays the same as it is now, there is a great chance to be one of the bottom 10 teams next year.

Unless a miracle, crazy trades or FA get some COINS, or we are transported to the metropolitan division. Ya bottom 10 for sure.

Although I would love a high draft pick I dont think it is in the management's best idea to say to the players crap the bed this season daddy needs number 1 overall because you guys are a bunch of bums. Let the season play out, we place where we place. Losing isnt fun for anyone even when you do it on purpose. If your a professional athlete you dont want to be told to lose. Tanking is unrealistic for everyone.

I agree... I am okay with not making the playoffs next year. All the competitive teams were in the basement for years accumulating high draft picks that ended up being the cornerstones of their respective franchises.

Chicago - Toews - 3rd overall, Kane 1st overall, Keith 2nd round, Seabrooke 14th overall etc.

LA - Schenn who became Richards, Kopitar, Doughty etc.

Colorado - Mackinnon, Stastny, Landeskog, Duchene, Stewart/Shattenkirk who became Johnson etc.

Pittsburgh - Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Goligoski, Staal, Fleury (he's awful but 1st overall)

Jack Johnson was drafted 3rd overall went to Columbus for Carter.

I'll refrain from using the word tanking from now on, and replace it with the realization that the team must build through the draft in order to compete down the road, Is that ok?

Understood.

When management can effectively recognise talent the draft order becomes less important.

Which brings us to teams like Edmonton. They've had so many high picks, why aren't they competitive yet.

PS: did you guys watch the TSN Original: Playing to Lose (how Pens tanked it to get Lemieux in 84).

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?TSN+Original%3A+Playing+To+Lose&id=455356

Yes there is no guarantee tanking will work (edm) but what about the teams that it has worked for? Chicago, LA, etc? The reason why we should tank even if it's not guaranteed to work is simple. What other options do we have to compete with the powers of the West right now?

Yes there is no guarantee tanking will work (edm) but what about the teams that it has worked for? Chicago, LA, etc? The reason why we should tank even if it's not guaranteed to work is simple. What other options do we have to compete with the powers of the West right now?

People forget that LA went nowhere with their core until they fired Andy Murray as their head coach and brought in Sutter. Same thing applies to Chicago: they improved when they brought in Quenneville and changed their management structure.

I'd argue that coaching and management matters a lot more than trying to get a franchise player with a high-draft pick. And I think we're in a pretty good position with Desjardins and Benning at the helm.

It's also been correctly pointed out elsewhere on CDC that when it comes to our young players, any kind of playoff experience is invaluable, even if it's only a first-round exit.

People forget that LA went nowhere with their core until they fired Andy Murray as their head coach and brought in Sutter. Same thing applies to Chicago: they improved when they brought in Quenneville and changed their management structure.

I'd argue that coaching and management matters a lot more than trying to get a franchise player with a high-draft pick. And I think we're in a pretty good position with Desjardins and Benning at the helm.

It's also been correctly pointed out elsewhere on CDC that when it comes to our young players, any kind of playoff experience is invaluable, even if it's only a first-round exit.

Coaching is obviously important. But it's probably easier to coach a team to success with the likes of Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty, etc in their primes. What I'm trying to say is you need both to succeed.

Coaching is obviously important. But it's probably easier to coach a team to success with the likes of Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty, etc in their primes. What I'm trying to say is you need both to succeed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with a GM like Benning who's highly skilled when it comes to scouting, it's more than possible to find a player who can develop into a franchise-type player without tanking.

In other words, if Linden and Benning do their best to ice the most competitive team they possibly can this season, I'm not going to be among those crying about not trying to fall to a lottery pick.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with a GM like Benning who's highly skilled when it comes to scouting, it's more than possible to find a player who can develop into a franchise-type player without tanking.

In other words, if Linden and Benning do their best to ice the most competitive team they possibly can this season, I'm not going to be among those crying about not trying to fall to a lottery pick.

I understand what you mean and hope that Benning can give us some partial success like Detroit has with their late round picks. But finding gems take time and some degree of luck. All I am asking for is the Canucks to draft high one time. They've never had the #1 pick in franchise history. Just suck for 1 year. It will be a very good year to lose for. Guaranteed franchise centers available.

With the moves Benning is making, it's pretty obvious he still wants to be competitive this coming season; albeit, the picks we go this weekend will not pan out for awhile (along with last years prospect group). The thing is, this team needs more than 1 summer retool, we need a full on rebuilt and whoever does not agree with this is in denial; Botchford said it best after the Kesler trade: "The Canucks now only have 2 top-6 forwards, and that is the Sedins". Do we want to be a playoff team for the next few years or a contender in 4 or 5?

Yes we have lots of cap room to improve our deficient roster but I don't see why any coveted FA would want to come here seeing how the team is starting to look divided, with half of the old team still here with parts of the new regime's team coming in.

Most contending teams right now, Chicago, LA and Anaheim all had many bad years in the league's basement, and drafted high (Toews, Kane, Doughty) but also insulated them with with good depth through drafting. We're starting to get some of that in the last 2 drafts but we still lack at No.1 elite offensive talent whether it's on backend or upfront.

This is where I am confused as to why we wouldn't want to tank this coming season as this next draft seems to have the best tandem since the 04' draft with Ovi and Malkin going 1-2. If we could have a chance at Eichel or McDavid, why not tank and then reset for the 15-16 season. Obviously it's a risk considering we still have much of the original core that's well into their prime (Sedins, Bieksa and Hamhuis) but it's worth noting that if we could land an Eichel or McDavid and you factor in our pretty deep prospect pool, we could likely be a contender with amazing depth down the road when the Sedins start to really tail off.

It's just one more year!

You can't wait to win in life, too much can change. Win when ever you can and take no prisoners. If they tan k this season, which I doubt, you almost have to teach tentatively. You have to teach losing. Doesn't that sound like a good president to set. Tanking in this day and age isn't an option.

Teams don't tank because it is not in the best interest of the players. For instance, the vets would want to try and win the Cup before they retire. One hot goaltender and strong special teams is all it would take. Also, players with contracts expiring would want to play their best to increase their own value. Also, if the team tanks, Aquillini would lose tonnes of money.

But I wish they would tank.

Archived