The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Gillis is actually a genius

Canuckler87

How quickly we all forget. Did MG not get us the correct pieces to compliment what Nonis had put in place to get to the finals? When was the last time we got there? '94.

He got Horvat for Schneider, who are we to say Horvat won't be a stud in this league. Once he turns out to be a great centre, will you all still say the trade was bad??

We got Markstrom/Matthias for Lu. How much more were you guys exactly hoping to get...Not many teams don't have a #1 goalie and the ones that don't, don't exactly want an aging one with the worst contract in the NHL (now THAT was a mistake). Markstrom is going to be a stud, not many goalies can look good playing behind the Panthers "defense", let alone a young one.

Lack looked GREAT when he was Lu's backup. He DID outplay Lu to earn that job, and we did need to transition into a bit of a youth movement. Lack underperformed once Luongo left, arguably because of the heaviest workload he's ever had. This year we were supposed to have another goalie controversy with Lack/Markstrom, and I feel Markstrom would've won.

Are we forgetting about the steal of the draft in Shinkaruk, also?

Was MG perfect? No. His biggest weakness was/probably is, contracts. Which is bizarre to me since he was an agent if I remember correctly. All those NTCs and Lu's contract hindered him a bit, but I believe he had a plan out of it, because our D wasn't as big of a deal as our offense.

Also don't forget the hiring of Torts was very likely the owners' doing.

I hope Bo does become a top 6 centre, but the stats suggest otherwise. The key to Hockeys Future assessment of Bo are the words "should ultimately". In other words, he may get there and maybe even should get there. Given the advanced stats and overall skill set though, I still feel that the second line centre position may be a bit of a stretch for him, if only because he may not be able to score at the level expected. But hey, I thought the same of Kes when he first joined the team full-time and he surprised many so I really do hope he can achieve that.

"The good news for Canucks fans is that there are players who have become top-6 centremen that have scored at a lower rate in the CHL than Bo Horvat has. Dallas' Cody Eakin (who was picked in the 3rd round, 85th overall by the Washington Capitals in 2009) is Horvat's closest comparable, and he looks like he'll contribute about 35 points and a positive Corsi this year while playing average difficulty minutes on a line with Ray Whitney and Alex Chiasson. Ryan O'Reilly is also an excellent player on an up-and-coming Avalanche team, and David Desharnais, Tyler Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky and Adam Henrique are all nice players too.

The bad news for Canucks fans is that the vast majority of guys who became top-6 NHL centremen were elite offensive performers in the CHL. Even with his stronger 2013-14 season, Bo Horvat has not been an elite offensive performer relative to the guys that have developed into top-6 centremen, and players who score at a rate similar to his at the same age still usually tend not to become regular NHL players at all"

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/3/10/reasonable-expectations-for-the-future-is-bo-horvat-a-top-6-c

or Bleacher Report:

Top-End Potential

The worst-case projection for Horvat is an above-average third-line center. Given his tenacity and willingness to go to war for his teammates, he could eventually slot in as a No. 2 center, providing the grit and sandpaper for his more talented teammates. Role-wise, think Justin Abdelkader with the Detroit Red Wings or Dustin Brown with the Los Angeles Kings.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1677158-bo-horvat-prospect-profile-for-vancouver-canucks-1st-round-pick

So worst case scenario being different from what he's actually projected to be would be what in your opinion?

I'm not a fan of hyperbole to make a point.

Tortorella and all of the NTC dropped him way down in my books.

A - before the cup final, C after. B- GM overall.

Made a number of awesome signings (Lack, Tanev). Hard to argue the team's success as well (Stanley Cup Finals / President's Trophy).

The thing that kills me is Luo and Miller are one year apart in age. Millers's cap hit is higher. His stats are worse.

Still think most of the CDC are idiots for assuming Luo's contract was so bad. The more years that go by, the better the dollar figures appear.

Meanwhile ,the Aqua man pays 15% of Luongo's salary until 2022 while Miller is on a three year contract.

We all know who was the real GM imposter/poser and it ain't the hockey man that toiled for 21 years as an amateur-pro scout/Asst Gm and won a Stanley Cup.

Before you flame, hear me out. Here's our goaltending duos for the last couple years:

12/13 - Lu and Cory

13/14 - Lu and Lack

Now next season:

14/15 - Miller and Lack

Not much of a difference in terms of quality in goaltending right? Except when it was Lu and Cory maybe, but there's no way those two number ones were going to co-exist for very long.

Now the return for both Lu and Cory is:

- Bo Horvat

- Shawn Matthias

- Jacob Markstrom

Basically we got those assets for free while still having a number one and a number two goaltender. Gillis must have foreseen this. It was all part of the big picture plan of GMMG

Next time you get thirsty, don't drink paint thinner.

Before you flame, hear me out. Here's our goaltending duos for the last couple years:

12/13 - Lu and Cory

13/14 - Lu and Lack

Now next season:

14/15 - Miller and Lack

Not much of a difference in terms of quality in goaltending right? Except when it was Lu and Cory maybe, but there's no way those two number ones were going to co-exist for very long.

Now the return for both Lu and Cory is:

- Bo Horvat

- Shawn Matthias

- Jacob Markstrom

Basically we got those assets for free while still having a number one and a number two goaltender. Gillis must have foreseen this. It was all part of the big picture plan of GMMG

This is not wrong, but he never intended it to happen this way.

All things equal, and in the simplest terms, it is a good idea to trade away high priced assets to gain other assets and then sign UFA's.

How quickly we all forget. Did MG not get us the correct pieces to compliment what Nonis had put in place to get to the finals? When was the last time we got there? '94.

He got Horvat for Schneider, who are we to say Horvat won't be a stud in this league. Once he turns out to be a great centre, will you all still say the trade was bad??

We got Markstrom/Matthias for Lu. How much more were you guys exactly hoping to get...Not many teams don't have a #1 goalie and the ones that don't, don't exactly want an aging one with the worst contract in the NHL (now THAT was a mistake). Markstrom is going to be a stud, not many goalies can look good playing behind the Panthers "defense", let alone a young one.

Lack looked GREAT when he was Lu's backup. He DID outplay Lu to earn that job, and we did need to transition into a bit of a youth movement. Lack underperformed once Luongo left, arguably because of the heaviest workload he's ever had. This year we were supposed to have another goalie controversy with Lack/Markstrom, and I feel Markstrom would've won.

Are we forgetting about the steal of the draft in Shinkaruk, also?

Was MG perfect? No. His biggest weakness was/probably is, contracts. Which is bizarre to me since he was an agent if I remember correctly. All those NTCs and Lu's contract hindered him a bit, but I believe he had a plan out of it, because our D wasn't as big of a deal as our offense.

Also don't forget the hiring of Torts was very likely the owners' doing.

1. Gillis did get us a few great pieces early on. Unfortunately he let them all go for nothing while hanging onto the aging core rather than bringing in players who could help the team NOW. Future assets are great but he was so deluded that he could not see that immediate help was necessary for a team led by the Sedins.

2. His ego would not let him be perceived to "lose" the trade for Luongo so he held onto him too long trying to hit a home run. We all know how well THAT worked out. They would have been better off buying out Luongo to at least not get screwed by that contract for eternity.

The thing that kills me is Luo and Miller are one year apart in age. Millers's cap hit is higher. His stats are worse.

Still think most of the CDC are idiots for assuming Luo's contract was so bad. The more years that go by, the better the dollar figures appear.

lol. Too bad the contract goes until his grandkids will be dead. Let's see how good that contract looks when Luongo retires early and we get clobbered with a huge cap recapture penalty.

If the return was going to be so minimal they should have just bought him out to at least get away from the cap recapture later.

Archived