The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Moore/Todd Bertuzzi Lawsuit Settled

Canucks

Pretty safe to assume that the fall wouldn't have happened without the punch. Unless you believe Moore would have tripped without the punch, followed by Bert tripping and landing on him, following by a slew of players all tripping over their own feet and landing on Moore.

Agreed on your first comment. But who is to say exactly what event caused the injury. I'm not saying Bert is blameless. Mostly (sarcastically) giving Moore another option for sucking out some money he feels he is entitled to.

When this is all done, I'm sure Moore can get a job milking cows. Still to be seen whether he is good at it, but at least he has some milking experience.

This case can't end soon enough. It always brings out the worst in both fan bases and it's high time for both Moore and Bertuzzi to be able to put this to rest and move on.

Moore upping his demands is ridiculous. His original figure was excessive and the new one is utter insanity. He deserves some compensation and will get it but he was highly unlikely to really have much of a career and anything beyond 10 million will be approaching highway robbery.

There's really no defending either of them in this situation. Bertuzzi shouldn't have crossed the line and Moore needs to stop milking this for well more that all it's worth and trying to use it to get a payday several times greater than his career would ever have produced.

Nuff said. There are no winners or losers anymore. It's just an ugly blemish that needs to pop.

Has anyone been able to prove that the damage was a direct result of the punch, or the fall? Though it wasn't in the part of the attached video by OP, I seem to remember a number of Avs players piling on top of Moore and Bert directly afterwards.

Well, that's the point of the trial - to prove that the damage was a direct result of the punch or fall. That's why they're going to court.

But the law is clear that the chain of events matters: even if the damage wasn't the "direct" result of the fall (i.e. his neck wasn't broken when Bertuzzi's fist made contact with his body), the players only piled on top of Moore because of the incident. So the punch may still be the cause of the damage, since the punch started the change of events.

To put it another way, courts use the "but for" test to determine whether one event caused another: but for the punch, would Moore's neck have been broken? Or, if you'd like, but for the punch, would a bunch of players have jumped on top of Moore, causing his neck to break? THAT is the test. Whether Moore's neck broke when Bertuzzi made impact or when everyone fell on the ice is not the main issue.

I want him to win so we as fans of the Vancouver Canucks can counter-sue him for hurting Naslund and ruining a potentially deep playoff run for the Canucks.

This. Like Don Cherry said, Moore's intentional intent to injure Nasi ended 4 careers. Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison and his own. That was the end result. If he wasn't such a dirty player himself none of this would have happened.

Steve Moore was never on my radar as a player but he did what every player has to and finished his check on Naslund. His hit was no worse than many that were happening in the NHL game as played at that time. Naslund was caught with his head down and in the NHL the idea is that you pay a price for that. My problem with Naslund after the hit was that he whined about it. If he had stated that it was a legit hit that had bad results for him I would be OK with it. Bottom line was there was some arrogance on his part that some 'nobody' could hit him.

All this aside when a player hits any player on the other team 'premier or not' he might have to defend his actions. It is well established in pro hockey that the refs control some aspects of ice conduct and that players also enforce a code of accountability. While I had no problem with the Moore hit on Naslund he should have answered the call when Bertuzzi confronted him. By not doing so he was refusing to be accountable for the physical game he initiated. Of the three players in this incident I consider Bertuzzi the least responsible for the result.

Currently all Canuck fans are rooting for Gino Odjick as he confronts his health struggle. Canuck fans loved Gino's play because he defended his teammates and played a very physical game. He would have done no different than what Bertuzzi tried to do. It is quite possible that if Gino had been playing that Moore would not even have made the hit on Naslund. To me the essence of hockey has always been a confrontation between skill and finesse and the physical counter to control and minimalize it. Moore's suit is ignoring what hockey is. Anyone in the game knows the physical risk and accepts it in order to play.

I fully disagree with few of your statements. Naslund whined about it? . There was NO arrogance whatsoever. Steve Moore was NEVER apologetic....IF he was perhaps Bert would be less incited for revenge.

Did anyone else notice that his lawyer is stating he is suited for farm laborer, dishwasher, etc... And that he could have made "millions in the financial industry "

First of all, so they are selling him as mentally disabled now yet we have seen him in interviews?

Secondly, how much bs do they think we believe that every assistant manager at a bank makes millions. Harvard or not he'd be lucky to make bank manager at 85k per year.

I work in the financial services industry. In a position where he's making 65 million over his career, an IQ of 138, Harvard education or not, would make him the dumbest person in the room. I'm sure he could have made a few million but he could have made more staying in the NHL anyways. If anything his claim is so ridiculous it will hurt him in court. Judges hate when people claim that they were going to be the next Warren Buffett so they deserve compensation equal to his net worth.

Moore is just making himself look ridiculous now. No one will take these demands seriously, decade after the fact, with no substantial proof of an elongated career that could have occurred. Embarrassing for all parties, where a out of court closer and deal should have occurred. Move the hell on.

It's not all about lost income...part is for pain and suffering and part as a punitive measure.

No such thing as pain and suffering in the Canadian court system. Lost wages and future health costs are all you can go after in a personal injury case. Pain and suffering is an american thing.

Moore was a dirty player. Earlier in the season (before ruining Naslund), he tried to take out Martin St Louis with a dirty hit.

Bertuzzi was a bonehead. He always took stupid, untimely penalties, and the Moore injury was a result (directly or indirectly depending on your opinion) of his stupid actions.

However, Bertuzzi was a skilled player, and was fun to watch. You could live with his brain farts because he could outscore his mistakes. In the years that have past, he has become less of an offensive threat, and less of a risk for stupid penalties. And though in the twilight of his carerr, he had some very productive years with the Redwings as a complimentary player.

Moore was, and still is, a defriment to the league. He had no upside. Just a pest that would delibritely target star players. The odds of him even lasting in the league for more than a few years was slim, let alone magically blossoming into a top 6 player. His monetary claims are absolutely ridiculous. His health issues seem to be exaggerated as well, but I am no expert, and will leave that for the professionals to determine.

All in all, as with most law suits, this is just a collossal waste of money and time. The courts are already logjammed enough without this drivel dragging on over the last decade +.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/hockey/2014/07/02/exnhler_steve_moore_ups_ante_in_lawsuit_against_bertuzzi_canucks.html

Former NHL player Steve Moore wants $30 million more from Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks.

Moore, formerly a player with the Colorado Avalanche, has sued the Vancouver Canucks and their former player Todd Bertuzzi. During a hearing on Wednesday at Ontario Superior Court, Moores lawyers said they have filed documents increasing Moore's demand for damages to $68 million from $38 million.

During a March 8, 2004, game between the Canucks and Avalanche, Bertuzzi, then playing for the Canucks, struck Moore from behind, punching him in the side of the head, then driving his head into the ice. After lying in a pool of blood for several minutes, Moore was removed on a stretcher. Bertuzzi later pleaded guilty to a charge of assault.

Moore, now 35, never played another game.

Retribution is a key theme in Moore's suit. During a game before he was attacked by Bertuzzi, Moore delivered a questionable hit on then-Canucks captain Markus Naslund. Bertuzzi called Moore a "punk" and said he was pleased the teams still had two games remaining during that season.

So much time has passed since the attack that a new generation of hockey fans have come of age with no knowledge of the case. The civil trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 8.

The trial is expected to involve dozens of witnesses and last as long as 18 weeks. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly both are expected to testify, as is former Canucks owner John McCaw, if no settlement can be reached beforehand.

Lawyers for Moore and Orca Bay, the company that owns the Canucks, have asked for a trial by judge while Bertuzzi wants a jury trial.

Moore made his first appearance in a courtroom on Wednesday, but refused to publicly discuss his case.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moore's expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks lawyer, Alan D'Silva, will also try to cast doubt on Moores claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

Moore, a Harvard University graduate with an IQ of 138, applied to Harvard and Stanford business schools, but didn't get in. A judge agreed to allow D'Silva and Bertuzzi's lawyers to question Moore for 45 minutes on Thursday about those business school applications.

D'Silva said he wants access to reference letters Moore provided to Stanford and Harvard, telling the court that one purported expert suggested Moore's best career options after hockey included being a hoist operator, a farm labourer or a cook in a fast-food restaurant. The lawyer declined to elaborate after the hearing on his comments because he said he didn't want to insult Moore.

D'Silva also wants access to information about Moore's annual income over the past decade, noting that during one year, Moore made $140,000. That money is believed to be a one-time payment given to Moore by his family for helping to negotiate the sale of a business.

http://youtu.be/Hj3yxUcz2qs

http://youtu.be/GuuIAia2Elo

http://youtu.be/wGuD0_NME7k

Wow. This is going to get UGLY.

after seeing that hit on naslund moor should of got a pumbling.....unbelievable dirty hit on naslund.....

Where does this end? I mean if Moore wins then can other players put cases together. All the players that have careers cut short by injuries, could they have cases? How about Pronger? Not exactly the same situation but seems to be the same result.

He is milking this WAY too much. I do feel bad for the guy, but after 10years surely he should just say enough is enough and try to get on with his life. Bert has paid his dues has he not?

Archived