The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Can anyone clarify what happened again last year for the Oilers.

They were due to draft 2nd overall if they just lost or Florida won right, but didn't they win against us or didn't we beat the Panthers, and they slid to 3rd with the 2nd place team winning the draft lottery and thereby Ekblad??

Cannot remember what happened but it was a fun story to end the season.

No matter what I'm eating my words on considering Calgary to be a joke. It's clear, like Vancouver that Calgary has a clear plan being executed by professionals. Both teams are dropping off yet it's very evident the heart of the matter has been revived with fresh strong leadership with in their organizations respectively.

I've caught flack when I've stated that Edmonton is or has ruined some of their so called young stars. I'm also starting to think that just because they were top picks doesn't mean they'll live up to full billing in the end unless nurtured properly.

Does it appear Edmonton has a clear plan like Vancouver or Calgary? Has any one heard their so called mission statement? This group is just trying win 2 games in a row. The owner keeps living in a state of disillusionment .

I heard a joke on 1040 - stating that Edmonton could use an expansion team. That's the joke that Edmonton has become. You can bet every deal Edmonton wants to make the other guy is asking for their first back. After their so called top players who's after a Edmonton player? Sure lets trade for a guy who's spirit is broken.

Again I eat my words on calling Calgary a joke.

Calgary lames lose their 5th straight regulation game, but they're soooooooo goooooood lol

7th in the west with a 17-12-2 record

Compared to last year where they sat 24th in the league at this point of the season.

By comparison vancouver is 18-10-2 and have lost 4 straight 3 of them in incredibly embarassing fashion and 1 with a 3 goal lead.

Just food for thought

This video is actually well spoken. He is right that Edmonton was a hard team to play against with lots of grit. They were up there with the Flames as one of my hated teams and when we played Edmonton, it made for really entertaining games (either I was going to be extremely satisfied because we won or super pissed because we lost). But starting from who knows when, they just became a joke.

And especially after Lowe's statements regarding "knowing a thing or two" about winning and "the paying fans," they really became the villain of the league. This villain tries to suck up all these great young talents and tries to build an evil empire that wins Stanley cup every year. The other fans in the leagues including myself just don't want to see that happen.

If somehow, the Oilers end up with Connor McDavid and they start to play great and win a Stanley cup... I can already see the smirk on Kevin Lowe's face that says, "see I told ya I knew a thing or two about winning."

As long as Lowe is in charge, I will continue to root hard for the Oilers to fail and suck.

I was watching the Hawks game tonight. Calgary played well...a few lapses but they are a good team.

Calgary has played well in all there 5 losses in a row, they were on the other side of some late third period goals, and kept pace with all the teams they lost too lately. Im not worried about them. This season and last has been so exciting watching prospects develop, and watching the entire team contribute on the ice and work together. I am quite confident with our team and prospect pool moving forward. It won't be long until Calgary becomes a legitimate contendor.

Just saw OIlers fired Eakins. Hoping to see a few more management changes and some player movement, so they can show the league that they see the problem and are going to work to fix it.

Calgary has played well in all there 5 losses in a row, they were on the other side of some late third period goals, and kept pace with all the teams they lost too lately. Im not worried about them. This season and last has been so exciting watching prospects develop, and watching the entire team contribute on the ice and work together. I am quite confident with our team and prospect pool moving forward. It won't be long until Calgary becomes a legitimate contendor.

Just saw OIlers fired Eakins. Hoping to see a few more management changes and some player movement, so they can show the league that they see the problem and are going to work to fix it.

Calgary handling these 5 losses though with solid effort in following games AND with a pretty banged up roster still

Burke won't stand pat if he sniffs playoffs that's for sure

And MacT behind the bench could signal a turn around for the Oilers. if there is a salvaging moment for this season this is it. If not it gives macT the ability to see benchside what the issues are and as GM make immediate moves to fix it

I think that MacT knows all too well what the problems are.

The Oilers will not improve in any great manner, until KLowe and MacT are both replaced.

A new scouting staff would help as well, in 10 years they have only picked one NHLer outside of the first round (Petry).

I think that MacT knows all too well what the problems are.

The Oilers will not improve in any great manner, until KLowe and MacT are both replaced.

A new scouting staff would help as well, in 10 years they have only picked one NHLer outside of the first round (Petry).

The thing is MacT is NOT the problem.

MacT has done as much as one GM in 6 months can do. It will take him time to correct the issues caused by KLowe and Tambellini. The biggest issue is that KLowe is STILL allowed to call the shots and until he is gone there is little hope for vast change where it needs to be made

Archived