The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Do you guys think Johnny Hockey would produce if he was thrown in Edmonton?

Not trying to question the guy's talent (because he's got plenty), but I wonder.

Maybe less.

Calgary has such dynamite productivity from Brodie, Giordano, Russell and suddenly Wideman again who has re-bought in. That back end helps the front end so much and is non existent in Edmonton. Calgary has also had Hudler, now Colburne as an option so guys like Monahan and Johnny hockey have a buffer not afforded RNH and DRaisaitl.

But Gaudreau would still be effective. Frack he's exciting!

Calgary has such dynamite productivity from Brodie, Giordano, Russell and suddenly Wideman again who has re-bought in. That back end helps the front end so much and is non existent in Edmonton. Calgary has also had Hudler, now Colburne as an option so guys like Monahan and Johnny hockey have a buffer not afforded RNH and DRaisaitl.

And very much missed somewhere else, too :(

Eventually an opposing coach will figure out they will need to do something about Johnny Hockey. I am sure someone like John Scott, Matt Cooke or Zac Rinaldo will try to put that kid's head into the boards. Unfortunately it has happened to players like him far too often.

Eventually an opposing coach will figure out they will need to do something about Johnny Hockey. I am sure someone like John Scott, Matt Cooke or Zac Rinaldo will try to put that kid's head into the boards. Unfortunately it has happened to players like him far too often.

Many players have tried already and failed early on, but yeah playoffs if ever could be a rough ride for the kid.

People who followed his college career knew this kid was the real deal, but I don't think many expected him to be doing this well. This guy could very well be a 100 point plus player in a few years.

I was worried about his size( Gaudreu) but the more the season progesses the less I worry about it, in fact im not worried at all. He plays such a smart game that he rarely puts himself in a postion where he could be seriously hurt, of course you can't plan for the radicals(Matt Cooke, Avery) etc who will blindside you 100 feet away from the play just because... In other Flames news I heard Sam Bennet is skating this week. Wonder what they'll do with him, I know he made the team out of training camp, but I wonder now, if they won't send him back to the O for conditioning the rest of the season.

Flames lose another :D

And yet they're defensive cohesiveness no matter the injuries keeps them competitive unlike the Oilers who just can't get cohesive at any level.

I didn't realize what a difference Hiller would make in Calgary. Another huge factor in Edmonton.Goal tending.

And yet they're defensive cohesiveness no matter the injuries keeps them competitive unlike the Oilers who just can't get cohesive at any level.

I didn't realize what a difference Hiller would make in Calgary. Another huge factor in Edmonton.Goal tending.

I'd actually disagree with that. Seems like scrivens and fasth are facing a ton more shots than the competition and a lot of higher quality chances. They have been keeping edmonton in some of these games that they otherwise have no business being into ot. Not saying it's Stanley Cup caliber but it's been a heck of a lot better than the forwards group has been at scoring and the defence group at keeping the puck out of their own end. They need a #1 d man and real good shutdown center more than a new goalie anyways imo.

Panthers 6 Flames 5 - Final , 3 straight losses now heading on the road for 5 vs Pacific Division opponents.

:lol:

Battle of the crappy goaltenders, and Hiller won crappiest goalie of the evening award. Panthers played last night and still lit that goof up

Thankgod Benning chose to sign Miller over Hiller this past summer

Not sure how the Flames let Florida score 6 when they played us just the night before. So much suck there. Hopefully they bring a better game against us.

Did you see how we played against FLA... Such a pathetic game.

I'd actually disagree with that. Seems like scrivens and fasth are facing a ton more shots than the competition and a lot of higher quality chances. They have been keeping edmonton in some of these games that they otherwise have no business being into ot. Not saying it's Stanley Cup caliber but it's been a heck of a lot better than the forwards group has been at scoring and the defence group at keeping the puck out of their own end. They need a #1 d man and real good shutdown center more than a new goalie anyways imo.

What have you been watching? Edmonton's goal tending is a huge problem. I bet if they had Calgary's goalies they'd have a far better record.

Look at Edmonton's GA. Stats don't lie.

I think an even bigger factor is the management and it's clear ineptness. Loosing so many games has effected their young core on a confidence level.

What have you been watching? Edmonton's goal tending is a huge problem. I bet if they had Calgary's goalies they'd have a far better record.

I think an even bigger factor is the management and it's clear ineptness. Loosing so many games has effected their young core on a confidence level.

I think your right about the management for sure. I'm also not saying they have great goal tending. I'm saying they have bigger problems in other spots. The team can't play defense and they have no players that can play a defensive role well. If you give them a Kesler or Bergeron and a reasonably good defenceman like Hamhuis or Bowmeester they would make a much bigger difference than say the Oilers signing Hiller instead of trading for Fasth and Scrivens.

It doesn't really make much difference how good your goalie is when you give up 10+ odd man rushes and breakaways per game. When your being out shot 40-20 on a regular basis. If you are matching Drisaitl against Koptiar or trying to shut down Getzlaf and Perry with Justin Schultz, goaltending isn't as much of a factor. The quality of the chances they give up per game is much higher than average because they can't keep players to the outside and they give up a much higher average number of shots. They also give up a lot more chances in the defensive end because they don't have a strong face off center.

It would make a difference if they had a Price or Quick or Rinne, but none of those type goalies are available for trades without a massive overpayment that the Oilers can't afford and they don't come up in free agency.

I think your right about the management for sure. I'm also not saying they have great goal tending. I'm saying they have bigger problems in other spots. The team can't play defense and they have no players that can play a defensive role well. If you give them a Kesler or Bergeron and a reasonably good defenceman like Hamhuis or Bowmeester they would make a much bigger difference than say the Oilers signing Hiller instead of trading for Fasth and Scrivens.

It doesn't really make much difference how good your goalie is when you give up 10+ odd man rushes and breakaways per game. When your being out shot 40-20 on a regular basis. If you are matching Drisaitl against Koptiar or trying to shut down Getzlaf and Perry with Justin Schultz, goaltending isn't as much of a factor. The quality of the chances they give up per game is much higher than average because they can't keep players to the outside and they give up a much higher average number of shots. They also give up a lot more chances in the defensive end because they don't have a strong face off center.

It would make a difference if they had a Price or Quick or Rinne, but none of those type goalies are available for trades without a massive overpayment that the Oilers can't afford and they don't come up in free agency.

When I think of Swiss cheese I think of Edmonton, referring to your holes in Edmonton's line up.I'm not disagreeing with giving up odd man rushes. I"d like to know what that stat is compared to the rest of the league.During last nights Edmonton game the commentator mentioned how Schrivens was hot, working on his third win in a row for the season. Now that's a hot streak.

Edmonton does need a #1 goalie.

Unfortunately, they need a Top 2 defense pairing more.

Archived