The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First Car Suggestions

Brendan Gaunce

I would not get a SUV as my first car, gas is going to kill you.

I would look into an older Toyota or Honda civic which are known for thier fuel economy.

I would definatley suggest looking into diesel cars as well as they save you a ton on gas (volkswagon tdi etc.)

Those cars I just mentioned aren't the "nicest" cars but a couple years down the road you will be very thankful you chose good fuel economy over looks

Hmm.

Drive safe.

Do not fall asleep.

Do not have any possession with alcohol.

And beware, you are going to spend a hell lotta cash on gas.

And remember....

No driving high speed when going to high school. Trust me a lot have car accidents have happened near mine and trust me, it ain't pleasant.

Just a few "no brainer" tips right here :bigblush:

Don't get a small car. People think "oh yeah it's way better on gas," but you're life's worth more than saving gas money. I'm still 17 and my buddy was driving us home from hockey in his Honda Civic, when he went to turn and we got creamed. Would have been fine in a larger SUV, but we flipped and every window blew out. Trust me, couple extra bucks is worth it.

EDIT: This is my first truck (I know, i'm lucky)

imgex_05.jpg

I know many people thing they are homely but my first vehicle was (and is still) a PT cruiser. The newer models get decent mileage and are on a Neon chassis. The nice thing about them is they ride high so when on highways you don't get that "small feeling" when driving next to transports and buses.

Blackbook value for a 2006 or 2007 model is generally around 4000$ and insurance on PT cruisers is fairly low (I started at 216$ a month as a new driver while my friend in a neon started at 245$ with drivers ed. Although I am sure you could find one in good shape for closer to 3000$

It is a reliable car and has a lot of room. Hell, mine had a 7 piece drumkit in it form most of grade 11 and 12.

Just don't worry about how you look. Think reliability, cost, and durability. Chances are if you can spend several thousand dollars, this is a vehicle you will probably keep for the next 5 years.

Don't get a small car. People think "oh yeah it's way better on gas," but you're life's worth more than saving gas money. I'm still 17 and my buddy was driving us home from hockey in his Honda Civic, when he went to turn and we got creamed. Would have been fine in a larger SUV, but we flipped and every window blew out. Trust me, couple extra bucks is worth it.

EDIT: This is my first truck (I know, i'm lucky)

imgex_05.jpg

Yes that truck is an unreasonable option for most 17 year-olds looking at a first vehicle. Did you honestly change the picture to have a nicer angle? lol. Location is important too. If you live in suburbia a truck is not necessary really.

What are your reasons for an SUV?

For cheap gas, cheap insurance, cheap parts and you can buy them for a $1000 all day long, find a Cavalier or Sunfire 5 spd. They are such simple cars to fix and Canadian tire stocks most of the parts! Great to learn to wrench on if it needs an alternator or something.

You can not get a cheaper per mile ride than that. 5 spd with a 2.4 is fun as well.

So spend $1000 on that, and get an older sports car or jeep for $5000 for the weekends! ;)

Yes that truck is an unreasonable option for most 17 year-olds looking at a first vehicle. Did you honestly change the picture to have a nicer angle? lol. Location is important too. If you live in suburbia a truck is not necessary really.

No those are the tires (it's the same truck but with the tires/rims in the edited pic)

If the impact was enough to flip the vehicle, that woud've meant that there was a fairly high amount of momentum being transferred from the other vehicle. People have this false sense of security by being in a "larger" vehicle, and I don't know enough about the particulars of your accident, but in a general sense and based on the information you provided, given the amount force from the other vehicle (to flip your friend's car), there's still a pretty good likelihood that an SUV would've tipped over, or worse - the side would've caved in from the impact and the energy involved transferred directly to the occupants (as opposed to being deflected in a flip-over scenario).

Just sayin'.

I hear what your sayin' but they told me it had to do with the balance of the vehicle (the distance between the tires) since his was 2001

What are your reasons for an SUV?

For cheap gas, cheap insurance, cheap parts and you can buy them for a $1000 all day long, find a Cavalier or Sunfire 5 spd. They are such simple cars to fix and Canadian tire stocks most of the parts! Great to learn to wrench on if it needs an alternator or something.

You can not get a cheaper per mile ride than that. 5 spd with a 2.4 is fun as well.

So spend $1000 on that, and get an older sports car or jeep for $5000 for the weekends! ;)

The feel of being higher up

More room (Golf clubs etc)

are the two main reasons.

Not a Dodge! Get something that you like that has fairly low mileage on it. When it comes to your first car, reliability should be your first priority. You want as little as possible to go wrong with it. Toyota and Nissan make reliable gas sipping vehicles. Just do your homework on a car before you buy it.

00-01_Nissan_Pathfinder_SE.jpg

I drive an '01 Nissan Pathfinder. I think it's a solid first car and these things are pretty reliable. Never had a problem with mine.

Bought mine for $2000 with a crack in the windshield :lol:

(picture not my car specifically, but same model)

I know many people thing they are homely but my first vehicle was (and is still) a PT cruiser. The newer models get decent mileage and are on a Neon chassis. The nice thing about them is they ride high so when on highways you don't get that "small feeling" when driving next to transports and buses.

Blackbook value for a 2006 or 2007 model is generally around 4000$ and insurance on PT cruisers is fairly low (I started at 216$ a month as a new driver while my friend in a neon started at 245$ with drivers ed. Although I am sure you could find one in good shape for closer to 3000$

It is a reliable car and has a lot of room. Hell, mine had a 7 piece drumkit in it form most of grade 11 and 12.

Just don't worry about how you look. Think reliability, cost, and durability. Chances are if you can spend several thousand dollars, this is a vehicle you will probably keep for the next 5 years.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

If you do not need the cargo space ....Do not buy an SUV ! Brutal on gas , horrible safety ratings and generally will make you look like a soccer mom lol. Anything all wheel drive will waste more gas and also cost a ton more for maintenance in the long run.

First car hands down go for a civic but if you really need space matrix, vibe will do amazing. If you can afford the gas then consider any of the 2.5rs non turbo Subaru's. They are tanks in crappy weather look pretty good and will have a descent resale value like Toyota and Honda. Check this site out to reference cars you are considering to buy http://www.carsurvey.org/

Dont go crazy on your first ride you will have plenty of time to figure out what you really want. The biggest piece of advice I can give is to sit in and drive as many styles of vehicle you can and the right fit will find you.

Toyota Matrix

2008-Toyota-Matrix-i001.jpg

Pontiac Vibe

ocDSCF0001.JPG

Subaru 2.5 rs

impreza1.jpg

just a few to consider if you still want Suv storage and passenger hauling.

Archived