The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was an article recently from Sportsnet with a Burrows interview. In the interview, they discuss Trevor Linden, and Burrows says:

Trevor [Linden] is a guy that really cares about the Canucks, being drafted by them. He means a lot to this city. He really likes the organization, likes the logo and wants to do well,.

I thought the part about the logo was interesting, mostly because it seemed like a strange thing to add, a little out of place with the rest of the quote. Is he infact talking about the design?

Link to the article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-alex-burrows-radim-vrbata-depth-chart-right-wing-sedin-twins-desjardins/

For a quick job that's not a bad logo, I kind of like it. It's different and simple.

And again, I by no means meant it as a "be all, end all". It was literally a 10 minute design effort to illustrate the type of logo simplicity I was talking about. A picture, after all, is worth a thousand words.

It could certainly use a little "more". Perhaps something like a (green?) maple leaf in the background, or something "hidden" in the negative space etc.

Point is, the logo should be clean, simple and timeless IMO.

And again, I by no means meant it as a "be all, end all". It was literally a 10 minute design effort to illustrate the type of logo simplicity I was talking about. A picture, after all, is worth a thousand words.

It could certainly use a little "more". Perhaps something like a (green?) maple leaf in the background, or something "hidden" in the negative space etc.

Point is, the logo should be clean, simple and timeless IMO.

Yeah for sure. Obviously there are some things that a professional design artist could make look better. I like the look of simple. The 'Johnny Canuck' logo IMO has too much going on.

One of my all time favorite hockey logos, even though in too young to have ever really watched the team, is the Hartford Whalers. Super simple but is timeless

I made it in like 5 minutes ;)

Spent another 2 revising it change the overlap (which I think is an improvement).

2zsacmr.jpg

Edit: Besides, I'm not saying it has to be THAT ^^^, just trying to illustrate what I was saying earlier with "clean, simple" etc.

I really don't think there should be any tight hard fast rules to a logo. It's just a picture or an idea that represents your team. As long as the fans get behind it that's all that counts in my books. Somewhere along the lines marketing and lining pockets come into it.

Obviously you didn't put a lot of time into this but I like the beginnings. I like the concept and think something pretty cool could be done with some dedicated time.

One thing that does stand out to me is that we don't call our team the Killer Whale's or the Orca's which is what makes it kind of dumb, and which is why a simpler concept such as above may be far more iconic in the long run.

Yeah for sure. Obviously there are some things that a professional design artist could make look better. I like the look of simple. The 'Johnny Canuck' logo IMO has too much going on.

One of my all time favorite hockey logos, even though in too young to have ever really watched the team, is the Hartford Whalers. Super simple but is timeless

uh uh . . . whale fluke. orca, no no

Absolutely. The Whalers logo is mentioned in the article I posted earlier :)

For anyone interested...

6 Tips For Designing Sports Logos:

http://www.kenchernoff.com/blog/logo-design/six-tips-for-designing-sports-logos

Say a Lot Without Showing a Lot

subtle-logo.jpg

Some of the best logos designs are those that are simple in execution, but contain hidden messages or stories. I remember as a child falling in love with the Hartford Whalers logo. I was never a fan of the team itself, but their logo was brilliant. The whale’s tail and the W formed an H in the negative space, making for a very effective mark. The Washington State University Cougars use the letters WSU to form the head of a cougar. That's awesome.

The Canuck stink and rink is also used as an example ;)

Stand Out on Light and Dark Backgrounds

dark-background.jpg

If you're designing for a sports team, you'll need to think about light and dark colored uniforms. Developing a logo that uses predominantly darker tones could easily wash out on a darker background, even with a darker stroke separating the logo from the field.ensure that there significant contrast between your logo and whatever it is displayed on. You'll want to be seen from a distance.

Lots of opinions and nobody is going to be 100% happy no matter which logo is chosen.

I whipped up these variations:

1) Native Indian theme - I like it saying "Canucks" instead of Vancouver across the top. I also thought it would be cool and different to have Vancouver show up faintly in the stripe along the bottom of the jersey.

Canucks1.png

2) Johnny Canuck and stick in rink - lol

Canucks3.png

3) Basic concept - nowhere near "done" - just a rough concept of a generic logo with a V and a maple leaf. No orca, no Johnny, no skate, etc. Use shoulder patches to give homage to any of the previous logos.

Canucks2.png

Cool, I like them all but the first one is sweet. I have my doubts it would fly but I like it.

dark-background.jpg

I agree 100% about the logos being on contrasting backgrounds. When we got a sponsorship deal on our last jersey's the logos came out looking awesome in the change room. Unfortunately when we get on the ice no one can see the exquisite detail or the name of the sponsor.

I see where you're coming from and your not entirely wrong but there's a reason those logos have STAYED timeless. It's called good design. That doesn't change with time. Good design 100 years ago is still good design today.

I also gave two modern examples in the L.A. Kings and Winnipeg Jets of recent logo updates I feel they did a really good job on.

You do realize that the logos of the original 6 teams have gone through multiple changes right?

Those logos are only considered timeless since they are from the oldest teams. If those logos were created today, I doubt they'd get as much praise as they do now. They'd probably be considered boring by many, and in Chicago's case, possibly "cartoony".

As for the Kings and Jets logos, I'd say LA's is bland, but effective, however the Jets is just unappealing. It just doesn't grab my attention the same way other logos do.

Interesting to note, that there's a few other teams trying to go "simple" such as Tampa and Carolina. But their jerseys are too plain now, and in TB's case, the logo too. Both teams have lost the unique qualities they used to have. I wouldn't want the Canucks to do that as well.

You do realize that the logos of the original 6 teams have gone through multiple changes right?

Those logos are only considered timeless since they are from the oldest teams. If those logos were created today, I doubt they'd get as much praise as they do now. They'd probably be considered boring by many, and in Chicago's case, possibly "cartoony".

As for the Kings and Jets logos, I'd say LA's is bland, but effective, however the Jets is just unappealing. It just doesn't grab my attention the same way other logos do.

Interesting to note, that there's a few other teams trying to go "simple" such as Tampa and Carolina. But their jerseys are too plain now, and in TB's case, the logo too. Both teams have lost the unique qualities they used to have. I wouldn't want the Canucks to do that as well.

Updates are different from changes. The Canucks have gone through numerous changes, the NYR's for example have updated their original designs. BIG difference IMO.

And I already explained to Av how good design is timeless. Those designs were good then as they are now. Just as the LAK's is a good design now even though it doesn't have a century of nostalgia behind it.

Carolina's logo FTR is just horrible. The new Lightning logo I agree is a touch too plain. There's a difference between "simple" and "plain" (or in Carolina's case, just bad).

Here, I spent a few minutes of my lunch refining the original concept a bit. Still not 100% satisfied but this is what you get for lunch time design work :lol:

2j1r90m.jpg

I think the stick's making it busier than I'd like but I think it needs something that says "hockey" (and it ties in nicely with the maple leaf "puck" that visually balances the open part of the "C").

Also not 100% on the "C"...probably need to take time to make a custom font for it.

Here, I spent a few minutes of my lunch refining the original concept a bit. Still not 100% satisfied but this is what you get for lunch time design work :lol:

2j1r90m.jpg

I think the stick's making it busier than I'd like but I think it needs something that says "hockey" (and it ties in nicely with the maple leaf "puck" that visually balances the open part of the "C").

Also not 100% on the "C"...probably need to take time to make a custom font for it.

Much better. I like the white background in the circle the best. If not the front logo those would be really good shoulder patches

Really would like to see how those would look on a jersey

2j1r90m.jpg

Yeah the stick makes it a bit to busy. I like the puck though (white).

Yeah I think I'll reverse the puck (white with blue outline) on the blue and green versions. Not sure what I'll do about the stick...yet.

I'll admit that the stick makes it look busy, but to me that was make this logo scream hockey team. Without it I wouldn't think that is a puck

Archived