The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here, I spent a few minutes of my lunch refining the original concept a bit. Still not 100% satisfied but this is what you get for lunch time design work :lol:

2j1r90m.jpg

I think the stick's making it busier than I'd like but I think it needs something that says "hockey" (and it ties in nicely with the maple leaf "puck" that visually balances the open part of the "C").

Also not 100% on the "C"...probably need to take time to make a custom font for it.

Nice try but IMO It's just a bad concept, sorry man.

Here's what I see as the core components of a great Johnny Canuck logo and jersey:

• Incorporating a "V" sharply in the logo or on the logo. The letter V needs to be incorporated in general as a larger part of the identity of Vancouver, sort of like the "W" in Washington
  • Get rid of the actual VANCOUVER word mark on the front of the jersey. This isn't New York and that doesn't work for us.
  • Put the head on the logo, there's no need for his lower limbs and the skates. Maybe the arms and the head work.

A Canuck is not a whale & it is an insult to suggest it otherwise.

Shaped like a

C

for Canuck.

All of us with a brain knows the Orca doesn't rep Canuck, it reps where the team plays. Just how many times does that need to be said to you for it to sink in? I can't dumb it down any more than that for you.

To be more precise, it's that OUR Orca isn't a good logo. I'm not saying you couldn't make a good looking Orca logo, just that ours is not it IMO. It's awkward, busy and cartoonish. There's just a bunch of stylistic no no's in it. That and like I said, IMO the best NHL (or sports in general) logos are generally quite simple. I'd imagine it would be difficult to have a clean, "simple" Orca themed Canucks logo but by all mean I'm open to being proven wrong.

I also find it amusing that you find Johnny Canuck too "cartoonish" but our cartoonish, constipated Orca is A-OK...? :blink:

I see where you're coming from and your not entirely wrong but there's a reason those logos have STAYED timeless. It's called good design. That doesn't change with time. Good design 100 years ago is still good design today.

I also gave two modern examples in the L.A. Kings and Winnipeg Jets of recent logo updates I feel they did a really good job on.

The Orca is done in Haida style art. I happen to like native art. The reason it works well to me is no other province or state in North America ships more native art worldwide than BC. We are actually world renowned for native art. Off the the coast of BC there is a pod of whales that stay year round.This is the only place in the world that has a pod that doesn't migrate. We're a year round destination for whale watching. So we're known worldwide for both whale watching and native art. Putting the two together for our logo makes a great deal of sense to me as it's a very good representation of where the team plays. I also prefer the simple C for Canucks. The Haida style Orca represents us here in BC far better than a fictitious eastern created cartoon character.

As I said it's a matter of taste.

Nice try but IMO It's just a bad concept, sorry man.

Here's what I see as the core components of a great Johnny Canuck logo and jersey:

• Incorporating a "V" sharply in the logo or on the logo. The letter V needs to be incorporated in general as a larger part of the identity of Vancouver, sort of like the "W" in Washington
  • Get rid of the actual VANCOUVER word mark on the front of the jersey. This isn't New York and that doesn't work for us.
  • Put the head on the logo, there's no need for his lower limbs and the skates. Maybe the arms and the head work.

Firstly, mine isn't a Johnny Cannuck logo. That's kind of the point.

Second, there is a "V".

Why would I put any body parts on the logo when it's not supposed to be a Johnny Canuck logo?

Hey, Baggins, it's great hear to your opinion! Just as insightful as Laoag telling the Canuck Forum, "how the orca is not a whale"! Lol!!!

Yes, everyone with brain can see the tweaked Montreal style C stands for Canucks! Wow, that's original & a classic independent concept! Lame!

Yes, let's slap the Vancouver Aquarium Orca logo coming out of the ripped off C because that's where we're from. And let's give it an artistic twist making the orca angry

with constipated rage! Extremely lame!

Just how many times does that need to be said to you for it to sink in that the logo doesnot reflect the Canuck nickname! I can't dumb it down any more than that for you.

So you're saying that it's ok for example...

Anaheim Ducks to use Mickey Mouse with a D logo because Disneyland reps the city,....

Arizona Coyotes to use a cactus logo shaped into a C to rep Phoenix,...

Calgary Flames to use a cowboy hat with an F logo to rep the city, etc, etc, etc....

It's not just about representing the city, but representing the nickname! You want to truly represent the city through an Orca, you're wrong on that department. Last I checked, there are no orcas jumping out of the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms! As well, the historical foundation of Vancouver was not by orcas. It was through the loggers & fishermen! I find it an insult to suggest it otherwise.

Hey, I like Haida art, too!

I've said it before & say it again to get it through to you!

I'm open to suggestions, for one of two ways to solve this Canuck branding problem:

(1) Have a C logo stylized in the Haida artwork or any other logo that doesn't have any animals jumping out of it, to avoid the misrepresentation of the Canuck nickname.

Or

(2) Keep the orca or change to any other aminal logo and appropriately change the team's nickname to reflect the identity of that logo.

I identify with Johnny Canuck, you identify with the Orca. So be it.

Can't convince me & many others who dislike the whale logo otherwise.

For you, Baggins, C is for Crazy.

Go sell crazy to someone else!

Hey, Baggins, it's great hear to your opinion! Just as insightful as Laoag telling the Canuck Forum, "how the orca is not a whale"! Lol!!!

Yes, everyone with brain can see the tweaked Montreal style C stands for Canucks! Wow, that's original & a classic independent concept! Lame!

Yes, let's slap the Vancouver Aquarium Orca logo coming out of the ripped off C because that's where we're from. And let's give it an artistic twist making the orca angry

Just how many times does that need to be said to you for it to sink in that the logo doesnot reflect the Canuck nickname! I can't dumb it down any more than that for you.

Anaheim Ducks to use Mickey Mouse with a D logo because Disneyland reps the city,....

Calgary Flames to use a cowboy hat with an F logo to rep the city, etc, etc, etc....

It's not just about representing the city, but representing the nickname! You want to truly represent the city through an Orca, you're wrong on that department. Last I checked, there are no orcas jumping out of the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms! As well, the historical foundation of Vancouver was not by orcas. It was through the loggers & fishermen! I find it an insult to suggest it otherwise.

I'm open to suggestions, for one of two ways to solve this Canuck branding problem:

(1) Have a C logo stylized in the Haida artwork or any other logo that doesn't have any animals jumping out of it, to avoid the misrepresentation of the Canuck nickname.

Or

(2) Keep the orca or change to any other aminal logo and appropriately change the team's nickname to reflect the identity of that logo.

maybe we can sell the orca logo to the sharks for their next update.

Much better. I like the white background in the circle the best. If not the front logo those would be really good shoulder patches

Really would like to see how those would look on a jersey

Far too messy and complicated. It wasn't the format that was wrong in your first attempt as much as the elements had little impact. Leave out the maple leaf too. It's been done.

Listen to Mcfly.

"A good logo is simple and clear to see from afar. Looks at the classics! They are simple."

Or

What is a Canuck? Um, a Canadian. Not a lumberjack. A Canadian. I'm a Canadian yet I'm neither a lumberjack nor a cartoon character. The team is the Canucks, not the Johnny Canucks. So no thanks.

Btw smart guy, Click the "quote" button at the bottom right and then put your reply directly below the box containing the quote. Click "Post" at the bottom right and *gasp* your reply to the person shows in the same post as the quote you're responding to. [/message board lesson]

Crazy? Maybe. At least I'm not stupid.

Shaped like a

C

for Canuck.

All of us with a brain knows the Orca doesn't rep Canuck, it reps where the team plays. Just how many times does that need to be said to you for it to sink in? I can't dumb it down any more than that for you.

You're pushing water uphill with that dude Baggins.

No, no, no!.

Come on dude, you have a good one in you somewhere just get it out. (less is more as Corb said)

I said it myself actually. Try to keep up.

Here, I spent a few minutes of my lunch refining the original concept a bit. Still not 100% satisfied but this is what you get for lunch time design work :lol:

2j1r90m.jpg

I think the stick's making it busier than I'd like but I think it needs something that says "hockey" (and it ties in nicely with the maple leaf "puck" that visually balances the open part of the "C").

Also not 100% on the "C"...probably need to take time to make a custom font for it.

Less IS more. That's why the most iconic logos are the most simple. Think Canadiens, NY Yankees etc.

Kind of did a combo of our two concepts last night...I like my "V" better but I like the simplicity/"less is more" of this one.

1174fw5.jpg

Here's a couple of simple ideas to get you started JR. I've shown no colour or scale, no letter design, only the bones of a striking design. I think you could make them work.

You could put a circle round the first if you want. But make it BOLD.

IlR2JgB.jpg

ZdSCYd3.jpg

"I said it myself actually. Try to keep up."

Sorry dude I must have missed it but anyway it looks like you weren't listening to yourself.

Archived