The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Pavel Bure: Unbelievable, The Lost Shifts 4 (A Case Study of Bure's Dominance and Two-Way Play in Vancouver)

No it would not have. You have to pass for your assists. That excuse seems to be reserved for the selfish. Keslers supporters use that one also.

BJ MacDonald scored 50 with Edmonton. He was traded to Vancouver. Do you remember him and his amazing talent after he got here?

Look at the top scorers in League history. Most of them have one thing in common. More assists than goals. Most by a wide margin.

I don't know why it hurts peoples feeling so much to admit that Bure wasn't the perfect player.

By your definition of 'perfect' player, this is not a single one in the history of NHL. Bure is not only the perfect winger doing what a winger is supposed to do during that era, he went far beyond that. Remember 92-93 he had 50 assists (only Ronning had more) when we actually had 3 30-goal scorers in Linden, Courtnall and Nedved? Remember 93-94 when he also had 47 assists (tops on the team) when only Linden scored over 30 goals? Can you make me a NY cut sirloin from hamburger meat please?

You obviously ignored how he back checked, forechecked and defended in his own zone. Making it look effortless does not mean he didn't put in full effort. How many 60-goals scorers are the top pairing PK forwards on a team?

And don't even put him in the same sentence as Kesler, it's an insult to the most exciting player Canucks and NHL has ever had.

Yeah, but he had no creativity and would run the same play over and over, which almost always resulted in a blocked shot or the puck driven wide of the net and loss of possession. Bure would certainly pass if players were open (and some did understand and do give-and-gos), but when you're playing with Craven and Odjick who would you rather have with the puck?

In his day Craven actually did have some talent, it was after he was traded here that his numbers bottomed out.

Kesler had his faults, but being able to transition the team all by himself (like Bure, and yes the comparison ends there) was a priceless asset.

They should have put Sestito and Kassian on his wings, guys that would battle to retrieve his blocked or deflected shots. Feed it back to Kes, rinse and repeat.

I still find it odd that Kesler/Samuelsson worked so well, both are considered shoot first, finishers.

I'll have to go do some youtube research to see how that actually went down.

At any rate, I think we all know that selfish or not, in Bure we were treated to one of the all time greats, a time like that may never come again, especially the way the NHL is trending.

But like Lafleur and others whose game was based on pure speed, he didn't age well. Gretzky, Lemeiux, Messier, etc. never played this kind of game, lasted much longer, and unquestionably had better careers.

That's the truth!

Players who rely of their physical gifts (Bure and Lindros come to mind) don't last nearly as long as the Gretzky, Sedin type players.

Guys who want to last usually change their game when they get close to 30,

Yzerman comes to mind as an example.

I think Bure was planning on doing that when he got NY, but it was too late, the knees were done.

"Bure" and "two-way play" in the same sentence???

There are people that will tell you that they have never ever seen Bure skate backwards. Bure was not a two-way player but he had enough physical strength to handle himself when abused (see Shane Churla), however was still required to have Odjick and Momesso on the same line as him as a bodyguard. :)

"Bure" and "two-way play" in the same sentence???

There are people that will tell you that they have never ever seen Bure skate backwards. Bure was not a two-way player but he had enough physical strength to handle himself when abused (see Shane Churla), however was still required to have Odjick and Momesso on the same line as him as a bodyguard. :)

B-But, I just watched him skate backwards in that video. I believe that was the point of these videos, so that these kind of myths you're reiterating are debunked.

ps. Look up 'the mother of all elbows' and you'll figure out how Bure may not have needed bodyguards. ;)

By your definition of 'perfect' player, this is not a single one in the history of NHL. Bure is not only the perfect winger doing what a winger is supposed to do during that era, he went far beyond that. Remember 92-93 he had 50 assists (only Ronning had more) when we actually had 3 30-goal scorers in Linden, Courtnall and Nedved? Remember 93-94 when he also had 47 assists (tops on the team) when only Linden scored over 30 goals? Can you make me a NY cut sirloin from hamburger meat please?

You obviously ignored how he back checked, forechecked and defended in his own zone. Making it look effortless does not mean he didn't put in full effort. How many 60-goals scorers are the top pairing PK forwards on a team?

And don't even put him in the same sentence as Kesler, it's an insult to the most exciting player Canucks and NHL has ever had.

:bigblush: He was magical to watch.

Larionov is a player we never should have let go. Considering how great he was in 94 for San Jose, having Bure on his wing would have been incredible.

I beg to differ on Bure being a complete player. He would set up players, but he lived to score goals. Another example is if you can find video of the Nagano Olympics when Bure was playing for Russia. Bure in the Olympics was playing at a level I NEVER saw in Vancouver. Not only was he scoring, he was setting up plays, and he was hitting, and forechecking like a fiend. Clearly his heart was with his country, and I am fine with that. But if Bure played like that in Vancouver. It would make peoples jaws drop even more.

Bure and Larionov in 1994...sigh...what could have been. Larionov would have been the missing piece of the puzzle.

I'd agree his heart is most definitely with his country but as far as elevated olympic play goes, you could probably say that about any player no matter the country. Also, look at his linemates in Nagano. I don't know who exactly he was playing beside but I bet they had a little more skill than Gino, Craven or Linden combined, hence the enhanced playmaking by Bure.

As far as hitting and forechecking, I think there was plenty of that in Vancouver.

I watched my first live game at the Pacific Coliseum when Vancouver played St Louis. Cojo was in net and Shanahan was running around being a tool on the ice. I was down in the reds about 10 rows up and got to see Bure up close. He was on fire that night, but one play stood out...he picked the puck up behind his net and carried it through the entire blues team before going shelf on Joseph. The place went bananas. In the years since I have been lucky enough to see all the greats play...Lemieux, Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman, Jagr (in his prime), etc., etc. There was never anyone that could hold a candle to Bure for pure entertainment value. Sure he was a goal suck at times and often shot first and passed second, but this was part of the package. He was so much better then everyone else out there that it often looked like he was having to slow down to let his team mates catch up. Was he selfish...sure maybe a bit. Was he the best team player...probably not. What I do know for sure is that I would give anything to watch him play just one more game in his prime...2 minute shifts and all. The old video clips just don't do him any justice...he may have been the most exciting player to have ever played.

I have been lucky enough to see all the greats play...Lemieux, Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman, Jadr (in his prime), etc., etc. There was never anyone that could hold a candle to Bure for pure entertainment value.

This,

Whatever price you paid to see the team in that era, Bure made sure you got every cent worth.

I was a kid, and thought there would always be someone like that around, I was wrong

Had no idea, since it was the first hockey I ever saw, that I was watching a once in a lifetime player.

Great video! I remember watching that game on TV. We were so spoiled to have a talent like Pavel Bure.

That video also highlighted the under-utilized talents of Jiri Slegr. Had we used Slegr in the '94 finals, the Canucks would be cup champions.

A player like him always looks like an island because he's so damn good. Everyone else in slow motion. Mario Lemieux was the same way. These players are a true rarity and we were fortunate to have one.

Right now i'd say there isn't a player at this level in the league. With Sid's injury and recent playoff vanishing act, there's some concern there. Geno is great in flashes, but not quite as consistent. OV was great to start, but has faded somewhat and isn't quite as exciting anymore. Kane is kinda like Kessel. And Toews is more a two-way star than an ultra-scorer. Stamkos isn't quite there to me either. But i am remembering those HOF guys at their peak, so it's a bit unfair.

Bure is nowhere near Crosby's level. If everything goes well go the guy, Sid will end up a top 10 player of all time. He'd already be there, if not for injuries.

Good stuff. Thanks. He was an amazing player. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do the things he could do, at the speed he did them at.

The illeism irritates me though. It makes you come off like a narcissistic, conceited twerp.

B-But, I just watched him skate backwards in that video. I believe that was the point of these videos, so that these kind of myths you're reiterating are debunked.

ps. Look up 'the mother of all elbows' and you'll figure out how Bure may not have needed bodyguards. ;)

I thought Bure was a very good player for the Canucks...then after this occurred^^^^^, I thought he was the greatest Canuck of all time.

It was beautiful to see Bure take out the useless sacks of excrement Churla and Bryan Marchment the way he did. Never mess with the guys with the sneaky toughness in their tool box.

Archived