The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

List Your 8 all time fav Canucks..

ShakyWalton

This is a hard question. I haven't gone through the whole thread - but are we talking about favourite in performance, entertainment value, personality, or all of the above?

I'm going to assume first and foremost is performance and excitement, with personality and commitment to the team being a factor:

Here's my list based on a fan since '92, so pretty much ignoring the previous players I never saw play:

1) Bure (Most outstandingly talented Canuck ever)

2) Linden (Solid all-around player, and the heart of the team)

3) Bertuzzi (Best power forward we've had)

4) Sedin (Best talent/attitude combination we've had)

5) Sedin (Best talent/attitude combination we've had)

6) Luongo (Best goalie we've had, and he was fun off-ice too)

7) Ohlund - I just always liked the guy. Seemed really nice, and always a calm demeanor

8) Morrison - A true gentleman of a player

Honourable mention to: Jovanovski, Mclean, Lumme, Mogilny and Salo. Kesler would have been on the list before this year's fiasco. Odjick deserves a mention just based on his commitment and attitude - but he wasn't much of a player.

It`s just too difficult!

How about my 8 all time favorite North American Canucks...

Smyl

Linden

McLean

Jovanovski

Babych

Bieksa

Luongo

Schneider

And - my 8 all time favorite European Canucks...

Gradin

Bure

Larionov

Lumme

Ohlund

Salo

Naslund

(both) Sedins

My brain still hurts from having to choose!

Bure

Nazzy

Linden

Jovo

Clouts (GREAT save, Cloutier!)

Gino (once fought all 5 players on one shift)

Dany

Brad May

Let me tell a story about May. The last home game of the 96/97 season was against the oilers. We needed to win the game to make the playoffs. We lost in overtime (with the goalie pulled - which cost us the 1 point) and were officially eliminated.

After the game the kid from my youth group I had brought with me wanted to get autographs so we went to the exit from the players parking lot. There were about 20 autograph seekers. Some players pulled over and signed a few, most players (obviously disappointed) just drove on. One of the last to emerge was May. He pulled over his car and signed every single request! First class act! And a classy version of Cooke, Ruutu, Torres on the ice. Love him.

Man. Making this list makes me realize just how many likeable guys have played in Vancouver over the years! Here's mine:

1. Markus Naslund

2. Trevor Linden

3. Pavel Bure

4. Gino Odjick

5. Kirk McLean

6. Cliff Ronning

7. Todd Bertuzzi

8. Brendan Morrison

Honorable Mentions:

Jovo

Bieksa

Mogilny

Salo

In no order and I might not make It to 8

Luongo- carried the team upon his arrival for the first few seasons, was, at time poorly treated by fans and management/coaching

Bure-skill set was amazing, extremely fun player to watch, didn't like when he played against Calgary

H. Sedin- strong character, and I think he puts up with a lot of bull shit from fans, used to dive a lot but now I see him as one of the toughest sun of a guns around, he takes massive checks from the leagues most fierce dmen all the time and doesn't dive anymore

Naslund- it's hard not to like this guy, even If your an Albertan, skilled, queit leader

Geoff Courtnall- had a strong work ethic and I always thought he was under rates

Cliff Ronning- another contributing role player of the 90s era, during the 7 game series where the Nucks beat the heavily favored Flames he chipped in in a lot of ways, back checking, PK, just overall stand up guy

Sorry guys 6 is the most you'll get from a divisional rival

Showing my age, but...and in no particular order except for #1

1) Stan Smyl

Thomas Gradin

Richard Brodeur

Trevor Linden

Harold Snepsts

Tony Tanti

Patrik Sundstrom

Pavel Bure

and a couple of modern era players

Jaanik Hansen