The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey - thoughts & opinions

Sugar baby watermelon

Look for Vey to be on the 4th line tonight and Matthias to play left wing on the 3rd.

Those were the lines at practice yesterday

"Canuck coach Willie Desjardins doesn’t plan to change his 12 forwards for the game Tuesday in Dallas but he is planning to shuffle his third and fourth lines. Based on Monday’s practice at UBC, Shawn Matthias (no points) will move from fourth-line centre to third-line left winger while Linden Vey (two points) drops to fourth-line centre. Brad Richardson will now centre the third unit between Matthias and Zack Kassian while Vey gets to start between Derek Dorsett (no points) and Jannik Hansen (no points)."

“We need some offence out of those lines,” said Coach Willie. “If you’re not getting it, it’s time to try something else. That’s all it is. We believe in our personnel and we just have to try and get a difference mix. It’s either Richardson or Matthias on the wing. I let them kind of sort it out and they decided that Richardson was going to play centre. I did think Matthias played better in the middle but we basically have five guys who play in the middle so you’re going to have to find a spot somewhere else.”

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/10/20/coach-willie-shuffles-third-forth-lines-heading-into-big-d/

Fourth-line minutes for Vey at centre plus power play time on the first unit is just about right for where he is now. With Hansen and Dorsett as wingers, he'll be protected defensively and have at least some offensive potential to work with. Don't expect him to get many defensive zone draws until he improves in the dot. With a bit of sheltering, he'll come around.

Willie forced to recognize that we're going to need some faceoff wins and Vey at this point can't deliver.

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian resembles a 3rd line a bit more.

Dorsett-Vey-Hansen... Hmmm... They were being lit up before they lost faceoff ability.

But here's what the immediate future will bring, barring injury:

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen.

Soooo the Vey trade becomes fairly unnecessary, doesn't it.

Id like to try Vey on the wing with the abundance of centers we now have. IMO, he hasn't been that great, but I think he's been better than Kassian most nights, or more consistent than Kassian at the very least.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Burrows-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Matthias-Hansen

Our faceoffs should improve slightly and Vey gets the opportunity to play with more skilled guys.

It's still way too early to tell. He's shown speed, vision, and hands at the NHL level, I think he has tremendous upside. I also have a hard time believing Vey didn't pull his weight in Manchester when he was the playmaker anchoring that line.

Toffoli and Pearson have been given more of an oppourtunity to succeed so far in the NHL. They get second line minutes on a good LA Kings team playing alongside Jeff Carter, also Toffoli has already played pretty much a full NHL season. It's unfair to compare Vey to them right now.

Give Vey some time.

Archived