The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

Jägermeister

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm quite jealous of those of you who have traveled to Iceland as those stories are general carbon copies of one or more of the items on my bucket list. 

@S'all Good Man When were you last in Cuba? I think I have truly missed my chance to see the country that 1960 forgot, but if opening up to American money improves their general, I guess financial, way of life at all then good for them. When I heard about how many flights would begin landing there from the US the associated number of visitors was simply staggering. Lots of money visiting, but that certainly comes with a tax on local culture being watered down as some people rush to cater to different tastes. Not to mention McDonald's, Starbucks and whoever else makes their way in. Oh well, can't have one without the other.

Cuba trip was 2007. I think if you go soon it wont be overrun by US tourists but that window is probably going to close soon. But there's a ton to do in Cuba if you go outside of Varadero so there's no need to get stuck there whatsoever. We did stay at a resort for hotel cheapness but we rented a car and its really easy to get away from the resorts for day trips.  

Oh and Iceland is a hoot. Went last spring. Pricey food tho and they've never heard of a salad. Iceland air has some really cheap deals sometimes, our flights were under $500 per person, and I think the room was about the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this place is mostly about landmarks, food and nightlife, but which destinations have you had the most fun with with regards to meeting people?

I've heard places like Central America or South America are especially great for talking to locals, especially women.

I had a blast in Panama personally. People, especially women, are so damn approachable. Some don't speak great English and a grasp of Spanish is recommended, if not required. Also, the nightlife is absolutely amazing, to say the least. Beautiful nightlife, sights and music! I would love to go back. 

Reading about people's experiences here are awesome. Just comes to show you how important it is to travel.

On 10/16/2014 at 11:39 AM, Darkstar said:

Do you have an approximate date for when you're going to Southeast Asia? Myself and a few friends may potentially be headed down there as well. Would love to hear some tips and stories from people who have been to the area (primarily Vietnam and Cambodia). We'll also be staying in hostels.

Crazy looking back on this. 3 years ago, I had barely left BC. In the past 3 years, I've been to Thailand (twice), Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hawaii (twice), Montreal, and lived in Quebec City. Also might be going to Vegas or LA next week, and Iceland early next year. Safe to say that I've been bitten by the travel bug.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody here familiar with wind sickness? I was up in the Andes recently and got really sick, my guide said it was wind sickness. It came on kind of suddenly and I was hit with wicked diarrhea, some vomiting, and a fever/chills. It wore off after about 24 hours but the symptoms persisted to a lesser degree for another couple of days. I’m pretty certain it wasn’t food poisoning as I ate the same food as the rest of my group and nobody else was sick. I ran a quick google search on wind sickness and found nothing so I’m wondering if it’s some mythical Incan crap.

47 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Anybody here familiar with wind sickness? I was up in the Andes recently and got really sick, my guide said it was wind sickness. It came on kind of suddenly and I was hit with wicked diarrhea, some vomiting, and a fever/chills. It wore off after about 24 hours but the symptoms persisted to a lesser degree for another couple of days. I’m pretty certain it wasn’t food poisoning as I ate the same food as the rest of my group and nobody else was sick. I ran a quick google search on wind sickness and found nothing so I’m wondering if it’s some mythical Incan crap.

Maybe it's just the elevation plus your stomach not used to the food/bacteria?

Just now, Lancaster said:

Maybe it's just the elevation plus your stomach not used to the food/bacteria?

I wondered about the elevation. I’m much younger and fitter than the group I was with but I’ve read mixed reports on whether that has any impact on elevation sickness or not. I don’t think the food was anything unusual, it was pretty similar to what I eat at home. My best guess right now is elevation.

Archived