The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avs 7, Nucks 3

TheRussianRocket.

I'm sick of people being apologetic and saying that this is a transition season. Last season was supposed to be a transition season and look how that went.

Granted torts flew off the rails rather epically, but he wasn't the most stable to begin with.

You're either good enough to compete or you're not, I think that by the quarter mark of the season Benning, Linden and Willie will have pegged the competitiveness of this roster and will cut their losses.

Come the deadline, if the canucks are 5 games above 500 or worse, I want a fire sale.

Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, Richardson, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Lack gone.

Bring up Shinkaruk, Jensen, Markstrom, Tommernes, Corrado, Horvat, Gaunce, Archibald, Lain, Andersson

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Shinkaruk Bonino Jensen

Gaunce Horvat Vey

Archibald Lain Kassian

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Andersson Corrado

Tommernes Weber

Sbisa

Miller

Markstrom

Let the young guys play led by some vets with enough skill to play at a high level and let that hunger take over.

Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis and Bieksa just aren't dynamic enough to play the system Willie wants to employ.

If not all of those young guys, at least most of them, and compliment with guys brought in by trade along with draft picks.

Even after calling up everyone proposed, we still have Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Hutton, Subban and Demko in the pipeline with whoever else we stockpile in 2015 and 2016 from picks acquired from this years fire sale.

Point is if they want to earn the respect of the fans who pay the bills they need to be genuine in their actions in improving this team.

After the St Louis game this? Was it the 3 hour flight to Denver? Was it altitude ? The goal tending is not the problem on this team.Some said Edler was plus 2 last night. It seemed to me like he was out there for some of the goals or just before. He always seems hesitant or lazy or clueless. So if he was one of the better D last night what does that say? They were in the game and lost their legs halfway through because of the altitude. I don't think its any one thing, but Willy needs to figure it out before Christmas. The team is weak on D; no question. Even with that though they can on occassion play a 60 minute game. They are like many Canuck teams of the past ; an enigma.

After the St Louis game this? Was it the 3 hour flight to Denver? Was it altitude ? The goal tending is not the problem on this team.Some said Edler was plus 2 last night. It seemed to me like he was out there for some of the goals or just before. He always seems hesitant or lazy or clueless. So if he was one of the better D last night what does that say? They were in the game and lost their legs halfway through because of the altitude. I don't think its any one thing, but Willy needs to figure it out before Christmas. The team is weak on D; no question. Even with that though they can on occassion play a 60 minute game. They are like many Canuck teams of the past ; an enigma.

our problem is speed. we dont have it and in this NHL you need it. when was the last time we seen a canuck beat a defender wide with pure speed? and im not talking a race to a loose puck. im talking a real skill play with the puck on their stick .

GMMG didn't say he couldn't play anymore from a skills perspective (although he was struggling at the time) but that he was at risk if he did. There's a big difference.

yeah and everyone knows that was complete garbage... and MGs ability to see whats really happening on the ice is what go him to where he is today. manny is playing an average of 11 mins a night right now in montreal and is around 75% on face offs...

I dont know what the problem is with these guys..you would think motivation would come naturally but I guess not...I hope Kass gets it soon,,I really dont want to see him on another team and finally seeing the light...that would be painful.

I feel your pain

I hope to gawd that it won't turn out like so many have. The ones that only "see the light" after they are traded away and wake up to the reality that its up to them and no one else, and hard work is the only way to be successful.

Cam Neely

Everyone blasts the Canucks management for The Worst Trade in Canucks History, but look at his stats as a Canuck. For a supposedly highly ranked rookie he only had 31, 39, and 34 pts seasons. More notably his last two seasons he had a +/- of -26 and -30.

Todd Bertuzzi

His stats are even worse. After his first two years with the Islanders he was sent back to the farm team for a year before being recalled back up for his third year, where he didn't have much better numbers. 18 pts in 52 games. and a -19 in that last year before being traded to the Canucks. This was one case that the wake up call worked in our favour.

Even someone like Michael Grabner who was shocked into reality after being traded. For Canucks he had 5 goals in 20 games before being sent down to Manitoba for the rest of the year. In New York in 2010/2011 he earned a spot and played 76 games with 34 goals and 18 assists.

I just hope that Zack Kassian isn't one of those players that needs to be shocked into maturity by finding himself on another team, and we have to watch him mature and play well for someone else.

I'm sick of people being apologetic and saying that this is a transition season. Last season was supposed to be a transition season and look how that went.

Granted torts flew off the rails rather epically, but he wasn't the most stable to begin with.

You're either good enough to compete or you're not, I think that by the quarter mark of the season Benning, Linden and Willie will have pegged the competitiveness of this roster and will cut their losses.

Come the deadline, if the canucks are 5 games above 500 or worse, I want a fire sale.

Bring up Shinkaruk, Jensen, Markstrom, Tommernes, Corrado, Horvat, Gaunce, Archibald, Lain, Andersson

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Shinkaruk Bonino Jensen

Gaunce Horvat Vey

Archibald Lain Kassian

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Andersson Corrado

Tommernes Weber

Sbisa

Miller

Markstrom

Let the young guys play led by some vets with enough skill to play at a high level and let that hunger take over.

Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis and Bieksa just aren't dynamic enough to play the system Willie wants to employ.

If not all of those young guys, at least most of them, and compliment with guys brought in by trade along with draft picks.

Even after calling up everyone proposed, we still have Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Hutton, Subban and Demko in the pipeline with whoever else we stockpile in 2015 and 2016 from picks acquired from this years fire sale.

Point is if they want to earn the respect of the fans who pay the bills they need to be genuine in their actions in improving this team.

Im in for change but this looks pretty drastic.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Shinkaruk Bonino Jensen

Gaunce Horvat Vey

Archibald Lain Kassian

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Andersson Corrado

Tommernes Weber

Sbisa

Miller

Markstrom

:picard:

Ya and all those kids are showing they are ready to play in the NHL by dominating in the AHL right?

this ain't nhl 15 kid

Im in for change but this looks pretty drastic.

If you're going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all.

It might be drastic, but I'd rather see youth hungry to win and go down in flames trying than to see a lazy group of ill fitting players incapable of playing an uptempo system.

Classic square peg, round hole.

Last year we couldn't score...this year we are scoring but can't keep it out of our net....

That is actually a solvable issue...I am not panicking like the crowds of spoiled brats on this site who when they don't get immediate gratification and a trophy for finishing last in life, they throw tantrums

I can often tell who the people on here who are 1. Adults 2. Played the sport 3. Have objective, intelligent, analytical views..simply those people don't panic every loss and act like are going to the cup after every win...

It might be drastic, but I'd rather see youth hungry to win and go down in flames trying than to see a lazy group of ill fitting players incapable of playing an uptempo system.

Yes and edmonton has done a great job playing youth who are 10x better than ours, and managed not to bust most of them right?

people here need to give their heads a shake

I understand where you are coming from...but it aint ever going to happen ..ever,,so you may have to settle for a trade or two.

:picard:

Ya and all those kids are showing they are ready to play in the NHL by dominating in the AHL right?

this ain't nhl 15 kid

First of all, "kid" there's no need to be lippy.

Second of all, you completely missed the context of what I was talking about. I did state that if not all, at least the majority -- meaning those who are showing they deserve a shot by their play at that point in time in the AHL, and for additional holes left in the lineup, compliment via roster players to keep the bench warm/improve the youth.

It's called subtext, and you clearly don't understand it as evidenced by your reply.

Of the players listed that should be traded are players that hold moderate to significant value to contending teams. Others such as Matthias, Lack etc by themselves do not have much inherent value, and Canucks may actually be better served by leaving them be.

Jensen showed last year that he can play at this level, Gaunce appears to be the most developed of all our prospects. Horvat is likely going to be kept up since he's in something of a grey zone, too good for the CHL, yet ineligible for the AHL. Archibald and Lain have shown they can play a 4th line game at the NHL level, albeit for short stretches, the only REAL question marks surrounding player readiness would have to be around Shinkaruk (who looks to be managing quite well so far this early into the AHL season), and Andersson and Tommernes, which throwing a couple of green rooks into prime T6 defensive roles isn't exactly the best.

I believe the Canucks are better off getting value for Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis and Bieksa while they still have it. Those 4 players can net us 2-3 mid to late 1st round picks in 2015 and a couple of younger mid level prospects that can play now in the NHL but because of depth don't have room on the big club, there's just the issue of the NTC's.

In a deep draft such as 2015, it would go a long way toward stocking up the pipeline for years to come, ensuring we have a continual push from below keeping the current roster at the top of its game.

Those 4 players are holdovers from the previous regime, the height of what the Canucks once were as a team in 2011. The Sedins are not going anywhere as they are presently the only two players keeping us respectfully competitive. Vrbata and Miller are going nowhere for at least this year and potentially next since they were the most recent UFA acquisitions.

It makes no sense to move Edler, Tanev, Bonino, or Dorsett as they are still young and/or were just recently acquired.

Yes and edmonton has done a great job playing youth who are 10x better than ours, and managed not to bust most of them right?

people here need to give their heads a shake

Someone said it in another thread, the Canucks are the 2nd oldest team in the league behind New Jersey. Also, The Sedins, Bonino, Vrbata, Edler, Miller are miles above anyone Edmonton ever had on their rosters when they started tanking year over year.

Edmonton has also had suspect coaching and more than questionable management in that stretch of time.

Vancouver, albeit with their rookie management and coaching, seem to have far better heads on their shoulders than Edmonton. Benning has the pedigree from working with Chiarelli in Boston, Linden as much as he is a legend in his own right from his days of playing has brought a certain tone to the organization. WD also seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and appears to know what he's doing. If you give him the players he needs to succeed, I believe success is what we will see.

Archived