The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

-Injuries & Ice Chips thread- 2015 Season

The Hornet

They did!

As I mentioned in a previous message, the league HAS mandated visors. Beginning last season, all incoming players must wear visors. However, all players who had more than 25 games of NHL experience at the start of the 13/14 season were grandfathered in and are not required to wear a visor.

Being that most of the league now wears one, choosing to not wear a visor isn't a sign of courage. And being that there is no longer a rule discouraging fighting with a visor on (as it will be a fact of life in the NHL going forward as long as fighting is still allowed), wearing one has nothing to do with hockey code.

Poetica, I have noticed reading numerous threads you comment on that you do not like taking other opinions into consideration nor are you ever wrong. I think it may be that we come from different generations, therefore, I will leave it there.

Poetica, I have noticed reading numerous threads you comment on that you do not like taking other opinions into consideration nor are you ever wrong. I think it may be that we come from different generations, therefore, I will leave it there.

Because whatever generation you come from is better than Poetica's, assuming you are, in fact, from two different generations? That's pretty haughty.

I don't really pay attention to either of you guys on different threads, but it seems like Poetica had you here, mate. The league did mandate visors by grandfathering them in like helmets.

Or perhaps you don't understand what grandfathering something in means? It means you take the choice out of hand for incoming players, but existing players who have played a number of games already before making something mandatory can opt to be the exceptions of the rule. For example, the helmet rule was grandfathered in in 1979, but the last player to play without a helmet retired in 1997 (Craig MacTavish).

Just as MacTavish and many others opted to continue to play without helmets, Bieksa is opting to play without visors even though it is mandatory for new players entering the league. Speaking of the last player to play without a helmet, Kassian may be one of the last players to play without a visor when all is said and done.

czcmmcsfz7pqehjuzmst.jpg

Any update on kassian? Will he be ready to play vs the oilers? We need this guy back soon.

We sent Jensen back, so I'm guessing he'll be ready either by the game vs Edmonton, or the night after vs Anaheim. I think they might give Kass an extra day of rest and give Bo another game in Edmonton. But then again, they might just go with the best roster they can dress and go with Kass (WD seems to prefer doing that).

Archived