The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries: Considering Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay route cut

drummer4now

BC Ferries users are reeling from the suggestion by a BC Ferries report that the service between Nanaimo and Horseshoe Bay may be cut.

Among other ideas regarding the route, the report proposes it become a passenger-only service or be re-routed entirely through Tsawwassen.

But it's not the only change you should know about. A more in-depth look at the report reveals more changes which could be on the horizon:

Southern Gulf Islands — BC Ferries is also focusing its efficiency plan for the next five years on the Southern Gulf Islands routes. BC Ferries calls this the most complex routes in its system.

Live aboard crew - BC Ferries says it will consider reducing the number of ships servicing the Southern Gulf Islands routes, having crew sleeping on new ships servicing the routes, and "rationalizing the number of terminals on Salt Spring Island."

Changing fuel – By 2021, BC Ferries will convert the engines of the Spirit of Vancouver Island and Spirit of British Columbia, its largest ships, to run on liquefied natural gas. It will also replace a number of smaller vessels, with new ships running on LNG. Based on current fuel prices, Ferries estimates it will save 50 per cent over the cost of diesel, its current fuel of choice. Ferries estimates the savings at $45 million by 2020.

Fare flexibility - BC Ferries plans to give people more access to discounted routes when they book in advance, and will consider eliminating reservation fees. It also wants to give people "greater certainty" they will be able to travel the route of their choice.

Digital overhaul – BC Ferries wants to improve its online booking system, and save on overhead by reducing the money it pays for call centre bookings. BC Ferries estimates it can save $7 million by 2020 in this way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ferries-nanaimo-horseshoe-bay-route-cut-not-the-only-proposed-change-1.2824536

What a bunch of BS... People from both sides would be screwed. More so for those that are from Nanaimo and surrounding areas because trekking to Sidney would be too costly+time consuming...

It's stupid idea but I'm not sure why someone in Nanaimo would go to Sidney. They could still get to Tsawwassen from Duke Point.

Yeah but what about Horseshoe Bay? You would have to travel all the way through ladner just to enter North Vancouver etc..

It would probably be cheaper just to take the plane..

So long as the BC ferries for Vancouver and the southern gulf island routes turn a profit (not require a subsidy) then do what it takes.

If not, then privatize the service.

Subsidizing wealthy people to live on their little pieces of island paradise shocks me that it doesn't upset more people.

So long as the BC ferries for Vancouver and the southern gulf island routes turn a profit (not require a subsidy) then do what it takes.

Subsidizing wealthy people to live on their little pieces of island paradise shocks me that it doesn't upset more people.

Your ignorance of the demographics of the islands is, well, not shocking, more consistent I suppose...

Wonder if they considered down sizing some of their many offices and relocating their vacation/tour office out of Canada Place?

P.S. How many crew do they expect to work on a southern live aboard vessel? The live aboard thing works up north as the crew do 14 days on then 14 off. But down south I can't see too many people wanting to sleep on board a ferry when home is just a couple of hrs away.

PSS

Ferries that have live aboard facilities are more expensive to build and the new ships that are contracted out to Poland did not include live aboard arrangements. It gets expensive to modify ship plans and builds.

It is brutal. This is what happens when you make a private company operate as public one. It should either be public or private, this hybrid crap is getting frustrating.

It's really stupid,

But honestly, a bridge needed to be built long ago,

There was one Premier who was pushing for it back in the day.

As quaint as the ferries are, the fact that you can't drive from the island to the mainland is ridiculous.

Eat the cost, get the bridge up. It will be less expensive in the long run then maintaining this antiquated form of transportation.

Have some extremely small interests on Salt Spring, you may be surprised that I agree with you,

Though as another poster pointed out, your not quite up to speed on the demographics.

I would support a 50$ annual fee for all SSI residents, to maintain the Fulford/Sindney route.

Then a 5$ user fee beyond that, each time you ride (Roundtrip).

This would only be for residents, tourists pay full price.

There is this thing called TOLLS that generate revenue that will eventually pay for a bridge AS WELL and future maintenance. I wonder what residents of PEI think of their bridge?

PEI loves their bridge, as it was fairly simple to build and not crossing fault lines. The route the Confederation bridge follows does not exceed water depths of 35m, as opposed to the 365m of depth builders would face crossing Georgia Strait. Not only that but the bridge would have to be 26km, double the length of the Confederation bridge.

Personally I wouldn't trust our government with such an undertaking as by the time they're done with it, a one way drive across to the island would be 200$ plus. The new private walk on ferry from downtown Nanaimo to Vancouver seems like a great idea, and will definitely get my business.

Why has the government cancelled this idea? I thought the whole idea of separating the Ferries from it's former Crown Corp role, to private company, was to get rid of government interference? Are the Liberals actually admitting that the whole Coastal Ferry Act was a massive mistake?(one of many)?

There is this thing called TOLLS that generate revenue that will eventually pay for a bridge AS WELL and future maintenance. I wonder what residents of PEI think of their bridge?

I know what the Island trust thinks of bridges.

They officially oppose connecting them to one another, or to Vancouver Island.

So much route consolodiation could be done by even making some of the simpler connections with bridges, tolled or not.

But that would just bring more people to the islands. They got their's, so now everyone else should just keep out.

Have some extremely small interests on Salt Spring, you may be surprised that I agree with you,

Though as another poster pointed out, your not quite up to speed on the demographics.

I would support a 50$ annual fee for all SSI residents, to maintain the Fulford/Sindney route.

Then a 5$ user fee beyond that, each time you ride (Roundtrip).

This would only be for residents, tourists pay full price.

Why should tourists have to pay more? Are they not just as entitled to hit up the little self serve markets all over the island?

Archived