The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Metro Vancouver Transportation and Transit Plebiscite - Result In - 62% NO

DonLever

inane why do you keep calling it "Putello" Bridge?? It's PATTULLO! Out of all the back-and-forth arguments in this thread, seeing someone repeatedly call it "Putello" bridge is the most baffling.

Quote where I said that.

inane why do you keep calling it "Putello" Bridge?? It's PATTULLO! Out of all the back-and-forth arguments in this thread, seeing someone repeatedly call it "Putello" bridge is the most baffling.

That was ronthecivil.

The compass card was an improvement plan. Was set to begin in Spring 2013 at a cost of $100M. Is now double that and still " in the works" and delayed, two years later.

A plan to address $5 million to $7 million a year in fare evasion that will cost TransLink $12 million a year to operate. And has flaws. Derp.

Facts.

Why do you throw out the entire organization as wasteful and incompetent when they successfully manage multi million dollar transit and infrastructure projects?

I'm sure you know translink didn't even want the compass card and said it wasn't worth it, they are correct. But the province overruled them. Yes, the company they hired botched it and therefore they are responsible for that mistake, but man, in the overall scheme of third whole issue it's pretty small potatoes.

It'd be like calling a winning GM a total failure and call for his head because a 5th round pick was a bust.

Why do you throw out the entire organization as wasteful and incompetent when they successfully manage multi million dollar transit and infrastructure projects?

I'm sure you know translink didn't even want the compass card and said it wasn't worth it, they are correct. But the province overruled them. Yes, the company they hired botched it and therefore they are responsible for that mistake, but man, in the overall scheme of third whole issue it's pretty small potatoes.

It'd be like calling a winning GM a total failure and call for his head because a 5th round pick was a bust.

Excuse excuse excuse, there is always excuse for their big failure (its not a small mistake!). There is absolutely no reason why such system will not work in Vancouver, like i said before its not a revolutionary concept. It worked on many cities. There is no reason why it cannot work on Vancouver.

Its 94 million over budget for God's sake, this is not a small amount of money no matter how you twisted it. And this is not the only big mistake they have made...you just choose to ignore them.

Excuse excuse excuse, there is always excuse for their big failure (its not a small mistake!). There is absolutely no reason why such system will not work in Vancouver, like i said before its not a revolutionary concept. It worked on many cities. There is no reason why it cannot work on Vancouver.

Its 94 million over budget for God's sake, this is not a small amount of money no matter how you twisted it. And this is not the only big mistake they have made...you just choose to ignore them.

Yeah, it's a mistake. For the 100th time I'm acknowledging that.

Road pricing is coming, it's just a matter of time. It's a much more fair approach compared to the piece meal tolling they have in place now. Lots of other places have it and it works.

That would be a fast track to get unelected by the politician that puts that forward!

The compass card was an improvement plan. Was set to begin in Spring 2013 at a cost of $100M. Is now double that and still " in the works" and delayed, two years later.

A plan to address $5 million to $7 million a year in fare evasion that will cost TransLink $12 million a year to operate. And has flaws. Derp.

Facts.

Public pressure to do something about the fare evaders. The math has never worked out, but then again, it's not like the people that call in ranting to CKNW are any good at math.

ronthecivil why do you keep calling it "Putello" Bridge?? It's PATTULLO! Out of all the back-and-forth arguments in this thread, seeing someone repeatedly call it "Putello" bridge is the most baffling.

'cuz I spell wrong. Just like you don't capatilise at the start of a sentance. Big woop, you know what I am talking about. Besides, no point in learning it other than for historical reasons as it's days are numbered anyways.

In this thread... there are a couple of people voting yes. Every person they convince to vote yes.... will probably be the total number of yes votes in the final results.

There is a world outside cdc lol... Not that I think it will pass, but come on...

Yeah, well change is never easy but eventually it has to happen.

Just wait another ten to fifteen years when our demographics for the country are completely screwed and then we will see some change before.

If you think people are grumpy about taxes and services now, just wait!

Unfortunately, when under those kind of decisions, deferring spending on infrastructure seems to be the pattern for the western world over the last four decades, and looks unlikely to radically change. So as always we are going to have to learn things the hard way until a clogged up bridge falls down during rush hour, or dramatic flooding points out an inadequate drainage system, or widespread sickness shows an insufficient water system (or in the case of California requires draconian water restrictions due to lack of supply), or many of the modern standards we now enjoy go sideways due to lack of investment, before anyone gets up in arms enough to fix it.

So just get used to a slide of things getting worse and worse for a long time to go.

Heck, we can't even seem to get along with coming up with a solution to the Patullo (you're welcome spelling Nazis) despite the fact that it is literally falling down, including an entire section dropping out a few years back. Perhaps we need that moderate earthquake during rush hour and the 1000+ deaths that will come with it for all those stuck on the bridge at that time to open people's eyes. Because extensive engineering reports detailing the problem and pointing out the financial unviability for any option that does not include tearing down the existing bridge seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm voting yes, and my mom handed me her vote, despite bitching about this tax. I completely agree with inane that it's necessary, and I have no desire to cut off the nose to spite its face. The politics aren't changing, demographics are.

By law, your Mom can't "hand you her vote". That's HER vote and she has to cast it, not you. If she doesn't care or know, then she just shouldn't vote, period.

My kids are upset at my voting the opposite of what they are, but I take a vote very seriously and what I think is right in my mind...even if my kids aren't convinced and choose differently. That is their right. People fought long and hard for these rights and they should not be abused in my opinion. Giving away a vote is just that.

Just wait another ten to fifteen years when our demographics for the country are completely screwed and then we will see some change before.

If you think people are grumpy about taxes and services now, just wait!

Unfortunately, when under those kind of decisions, deferring spending on infrastructure seems to be the pattern for the western world over the last four decades, and looks unlikely to radically change. So as always we are going to have to learn things the hard way until a clogged up bridge falls down during rush hour, or dramatic flooding points out an inadequate drainage system, or widespread sickness shows an insufficient water system (or in the case of California requires draconian water restrictions due to lack of supply), or many of the modern standards we now enjoy go sideways due to lack of investment, before anyone gets up in arms enough to fix it.

So just get used to a slide of things getting worse and worse for a long time to go.

Heck, we can't even seem to get along with coming up with a solution to the Patullo (you're welcome spelling Nazis) despite the fact that it is literally falling down, including an entire section dropping out a few years back. Perhaps we need that moderate earthquake during rush hour and the 1000+ deaths that will come with it for all those stuck on the bridge at that time to open people's eyes. Because extensive engineering reports detailing the problem and pointing out the financial unviability for any option that does not include tearing down the existing bridge seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I agree, it will take some kind of catastrophe as people are generally too dumb and selfish to think long term. Government is supposed to be there, in part, to think long term and put the collective best interest ahead of any one person or group. But our current government, and governments of the recent past are just as short sighted as those they claim to represent. So, we truly get what we deserve.

I agree, it will take some kind of catastrophe as people are generally too dumb and selfish to think long term. Government is supposed to be there, in part, to think long term and put the collective best interest ahead of any one person or group. But our current government, and governments of the recent past are just as short sighted as those they claim to represent. So, we truly get what we deserve.

They don't "claim" to represent them, they DO represent them. And quite well!

A short sighted public elects a short sighted government.

Archived