The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sony proves terrorism works

Armada

Judgement should have been used and real names/places for the target should have been made up instead.

However, what N Korea (supposedly) did here is not the way to react. Protest, sure. Boycott Sony? That's fine too. A PR war or even trade embargo is fine too, if it hurts that badly. But the intellectual (term used loosely) property rights have been violated, and free speech suffers, as have many hard working people at Sony.

You won't catch me watching a Michael Moore movie, but I wouldn't stand by anyone threatening to blow up a theater that chooses to show his crap.

The Sony hackers are not satisfied -- they've unleashed a new threat ... trying to ensure "The Interview" NEVER gets released in any format.

Several top level execs at Sony Pictures got the new message which reportedly said, "We want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately."

They also demanded "The Interview" never come out on DVD, pay-per-view, or V.O.D.

CNN first reported the latest message ... which also reminds the Sony execs the hackers still have all of their "private and sensitive data."

The hackers told execs they'd made a "very wise" decision to cancel the release, and shouldn't make any new trouble for themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep giving and they will just keep demanding more. Gotta wonder what they have for data that Sony doesn't want us to see.

This movie is going to make so much money...

for who??

Sony's losses in terms of brand power could probably be measured in the billions..

if nothing else, nobody in their right minds is going to start giving out their credit card info to a company who cannot protect its cyber security.

I know I wont.

this in addition to the all the other ramifications sony has endured and will endure going forward.

this has been an absolute disaster for sony.

What more then better target for North Korea. Last year North Korea hacked South Korea and shut down there banks for up to 3 days. Still taking a risk going over there with North right up above, who just can't be trusted.

There was the same paranoia in 1988 about nutcase North Korea -- remind me how those Olympics went.

Disregarding the point on who "won", i'm more inclined to ask why in the world would Sony actively make a film that has any sort of insult towards North Korea? In making the film, surely they would have already known that they were bound to piss of Kim Jong-un?

Everyone should know by now to leave NK alone.

Disregarding the point on who "won", i'm more inclined to ask why in the world would Sony actively make a film that has any sort of insult towards North Korea? In making the film, surely they would have already known that they were bound to piss of Kim Jong-un?

You're missing the point of the US and freedom of speech + expression, along with how business works.

On the business side, Sony doesn't "make" the movies. They take on people like James Franco who make movies. They decide if his films will be profitable or not and whether to green light financing it.

Secondly, there's been films depicting assassinations before. During Bush's Presidency there was a movie depicting him being assassinated -- and it wasn't a comedy at all. And while there was much whining by superpatriot conservatives or censorship nannies, it wasn't cancelled/shelved/whatever one wants to call this mess.

James Franco making a fake film with a Korean dude who looks little like Kim Jong-Un get killed is not messing with North Korea.

I never planned on seeing this film, and now that I've seen the really stupid death scene, I sure as hell won't even download it now, as it looks really dumb and boring, but again, all this stuff is really just a sideshow. Sony is just playing damage control in placating to people who blackmailed them -- they're not the police so there's not much they can legally do. This is also a business decision, just like playing the marketing angle of trying to direct fault elsewhere (that initially was working, now is backfiring) and even have their theatre partners take the fall for them was a business decision to try and mitigate monetary damage done to their image. Because of the leaks, when the dust settles, there will undoubtedly be more fallout in the form of lawsuits (on top of the ones already filed) and celebrities not willing to work with them. Will be fallout as well on other Sony related products where there is a real concern from customers for Sony repeatedly being hacked and how safe their information is with them.

There is no real basis for squelching rights in the US just because some foreign dictator and his militant pixel army + sympathizers get their panties in a bunch about it. Who knows what Sony will do in the end, but they sent all the wrong messages the second they even started placating to these people, and hilariously, it may cost them far more than simply doing damage control would have done.

You're missing the point of the US and freedom of speech + expression, along with how business works.

On the business side, Sony doesn't "make" the movies. They take on people like James Franco who make movies. They decide if his films will be profitable or not and whether to green light financing it.

Secondly, there's been films depicting assassinations before. During Bush's Presidency there was a movie depicting him being assassinated -- and it wasn't a comedy at all. And while there was much whining by superpatriot conservatives or censorship nannies, it wasn't cancelled/shelved/whatever one wants to call this mess.

James Franco making a fake film with a Korean dude who looks little like Kim Jong-Un get killed is not messing with North Korea.

I never planned on seeing this film, and now that I've seen the really stupid death scene, I sure as hell won't even download it now, as it looks really dumb and boring, but again, all this stuff is really just a sideshow. Sony is just playing damage control in placating to people who blackmailed them -- they're not the police so there's not much they can legally do. This is also a business decision, just like playing the marketing angle of trying to direct fault elsewhere (that initially was working, now is backfiring) and even have their theatre partners take the fall for them was a business decision to try and mitigate monetary damage done to their image. Because of the leaks, when the dust settles, there will undoubtedly be more fallout in the form of lawsuits (on top of the ones already filed) and celebrities not willing to work with them. Will be fallout as well on other Sony related products where there is a real concern from customers for Sony repeatedly being hacked and how safe their information is with them.

There is no real basis for squelching rights in the US just because some foreign dictator and his militant pixel army + sympathizers get their panties in a bunch about it. Who knows what Sony will do in the end, but they sent all the wrong messages the second they even started placating to these people, and hilariously, it may cost them far more than simply doing damage control would have done.

They and the theatres had liability concerns if something did happen (in case you hadn't heard, someone shot and killed theatre goers at a theatre in Denver a few years ago). It also went deeper than just a movie, like getting into embarrassing emails for example. They have already mentioned distributing it through alternative channels, so it isn't like they're just throwing the film in the wastebasket and starting over again from scratch, but don't let facts get in your way.

It's the equivalent of Iran making a movie about killing Barack Obama...I'm sure that would be well recieved in the US

In that movie was the presidents name George W Bush? And was it made by an enemy country of the states?

In that movie was the presidents name George W Bush? And was it made by an enemy country of the states?

It was made in the US by liberals depicting Bush correctly as Orwellian, with the film showing that Bush being assassinated would have led to an even worse Cheney Presidency.

You're obviously missing the point though, the uproar about this film being shelved is that the US is supposed to be a bastion of free expression.

Americans have often quoted Voltaire's "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", but things like this are becoming a lost bit of wisdom in polarized country, or by foreigners that don't grasp the concept of the American first amendment.

Americans have often quoted Voltaire's "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", but things like this are becoming a lost bit of wisdom in polarized country, or by foreigners that don't grasp the concept of the American first amendment.

I think the main issue some people have is the hypocrisy of it all. With the Bush movie, even the liberal politicians were saying it was despicable and reprehensible. With this one, they have no qualms about a sitting foreign leader being assassinated on film.

There is blame on all sides with this. Go ahead and make your movie, but don't be shocked and upset if someone decides to do a bit of damage to your side.

Well I was about 3 years old, so please indulge me.

South Korea is still South Korea, and there was no invasion or anything besides political posturing.

People were also paranoid about the Sochi games, especially with all the anti-Russian propaganda coming from US and Canadian media, it turned out fine as well.

So odds are, nothing is going to happen other than political posturing by North Korea.

Archived