The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sony proves terrorism works

Armada

Let Fox News show it instead of Hannity and O'Reilly. In the meantime, maybe you've heard of something called liability....

Chicago securities attorney Andrew Stoltmann argued that movie theater operators' decision to pull showings of The Interview might have been prudent to protect themselves from lawsuits in the event of an actual attack.

The fact that a theater is showing it, and there is arguably this credible threat out there, invites a massive sum of litigation and liability if something should happen, said Stoltmann, an adjunct securities law professor at the Northwestern University School of Law. He noted that if a violent incident took place, the theaters and Sony could be on the hook.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-sony-interview-north-korea-20141217-story.html#page=1

They just need a warning label on the theater entrance..... * Warning* we are not responsible if you get killed/injured watching The Interview or any other movie here. If you are a scared of NK threats please go home and cry into a tissue.

Maybe it's a marketing ploy. Watch them change their mind and release it in a month and blow away the box office. They're receiving a huge amount of free marketing at the moment, I wouldn't say it's out of the question if they planned on capitalizing on it.

Highly unlikely, but if this is true it would be absolute genius.

Highly unlikely, but if this is true it would be absolute genius.

Not exactly genius. There's 100TB of info out there, some of it highly personal and sensitive. Employees just launched a class-action lawsuit against Sony Pictures for leaking that data. They've also lost a ton of brand power, productivity, and reputation. I guarantee quite a few people have lost their jobs already. The scale of this is massive and will only get bigger.

I'd say there's a 0% chance this is a marketing move for a Seth Rogan movie (that will never be released).

Sony Corp lost $1.4 billion dollars US in the year ending March 2014. Sony Entertainment has long been one of their most profitable divisions. Now this.

Expect a sales drop across the board on pretty well all Sony products. Almost everything they sell is in a market with many other brand choices. Brands that havent been tarnished like this.

Sony Corp lost $1.4 billion dollars US in the year ending March 2014. Sony Entertainment has long been one of their most profitable divisions. Now this.

Expect a sales drop across the board on pretty well all Sony products. Almost everything they sell is in a market with many other brand choices. Brands that havent been tarnished like this.

Honestly is it really that bad?

So they got hacked.. I doubt it will have a serious impact on their overall brand. People will still continue to purchase PS4's, Bravia TV's, Sony Cell Phones etc...

IMO the thing that should have hurt the most is when they got caught for racial slurs against Obama. I am surprised that didn't cause an uproar or something in the black community.. Where is Al Sharpton when you need him?

George R.R. Martin Offers His Own Theater To Show 'The Interview' and Slams Sony's 'Corporate Cowardice'
By Jake VyperDecember 19, 2014 4:14 AM

America's five biggest movie chains might have backed out from showing The Interview, but there's at least one theater owner who's not terrified to unleash the controversial comedy in public: Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin.

Martin owns the Jean Cocteau Cinema in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and announced he'd be glad to screen the North Korea-bashing film any time, no matter if it's good or not.

Posting on his LiveJournal with a "pissed off" alien avatar, Martin slamm Sony for canceling the film's theatrical release, and at theater chains for "declining to show a film because Kim Jong-un objects to being mocked," even though many independent cinemas still decided to show the film.

"The level of corporate cowardice here astonishes me. It's a good thing these guys weren't around when Charlie Chaplin made THE GREAT DICTATOR. If Kim Jong-Un scares them, Adolf Hitler would have had them crapting in their smallclothes."

Martin concluded his post by inviting Seth Rogen and James Franco to host their premiere in sunny New Mexico: "Come to Santa Fe, Seth, we'll show your film for you."
Would you like to watch The Interview in George R.R. Martin's theater?

http://www.epicstream.com/news/536/George+R.R.+Martin+Offers+His+Own+Theater+To+Show+%27The+Interview%27+and+Slams+Sony%27s+%27Corporate+Cowardice%27?fb_action_ids=10153484670978636&fb_action_types=og.shares

Honestly is it really that bad?

So they got hacked.. I doubt it will have a serious impact on their overall brand. People will still continue to purchase PS4's, Bravia TV's, Sony Cell Phones etc...

It wont be a huge sales drop but I expect it will be noticeable enough to put them below target on most hardware sales. Except for the PS4 theres no product they sell that a customer cant get a comparable item from any one of a host of competitors. For a company already bleeding money and with poor stock performance this doesnt help.

Even with the PS4 potential customers that are on the fence over Xbox One/PS4 are getting a slight nudge Xboxs way.

This situation wont kill the company or anything but they have been struggling for a while now. Their stock didnt rebound after 2008 like everybody elses did. They dont need any extra holes in their ship.

North Korea should do some more trolling and announce a movie about assassinating Obama and see if the Americans are still on the satire / freedom of expression train regarding that.

Already done in the US, but not for Obama -- in this film Bush is assassinated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_%282006_film%29

Already done in the US, but not for Obama -- in this film Bush is assassinated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_%282006_film%29

Gretchen Esell of the Texas Republican Party described the subject matter saying, "I find this shocking, I find it disturbing. I don't know if there are many people in America who would want to watch something like that."[7] Hillary Clinton, then junior United States Senator from New York, told The Journal News of Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties at the annual New Castle Community Day in Chappaqua that, "I think it's despicable. I think it's absolutely outrageous. That anyone would even attempt to profit on such a horrible scenario makes me sick."

Compare that with the tone of American politicians regarding this movie.

I remember the American public was quite sensitive whenever the subject of assassinating an American president on TV comes up.

its actually quite a taboo subject in Hollywood. There are not many countries who appreciate films getting made about the assassination of their world leaders.

the hypocrisy hurts my head. Especially considering the fact that the US has recently used cyber attacks to cause physical damage to countries it didn't like (stuxtnet worm being a prime example)

Archived