The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Texas closer to open carry of handguns

Mr. Ambien

What's safer? One crazy person carrying one or one crazy person and 30 normal people carrying one? People don't care about laws, anyone who is really inclined can get a gun easily, even in places where it's banned. Now, if guns were legal, but no one really bought into it, then it'd be more dangerous; however, if everyone owned a gun I don't think there wouldn't be as many mass shootings as there is right now.

Top 20 US States by the Least Amount of Gun Murders (per # of inhabitants):

1-Vermont

2-New Hampshire

3-Hawaii

4-North Dakota

5-Iowa

6-Maine

7-Idaho

8-Utah

9-Wyoming

10-Oregon

11-South Dakota

12-Minnesota

13-Montana

14-Colorado

15-Washington

16-Rhode Island

17-West Virginia

18-Wisconsin

19-Nebraska

20-Massachusetts

Top 20 US States by Gun Ownership Percentage

1-Wyoming-59.7%

2-Alaska-57.8%

3-Montana-57.7%

4-South Dakota-56.6%

5-West Virginia-55.4%

6-Idaho-55.3%

7-Mississippi-55.3%

8-Alabama-51.7%

9-North Dakota-50.7%

10-Kentucky-47.7%

11-Wisconsin-44.4%

12-Louisiana-44.1%

13-Utah-43.9%

14-Tennessee-43.9%

15-Iowa-42.9%

16-Oklahoma-42.9%

17-South Carolina-42.3%

18-Kansas-42.1%

19-Vermont-42%

20-Minnesota-41.7%

Bolded states that made both lists.

As we can see, a lot of the states with high gun ownership rates don't even have that many gun related deaths.

Now Top 20 for Least Overall Murder (per # of inhabitants):

1-New Hampshire

2-Vermont

3-Iowa

4-Idaho

5-North Dakota

6-Wyoming

7-Minnesota

8-South Dakota

9-Hawaii

10-Maine

11-Utah

12-Oregon

13-Montana

14-Washington

15-Colorado

16-Wisconsin

17-Nebraska

18-Rhode Island

19-West Virginia

20-Indiana

Bolded states that also made the top 20 for gun ownership.

As we can see a lot of the more armed states don't have as many overall murders. Also, that also doesn't even account for assault.

More guns doesn't necessarily mean more murder.

I love how people cherry pick comments. You might want to look up in what I wrote. I specifically said, guns aren't the problem.

The irresponsible owners are. However I do question the rationale on why you need high capacity magazines, or a .50 BMG.

There is a factor in your stats that you didn't take into account. The majority of those states have lower populations and are more rural, compared to California, New York, Texas and Florida.

I love how people cherry pick comments. You might want to look up in what I wrote. I specifically said, guns aren't the problem.

The irresponsible owners are. However I do question the rationale on why you need high capacity magazines, or a .50 BMG.

There is a factor in your stats that you didn't take into account. The majority of those states have lower populations and are more rural, compared to California, New York, Texas and Florida.

To answer your bold: Ferguson.

The poor store owner that got robbed by Brown, then had his store looted/set on fire, would have been justified in using one of those.

Unfortunately, many Canadians, while accusing Americans of being unable to understand foreign concepts or to put themselves in someone else's shoes, commit the very same act when discussing Americans and gun rights, among other things.

This is a pretty lame post. Rural versus urban would be a useful distinction...

The majority of those states have lower populations and are more rural, compared to California, New York, Texas and Florida.

Fine, I'll compare US crime rate (per capita) to that of the rest of the G.7. (all of which have tighter gun control):

0.10170709747 UK

0.08058626196 France

0.07063605016 Canada

0.05705378492 Germany

0.03720708813 US

0.03669628029 Italy

0.02242681775 Japan

Only beat out by Italy & Japan, which probably has a lot to do with their societies.

Anyways, I'll go back to my original train of thought, since this is my main point:

If all people own guns and somebody starts a mass shooting in a public area, it would be a lot easier to cancel out if everyone owned a gun, than if nobody did, so he could fire at will.

There's no way to keep guns out of the hands of people who want them and people will continue to commit violent crime regardless (even if they use knives, bats, etc.) Also, if you were wanting to rape someone, would you more likely rape someone armed with a gun or one without a gun?

Fine, I'll compare US crime rate (per capita) to that of the rest of the G.7. (all of which have tighter gun control):

0.10170709747 UK

0.08058626196 France

0.07063605016 Canada

0.05705378492 Germany

0.03720708813 US

0.03669628029 Italy

0.02242681775 Japan

Only beat out by Italy & Japan, which probably has a lot to do with their societies.

Anyways, I'll go back to my original train of thought, since this is my main point:

If all people own guns and somebody starts a mass shooting in a public area, it would be a lot easier to cancel out if everyone owned a gun, than if nobody did, so he could fire at will.

There's no way to keep guns out of the hands of people who want them and people will continue to commit violent crime regardless (even if they use knives, bats, etc.) Also, if you were wanting to rape someone, would you more likely rape someone armed with a gun or one without a gun?

You and I likely agree on this subject, but I have a few issues:

Where are you getting your sources? It's plagiarism to cut and paste things without sourcing them.

I don't even need to Google search your post and find your source to make a logical presumption that these figures likely blend violent crimes and non-violent (especially property crime). This is an important distinction, because compared to the US, Canada would have more relative crime rate if you blended the two, but because most property crime in Canada is not associated with violent crime, there's no reason to combine the two. Comparing violent crime rates would tell a completely different story about how dangerous Canada is versus, say, the US, whereas comparing overall crime rates would paint Canada as more violent than it really is.

I don't even need to Google search your post and find your source to make a logical presumption that these figures likely blend violent crimes and non-violent (especially property crime). This is an important distinction, because compared to the US, Canada would have more relative crime rate if you blended the two, but because most property crime in Canada is not associated with violent crime, there's no reason to combine the two. Comparing violent crime rates would tell a completely different story about how dangerous Canada is versus, say, the US, whereas comparing overall crime rates would paint Canada as more violent than it really is.

You're right, I double checked the site I used.

However, several articles on the Internet with facts have illustrated my point, this was probably one of the best written: http://www.infowars.com/statistics-prove-more-guns-less-crime/

Info Wars' does have a bad reputation, but this article is all backed by statistics and lays out some important facts like how after Chicago banned hand guns, more people were being killed with hand guns (criminals don't care about hand gun laws). Also, it mentions how Australia & the UK who both have very tight gun control, see a large amount of violent crimes. Britain specifically saw there's spike after they banned guns. Also shows other statistics that violent crime will go down when more people own guns.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05/14/disarming-realities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/ This article also alludes to a similar conclusion.

i dont go to the gym and work out to prepare for altercations because i know that if i beat somebody up ill get charged.

Why would i buy a gun? I love shooting guns for sport but as far as holding one for protection goes i dont think that would ever be necessary. We live in a society that frowns upon murder and violence and i project what i want to see.

If the person has to be examined and licensed in order to open carry as well as lengthy background checks then I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. Law abiding citizens aren't the people you want to keep away from firearms.

The real problem arises when a criminal lays eyes on someone carrying, and decides to steal it. Guns falling into the wrong hands is what is dangerous. It might be a death wish trying to disarm someone, but it does happen.

While I partially agree with you, I'm sure being able to openly carry can lead to unnecessary escalations as seeing someone with a gun in many situations can be perceived as threatening.

Not really. I was down in Bellingham with a buddy a while back. Noticed a guy that had his firearm holstered on his hip. He was walking in the gas station. Did I feel unsafe? Not at all. Walked right in the gas station behind him.

Pretty obvious he wasn't about to commit a crime.

Not just anyone can open carry, or conceal carry for that matter. There is extensive back ground checks from what I've heard.

Firearm is a great equalizer. If you're like 6'5 230lb, a MMA fanatic and a gym rat... you're probably gonna be more confident going into and escalating a fight with some other guy who is only 5'6, 120lbs and sporting a medical alert bracelet. Now if you're both walking around, you both openly packing a glock, you no longer have any advantage in a confrontation. The scrawny guy may be equally, or even better, in handling a firearm.... there's no way to tell, thus the need to get physical will be pointless... thus hopefully any problems will be dealt with rationally.

I remember Chris Rock with a quote, something along the lines of "You got pecs? I got tech!"

Because that's what I wrote? Please re-read.

I read it thoroughly the first time.

If you think this does not happen then why bring it up as an example.

So when we look at history do we see men who possess guns working out their problems rationally ?

10,000 Kids Are Injured Or Killed By Guns Each Year In The U.S.

by Tara Culp-Resslerbird_blue_16.png Posted on

January 27, 2014 at 9:00 am

Updated: January 27, 2014 at 4:47 pm

"10,000 Kids Are Injured Or Killed By Guns Each Year In The U.S."

Share:

facebook32.gif twitter32.gif
sandy-hook-638x458.jpg

Jimmy Greene and Nelba Marquez-Greene hold a portrait of their daughter, Sandy Hook School shooting victim Ana Marquez-Greene

CREDIT: AP Photo/Jessica Hill

Injuries from firearms send an estimated 7,000 kids to the ER every year, and an additional 3,000 children die from gunshot wounds before they can get to a hospital, according to a new study published in the journal Pediatrics. Doctors are pointing to the new data as further evidence of the serious public health toll that gun violence takes on America’s youth.

The new study drilled down some of the data from a 2009 survey of kids’ pediatric stays. That year, the majority of kids’ gunshot injuries — 4,559 — resulted from intentional assaults with a firearm. An additional 2,149 were accidents, and 270 were suicide attempts. About six percent of the children who made it to the ER ended up dying in the hospital from their injuries, which are typically open wounds, fractures, or brain or spinal injuries.

“This study reinforces what we know from the mortality data,” Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, told NBC News. “We have an extraordinary health burden in our youth associated with firearms injuries.”

Webster pointed out that the United States’ rate of mortality from firearms is about ten times higher than the rates in other wealthy nations. “This is a very unique and abnormal problem that such a wealthy nation should have such high mortality and morbidity in youth related to firearms,” he noted.

The number of kids being killed by guns in the U.S. has been steadily rising over the past several decades, and the issue has captured headlines as the number of school shootings has intensified. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) estimates that firearms are one of the top three causes of death among children, killing twice as many kids as cancer does. In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, which killed 20 young children, the AAP has stepped up its efforts to lobby for gun violence prevention.

“America’s pediatricians remain undeterred and united in our desire to see significant policy change to address this public health crisis,” the AAP wrote in a statement released on the one-year anniversary of Sandy Hook.

There are some concrete policy solutions that could help address this issue. Webster suggests raising the legal age to purchase a handgun to 21, since research has demonstrated that there’s a peak in gun violence among youth between the ages of 18 and 20. The AAP has also pushed for expanded background checks and safe storage to ensure that guns aren’t falling into the wrong hands. And more states could move to make adults criminally liable for allowing kids to have access to guns.

I read it thoroughly the first time.

If you think this does not happen then why bring it up as an example.

So when we look at history do we see men who possess guns working out their problems rationally ?

You wrote...

So 6'5 230lb MMA fighters go looking for 5'6 120lb guys with medical alert bracelets to beat up on in canada do they ?

No where did I ever wrote "go looking", you're just assuming that part. I'm just insinuating how the difference in strength/size/ability may make one party more likely to leverage their own advantage, should they have the opportunity to.

Open carry is almost like the equivalent to Mutual Assured Destruction... thus rational people don't engage in discharging firearms to solve petty problems. The key word here is "rational".

As for how many people who possess guns resolve their problems peacefully.... those inactions don't get written. Like air flights... safe trips don't make the news, only the ones that crashes or disappears does.

You wrote...

No where did I ever wrote "go looking", you're just assuming that part. I'm just insinuating how the difference in strength/size/ability may make one party more likely to leverage their own advantage, should they have the opportunity to.

Open carry is almost like the equivalent to Mutual Assured Destruction... thus rational people don't engage in discharging firearms to solve petty problems. The key word here is "rational".

As for how many people who possess guns resolve their problems peacefully.... those inactions don't get written. Like air flights... safe trips don't make the news, only the ones that crashes or disappears does.

So just in case there is a 6'5 230 lb MMA fighter that might hassle any one that is smaller than them everyone should carry a gun to feel safe ?

Only an idiot believes that people with guns are more likely to work out their problems rationally, history clearly demonstrates that men with guns are more likely to exacerbate existing problems.

So just in case there is a 6'5 230 lb MMA fighter that might hassle any one that is smaller than them everyone should carry a gun to feel safe ?

Only an idiot believes that people with guns are more likely to work out their problems rationally, history clearly demonstrates that men with guns are more likely to exacerbate existing problems.

The indoctrination starts early:

Welcome To Machine Gun America, Where 13-Year-Olds Can Fire AK-47s

BY NICOLE FLATOW POSTED ON DECEMBER 19, 2014 AT 2:53 PM

Welcome to Machine Gun America, where you can experience the exhilarating rush of shooting real machine guns and powerful firearms. And be as young as 13.

The new amusement attraction opens this weekend in Orlando, Florida six miles away from Disney World.

Among the automatic and military-grade weapons available for firing on the premises are AK47s and M5s. Theyre built for wars and those kinds of things, Machine Gun Americas general manager Bruce Nierenberg told the Daily News.

The new facility has generated significant attention for its emphasis on the most violent weapons and for marketing its facility like a national amusement attraction. But letting kids shoot guns is not uncommon at gun ranges.

In fact, the sites opening comes just months after a 9-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed her instructor at a gun range in Arizona. And many gun ranges allow kids younger than 13 to fire real guns. They also allow those who could not even pass a background check to rent a gun.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/19/3605863/welcome-to-machine-gun-america-where-13-year-olds-can-fire-ak-47s/

10,000 Kids Are Injured Or Killed By Guns Each Year In The U.S.

by Tara Culp-Resslerbird_blue_16.png Posted on

January 27, 2014 at 9:00 am

Updated: January 27, 2014 at 4:47 pm

"10,000 Kids Are Injured Or Killed By Guns Each Year In The U.S."

Share:

facebook32.gif twitter32.gif
sandy-hook-638x458.jpg

Jimmy Greene and Nelba Marquez-Greene hold a portrait of their daughter, Sandy Hook School shooting victim Ana Marquez-Greene

CREDIT: AP Photo/Jessica Hill

Injuries from firearms send an estimated 7,000 kids to the ER every year, and an additional 3,000 children die from gunshot wounds before they can get to a hospital, according to a new study published in the journal Pediatrics. Doctors are pointing to the new data as further evidence of the serious public health toll that gun violence takes on America’s youth.

The new study drilled down some of the data from a 2009 survey of kids’ pediatric stays. That year, the majority of kids’ gunshot injuries — 4,559 — resulted from intentional assaults with a firearm. An additional 2,149 were accidents, and 270 were suicide attempts. About six percent of the children who made it to the ER ended up dying in the hospital from their injuries, which are typically open wounds, fractures, or brain or spinal injuries.

“This study reinforces what we know from the mortality data,” Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, told NBC News. “We have an extraordinary health burden in our youth associated with firearms injuries.”

Webster pointed out that the United States’ rate of mortality from firearms is about ten times higher than the rates in other wealthy nations. “This is a very unique and abnormal problem that such a wealthy nation should have such high mortality and morbidity in youth related to firearms,” he noted.

The number of kids being killed by guns in the U.S. has been steadily rising over the past several decades, and the issue has captured headlines as the number of school shootings has intensified. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) estimates that firearms are one of the top three causes of death among children, killing twice as many kids as cancer does. In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, which killed 20 young children, the AAP has stepped up its efforts to lobby for gun violence prevention.

“America’s pediatricians remain undeterred and united in our desire to see significant policy change to address this public health crisis,” the AAP wrote in a statement released on the one-year anniversary of Sandy Hook.

There are some concrete policy solutions that could help address this issue. Webster suggests raising the legal age to purchase a handgun to 21, since research has demonstrated that there’s a peak in gun violence among youth between the ages of 18 and 20. The AAP has also pushed for expanded background checks and safe storage to ensure that guns aren’t falling into the wrong hands. And more states could move to make adults criminally liable for allowing kids to have access to guns.

You still think the Sandy Hook "shooting" actually happened? Hahaha! The media doesn't lie. All handguns are Glocks and all "assault" rifles are AR-15's or AK-47's. Just ask O'Rreilly or Piers Morgan, right? Sandy Hook was a HOAX! No one died. My state made a new law that only allows transfers (buy, sell, give as gift) of handgun MAGAZINES (For you, Ghostsof1915. We're not gangsters and we're not talking about an M1 garand) that can hold more than 10 rounds. This was direct cause from said hoax. But get this... You can possess them! So it's perfectly legal to drive across the bridge to Virginia, buy a 17 round mag for my Glock 34 competition gun and bring it back to Maryland and own it. That goes for my 30 round AR mags too. But at least the politicians can pat themselves on the back for saying the did SOMEthing, even if it does absolutely nothing but merely inconvenience legal gun owners or maybe make it a bit more difficult to defend yourself. But at least they have the moral high ground, right? Liberalism. It really is a mental disorder.

You still think the Sandy Hook "shooting" actually happened? Hahaha! The media doesn't lie. All handguns are Glocks and all "assault" rifles are AR-15's or AK-47's. Just ask O'Rreilly or Piers Morgan, right? Sandy Hook was a HOAX! No one died. My state made a new law that only allows transfers (buy, sell, give as gift) of handgun MAGAZINES (For you, Ghostsof1915. We're not gangsters and we're not talking about an M1 garand) that can hold more than 10 rounds. This was direct cause from said hoax. But get this... You can possess them! So it's perfectly legal to drive across the bridge to Virginia, buy a 17 round mag for my Glock 34 competition gun and bring it back to Maryland and own it. That goes for my 30 round AR mags too. But at least the politicians can pat themselves on the back for saying the did SOMEthing, even if it does absolutely nothing but merely inconvenience legal gun owners or maybe make it a bit more difficult to defend yourself. But at least they have the moral high ground, right? Liberalism. It really is a mental disorder.

:lol:

But, but... the children!

3rnvk6.jpg

Archived