The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why you have no right to bear arms

Lockout Casualty

What went on at Sandy Hook and Aurora has no bearing on this particular conversation. But that said, I'd rather be shot than stabbed. Period. I was shot in a minor hunting accident once, obviously didn't die.... Say you didn't die from being shot....Any idea how much easier it is to treat a gunshot would as opposed to a knife wound? If someone wants to do another person harm, the possession or lack of possession of a firearm isn't going to be the difference maker. Anyway, that wasn't my point. What I should have said is based on availability and the criteria that needs to be met to acquire a firearm, a knife is by far more dangerous, IN THIS COUNTRY, which is what I thought the topic was anyway.

I supposed it all depends on the situation in question. A gun in the wrong hands is bad news, but Canada does a far better job of keeping them out of the wrong hands.

It depends on what you consider "this particular conversation". If you're talking about the thread in general and it's question of whether one has the right to bear arms, I'd agree. However, I wasn't addressing that point at all. I was addressing your claim that someone can do "as much (or more) damage with a steak knife as they can with a gun".

It's a ridiculous assertion and I called you on it. The incidents at Sandy Hook and Aurora are merely examples that I used to show how wrong your statement was.

What's irrelevant to the conversation is your preference of being shot as opposed to being stabbed. The fact remains that are firearm is capable of far more damage than is a knife.

What's your point? No cigarettes, no lung cancer. No unhealthy food, no diabetes. No cars, no one dying from car accidents. Can't just ban everything because of some idiots.

Well my point is. It's obvious that more discretion could have been used in this situation. Why does one feel so threatened as to bring a gun shopping within reach of a child. I don't understand the mindset.

I'm not against gun ownership however I'm glad the laws are different in Canada. But you have to wonder what society would be like with guns illegaliZed. At the very least, this child would have a mother still and live his life without the weight of this tragedy.

And really; cigarettes as a comparison? Arguably one of the stupidest consumables of all time. And diabetes/diet won't orphan a child in the blink of an eye....but to humour you, I see where you're going.

I stopped reading when he started whining about being afraid of guns. The only reason people fear things is becaus they don't understand them. Guns, gays, drugs, spiders, even a human with a diffirent skin colour, all these things are feared by people who don't know any better.

That's enough of this place for today, as if my head didn't hurt enough as it is...

Hilarious. I was in the infantry for 3 years. Fairly certain I have fired off more rounds than 99% per cent of the population. I'm not "afraid of guns", as you put it. I'm concerned with morons who have guns in their hands.

Understand the difference?

What's your point? No cigarettes, no lung cancer. No unhealthy food, no diabetes. No cars, no one dying from car accidents. Can't just ban everything because of some idiots.

No one is advocated the cease of market trading. That is the absurd parallel you're attempting to draw. Give it a rest.

No one is advocated the cease of market trading. That is the absurd parallel you're attempting to draw. Give it a rest.

My response was saying how if she didn't own a gun, she wouldn't die. However, there's a lot of products (not just guns, which is also a method of self defense) you can stop selling that would lead to less people dying from said product. That's the parallel.

My response was saying how if she didn't own a gun, she wouldn't die. However, there's a lot of products (not just guns, which is also a method of self defense) you can stop selling that would lead to less people dying from said product. That's the parallel.

And we do with lots of other products, so why shouldn't we with guns? At least seriously restrict? Again, I don't get what makes guns so special.

And we do with lots of other products, so why shouldn't we with guns? At least seriously restrict? Again, I don't get what makes guns so special.

In case you weren't aware in Canada guns are seriously restricted. Individuals that are at least 18 years old must pass safety course and then submit an application with references to be considered. Once the RCMP have done your background checks they also interview the references over the phone ect. It takes on average about 6 months for the whole process to be completed.

The government / rcmp have a huge list of guns that are prohibited and are illegal in Canada. As well as a huge list of guns that are considered restricted. Restricted guns are only available to people who pass an extra safety course and even more subjective background checks. If if your recently divorced or claimed bankruptcy or have history if mental illness you will be denied for sure, you can even be denied if someone has pressed charges against you and you are still proven innocent in court. These restricted guns are only allowed to be used in licensed ranges or clubs and you have to apply to your provinces cfo for a permit to transport them.

All guns in Canada are restricted to meet a minimum lengths, magazine sizes, and are not allowed certain accessories like silencers and certain types of ammunition.

The thing is that guns are actually one of the most restricted things in the country. People that have guns in Canada do so because they have earned that privilege, not because it's a right. It's also quite hard to get a gun legally, as the waiting period for someone who hasn't been licensed is quite a long time. It's much different in Canada than the US.

I find it funny, that no one questions getting a drivers licence, insurance, and registration and plates for a car. But try in the US to put the same things on firearms everyone goes nuts.

Registration of guns certainly did not help the victims of the Edmonton mass killings yesterday. It did not prevent the deaths, it only help the cops trace the gun.

From the CBC:

The gun used in the slaying was registered in British Columbia in 1997 and stolen from Surrey in 2006

I'm cleaning my AR15 (yes, that evil black rifle), my Glock 34 and my Mossberg shotgun from my 3-gun match and getting some much needed comic relief from this thread. The smell of CLP, steel and spent powder is invigorating.

You all can protect your house with an ADT so when the police arrive they can investigate the murders and call the coroner to clean up the mess. I'll protect myself and my loved ones with my 2nd Amendment held in that old, crusty Bill of Rights that us yanks have.

I ABSOLUTELY have a right to bear arms because I have an ABSOLUTE right to defend myself.

When will the gunaphobes realize that criminals don't respect laws even if you do?

I'm cleaning my AR15 (yes, that evil black rifle), my Glock 34 and my Mossberg shotgun from my 3-gun match and getting some much needed comic relief from this thread. The smell of CLP, steel and spent powder is invigorating.

You all can protect your house with an ADT so when the police arrive they can investigate the murders and call the coroner to clean up the mess. I'll protect myself and my loved ones with my 2nd Amendment held in that old, crusty Bill of Rights that us yanks have.

I ABSOLUTELY have a right to bear arms because I have an ABSOLUTE right to defend myself.

When will the gunaphobes realize that criminals don't respect laws even if you do?

159706-357x421-kitten.jpg

No-one is suggesting an outright ban on guns. What we are suggesting is some common sense restrictions. Cigarettes are subject to restrictions, as is driving.

Many of us feel that not allowing people to carry concealed, loaded weapons in public is one such common sense solution and it is an absolute fact that had this woman not done so, she would be alive today.

When will you realize that statistics show that a family member is more likely to die as a result of you exercising your 2nd amendment rights, than is a "criminal".

Archived