The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - TOR [Proposal]

Kaner

First off, Id like to say that Im not really a fan of trading kassian, but if JB thinks its best for the team, Im all for it.

To Toronto: Zack Kassian, Luca Sbisa, 2015 4th pick

To Vancouver: 2015 1st round pick, Conditional 2016 4th round pick ( if the Canucks don't come top 10 in standings this year ).

Why Vancouver does this trade? Vancouver pulls the trigger on this deal, because they gain a potential top 12 pick in this years deep draft. that one draft pick would tremendously speed up the amount of time it takes to do an "on the fly rebuild" as GM JB, as well as Trevor Linden have stated thats what they are looking to do. This trade could also possibly stir up a bidding war for teams looking to move up in this years draft. It also gives Vancouver leverage in a trade if they themselves are looking to move up. Having another pick would mean that they wouldn't necessarily be 'hurt' by any means if they perhaps did move up. Not to mention there has been recent trade speculation on Kassian's future as a player in the Blue and Green uniform.

Why Toronto does this trade? Toronto accepts this deal because they need a roster shakeup. Although lately they have been playing decent, they need some extra 'swagger' to ensure that they get a playoff spot, and bringing in a player with Kassian's caliber would do just that. He has all of the tools to become future top 6 PWF, but the one thing he may need is a chance in the Top 6. In Toronto, there are more players with less experience leading to the factor that it may be easier for Kassian to obtain a Top 6 spot on there roster than in Vancouver's. included in this deal, they also get a top 6 defense-man, who has some potential to become a top 4 if he continues to play with the right players. He is also able to help out if someone is injured as he has some NHL experience under his belt. They also get a 4th round pick which can be turned into some amazing talent.

The value might be a little off, but EDM gave David Perron straight up for PITT first rounder so I think it could work.

It is my first proposal, so I appreciate the suggestions, and input. :)

not sure how trading away a young top6 potential PWF who is about to hit their prime for a player who's never played an NHL game speeds up the rebuild....

it speeds up the rebuild, because instead of having 1 first round pick, we have two. And given the talent of this draft, we could very well just get a player who is better than Kassian.

A first rounder in this years draft is a decent trade for Kassian. Really deep draft, I could see leafs making this trade; however, how does this trade make us better? I wouldn't mind this trade if we are rebuilding, and this franchise finally admits it than its great because leafs will finish max 5th - lowest 10th place. If kassian turns into an another JVR, we will be weeping, but this is why I keep stressing that they should play Kassain with skilled players, and not grinders; furthermore, Leafs have many skilled players on their team.

The winner in this trade will be interesting because we don't even know what we have in Kassian yet.

A first rounder in this years draft is a decent trade for Kassian. Really deep draft, I could see leafs making this trade; however, how does this trade make us better? I wouldn't mind this trade if we are rebuilding, and this franchise finally admits it than its great because leafs will finish max 5th - lowest 10th place. If kassian turns into an another JVR, we will be weeping, but this is why I keep stressing that they should play Kassain with skilled players, and not grinders; furthermore, Leafs have many skilled players on their team.

The winner in this trade will be interesting because we don't even know what we have in Kassian yet.

This trade makes us better, because we strengthen our prospect pool, and it also provides competition of our younger players who are pushing for a roster spot next season. We also have the potential to draft our #1 centre, or a PMD in this draft with one pick alone, and having two increases our chances tremendously.

The difference between what you are suggesting and the Perron trade is that Perron has proven he can score 45-50 points consistently every year. Kassian however has potential, but he's only proven us that he can only maintain an NHL job nothing more, nothing less.

I love Kassian AS A player, he's a soul type player that will play until the end when he's not lazy. But I don't know TOR would want to take that risk as they are looking to be a top 15 pick this year. Deal is enough to pry the their 1st, however it's just a matter of, would they want to take that risk?

If we can pull this one off, Toronto will want Nonis's head.

Oh and Edit: We dont have a 2015 3rd.

The difference between what you are suggesting and the Perron trade is that Perron has proven he can score 45-50 points consistently every year. Kassian however has potential, but he's only proven us that he can only maintain an NHL job nothing more, nothing less.

I love Kassian AS A player, he's a soul type player that will play until the end when he's not lazy. But I don't know TOR would want to take that risk as they are looking to be a top 15 pick this year. Deal is enough to pry the their 1st, however it's just a matter of, would they want to take that risk?

um?? what happened to it lol

You think its thats lopsided?

Using the last 3 seasons, the value of a high 1st rounder has been:

2014 - the 10th was used in the Bobby Ryan trade.

2013 - the 9th for Schnieder. The 16th used in the Pominville trade.

2012 - the 8th used in the J. Staal trade. The 11th in the Varlamov trade.

So I think a 1st rounder in that range is going to cost significantly more.

This is actually a good post for folks to look at to try and gauge draft pick value.

it speeds up the rebuild, because instead of having 1 first round pick, we have two. And given the talent of this draft, we could very well just get a player who is better than Kassian.

When you trade a player who is exactly the type of player we want (young, big, cheap) for draft picks it slows down the rebuild. That pick might not be ready for 5 years.

And we could very well get a player who won't be any where near as good as Kassian.

Two lotto picks are better then one, but I'd rather have a thousand dollars in hand.

Zack is also scoring at a 3rd liner's pace (0.24 p.p.g), so no way he (with Luca Sbisa and a 4th) should be able to get a 1st, esp. in a deep draft like this. Perron is much better than Zack, so OP sorry but your comparison doesn't work.

You think its thats lopsided?

Look.

When making a proposal, you have to place yourself in their shoes(Toronto maple leafs). If I were a leaf fan, getting Sbisa is pretty much a downgrade seeing as that Sbisa has been terrible. Yes, he does provide toughness but again, nothing spectacular.

Phaneuf/Franson

Reilly/Polak

Gardiner/Robidas

That pretty much makes Sbisa redundant. So it's pretty much Kassian for the TOR 1st round pick. If you were a leaf fan, would you trade your 1st rounder for Kassian? You only do that if it makes your team better and if you are competing for a playoff spot.

For the Pittsburgh Penguins, getting Perron helps them strengthen their top 6 and improves their team drastically.For the Oilers, Penguins 1st rounder helps them rebuild their current rebuild.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel

Lupul/Kadri/Panik

Komarov/Santorelli/Clarkson

Booth/Smith/Brodie

If Toronto thinks Kassian will help improve their current roster, they wouldn't mind trading their 1st I assume. Otherwise, if they don't see him like that, they will definitely decline this trade.

Do you get my point?

Edit: Mind my english, Swedish fellow here :).

last i recall

and without capgeek there is no way of knowing precisely the current cap situation

that toronto is right up against the cap

and cannot take on an additional salary in a trade without trading salary back

i say this trade is simply not possible cuz it ignores cap considerations

Archived