The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Computer Help

blinky123

I used to use SyncBack but I think they stopped support for newer versions of Windows. Don't know if they've released an updated version. I've been happy with the WD SmartWare backup program that comes with the MyPassport external drive though.

Not sure on an imaging program like Ghost though.

I had no antivirus protection on my laptop for years but I rarely download anything and I am savvy enough to understand what I am downloading when I do.

I do run an occasional Malwarebytes scan (the old lady uses the laptop too and she is in the dangerous category of internet users) and if I have a problem that it won't clear up, I use HiJackThis to find the problem. But I don't suggest you even try to use this tool unless you know what you are doing as you may remove something important.

But I honestly think internet security is vastly overrated unless you are using the internet for questionable activities. I have been using a PC for over 25 years and was on the internet in the mid 90s and to date have only had 1 significant virus issue.

Ok, Take this advice... First of all, Don't listen to most of the people with their reply's ...get a mac etc..

If you did indeed by a Mac, all good..you really don't need anything else for 'protection'.

If you are using a PC Laptop, this is what I would recommend (Tried, Tested & True)

First, get a proper firewall, ZoneAlarm is one of the best ones out there, I been using it for yrs with out any issues! And it's free!

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

Second, Use a good web browser, Some thing like firefox (google Mozilla)

3rd, Don't bother with downloading and 'virus' software, the above 2 should take care of everything. (assuming you know a thing or 2 about not downloading shady crap).

...Reason I suggested to not install any anti-virus software is because it is a resource hog and slows down your computer! Unless you are paranoid than go for it.

Install CCleaner and run it every now and then to clean up garbage in your comp and internet cahce etc..

Install Smart Defrag 2....run that once a month or even every 2 months to make sure your HD is working smoothly...

And yes, all these programs are free...(google them) and happy surfing.

^^^ lol.....i forgot all about the days of de-fragging yer hard drive... i guess thats still a thing?

Lol yeah having my OS run on a SSD sure cut down on my defrag time. Now once every year or so I just defrag my storage discs and all is well.

Lol yeah having my OS run on a SSD sure cut down on my defrag time. Now once every year or so I just defrag my storage discs and all is well.

Lol this is a good example of why you shouldn't take computer advise from random people on the Internet.

FWIW there is zero point in defragging an SSD. In fact SSD drives purposely fragment data to cause even degradation, because they have a limited number of read write cycles before they degrade, it helps to extend the drive life. Also a SSD doesn't have spinning platters or moving heads so the time difference in reading defragmented data vs fragmented is 0. There are only 2 things defragging an SSD will do. One is shortening the life of the drive, though basically once a year will make almost no difference. Two it's a complete waste of your time.

A full clean is the purest way to keep your computer running fast, unless you want to tinker with the BIOS or the hardware.

it sure helped me when i used to run windows.

although... its not for everyone, you need to know what you are doing and this user doesnt sound like he/she should be messing with things if he doesnt have a sound knowledge of computers yet.

if yer gonna do a format, use Driver Genius first and back up all your apps and files.

since crossing over to mac, ive never used anti-virus software...just a great firewall and caution when installing apps and visiting certain websites..... never have to re-boot or have freeze's like i had with windows(but im sure it must be better by now).

to each their own tho, happy computing OP!

Re-formating your comp does nothing to protect your computer from viruses or any type of malware... it will improve performance but doesn't help with protection.... which is what this thread is about

Re-formating your comp does nothing to protect your computer from viruses or any type of malware... it will improve performance but doesn't help with protection.... which is what this thread is about

While looking for ideal protection software I think it is equally important to understand that Windows is the most vulnerable system to computer viruses. And so when the computer starts to slow down for various reasons, reformating is the ultimate cleanup tool. It's like sterilising your OS.

I just bought a new computer. What programs do I need to install for internet security? I am most concerned about viruses and malicious software being installed on my computer. Also, I am a bit leery of installing free software because you sometimes get a bunch of other programs you don't want. My operating system is Windows 7, and it comes with Microsoft Security Essentials. Is MSE sufficient protection? Any help would be appreciated.

Kaspersky internet security if paying and Avast if you aren't paying. Malwarebytes also to remove any malwares. These combo of malware and AV software should be enough. Additional scans could also be made via trendmicro housecall, other than that, if you don't like Antivirus softwares and viruses just buy a Mac. I have both Windows and Mac and I always use the Mac because its stress free and don't have to deal with any slow down or any malwares etc. etc.

Download and install AVG Free Download ... it should suffice if you are just doing regular internet browsing, downloading, etc. If you do really serious stuff you may want to pay for the year subscription which is vamped but I've been using AVG free for at least 5 years now and it works great.

Hey M A K. you seem pretty advanced with a lot of comp stuff, what's you take on the difference between Avast, and AVG?

Avast is much lighter than AVG and more efficient in detecting trojans and online malwares etc. I would use it over AVG but AVG is good too.

STAY FROM AVG and AVAST AT ALL COSTS it is almost impossible to remove once on your system and is worthless.

MSE is great and works flawlessly with win7. ALSO run something like malware bytes from time to time. Set up MSE to run a scan daily when you are not using the computer and you will be fine. Run full scans not quick ones and check your quarantine daily.

Run add block plus as well in you add ons for the browser you are using.

That is such a hassle, to run scans daily...might as well just devote all of the time on trying to see if your computer is clean. MSE is not that great anayways, I'd probably just buy a yearly subscription of Kaspersky or just get a Mac and remove the hassle of daily scans and daily stupid updates along with constant windows updates. Life is just so much easier with another OS.

While looking for ideal protection software I think it is equally important to understand that Windows is the most vulnerable system to computer viruses. And so when the computer starts to slow down for various reasons, reformating is the ultimate cleanup tool. It's like sterilising your OS.sss

So install linux ;)

reformating is what you do when you already have an STD... OP is asking for a condom

What about just running Microsoft Security Essentials? Would this be good enough?

I used avg for about a decade, can't stand it a anymore.

So intrusive, such a burden on my system.

I used Microsoft's built in protection, and haven't had a threat.

Google advice from computer savy people.

I did.

Don't use Avg

As a free alternative, MSE is more than sufficient. I use it myself. It's fairly low on resources, non-intrusive, and the protection is good enough.

If you're a guy who likes to click on everything, you might want to get a paid product.

Archived