The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Space!] Mars One Project to Colonize planet by 2025 - Six Canadians on Shortlist

TOMapleLaughs

I think they'll all be equally qualified by the time the voting stage comes along. At least one would hope. I also think they're technically colonists, not astronauts. Could be wrong. But yup they should know what da f they're doing.

A good point, I'm not sure to what extent these people would actually be involved in control of the spacecraft. I'm getting the sense that these are basically passengers and all the control of the spacecraft would be automated or done from Earth. However, I think there's value to having qualified astronauts on board, whether by themselves or in addition to these colonists, in case something goes wrong.

I'm sure these people aren't idiots, but they're average joes without any specialized aptitude or training. If you look back to the early days of space travel there have been numerous instances where things didn't go as planned, and tragedy was averted by quick thinking, intelligent, highly trained astronauts with balls of steel. It would seem much smarter for Mars One to have at least a couple men/women on board who are truly "the best of the best".

It would be easier, faster, and more economical to move housing, food, parts, etc. to the moon. Another equally good reason is the ice at the caps. It would be used as a source of water and fuel.

I'm nowhere near the first person to ever think that building a colony on the moon first would be the way to go. NASA has been talking about it for a very long time. Technology-wise, we could do a colony on the moon soon, but between budget constraints as well as for other reasons, it won't happen in most of our lifetimes.

lol I know nothing about astronomy, I didn't even know the Moon had ice.

lol I know nothing about astronomy, I didn't even know the Moon had ice.

600 million metric tonnes of water on just the North Pole itself.

Here's a quickie 1 page article that you should check out. NASA is sending two small spacecrafts to map the ice on the moon for future use in human colonization there.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17800/20141014/nasa-plans-two-new-missions-mine-ice-water-moon.htm

The demand for banjos and moonshine would skyrocket after several generations of that going on. ^_^

On a knowingly off-topic aside, I was teammates with a few small town (400-500) Sask boys and being classy as ever made a similar inbreeding joke.

In rebuttal they, very seriously, assured me that they have regular scheduled social events with nearby towns to avoid they very act.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or just... Nod.

On a knowingly off-topic aside, I was teammates with a few small town (400-500) Sask boys and being classy as ever made a similar inbreeding joke.

In rebuttal they, very seriously, assured me that they have regular scheduled social events with nearby towns to avoid they very act.

Good of them to think ahead. The planet doesn't need any more Bruins fans.

I'd watch that.

I just nod at all the sensationalized inbreeding claims here in the suburbs among people from the prairies, then I look around and realize every Pakistani I know is the product of a cousin/cousin marriage or is getting married to one.

globalcolorsmall.jpg

re: old age of some of the candidates

I think it'd make sense to send older (ie, more expendable) astronauts when the uncertainty of safety is highest in this program, which is early on. As safety is established and the journey becomes more predictable, I think they'll begin to send more youthful groups of astronauts.

I like the idea, but way too many flaws in this mission, and the whole reality tv thing is really off putting.

Colonizing the moon makes perfect sense, experience and gain skills living/sustaining on a ET environment but still close enough for easy access to Earth.

Apparently the Russians have plans to do this in the 2020s.

Well, colonizing the moon doesn't give us that much experience other than just general travel through space.

The moon has little gravity, more radiation, no atmosphere, drastically different day schedule (I think, I'm no expert). Besides, we'd have to carry extra fuel to slow down our approach to the moon, while Mars' atmosphere can do a lot of that.

So other than the problem of a greater distance, in many ways, Mars can be relatively easier than the Moon, no?

Well, colonizing the moon doesn't give us that much experience other than just general travel through space.

The moon has little gravity, more radiation, no atmosphere, drastically different day schedule (I think, I'm no expert). Besides, we'd have to carry extra fuel to slow down our approach to the moon, while Mars' atmosphere can do a lot of that.

So other than the problem of a greater distance, in many ways, Mars can be relatively easier than the Moon, no?

The moon is full of resources and the precious space-age metals & helium3 we need. It can provide a easier launch into deep space vs Earth. If we develop on it.

There was some article I saw about being able to even terraform it using ice comets.

It would be easier, faster, and more economical to move housing, food, parts, etc. to the moon. Another equally good reason is the ice at the caps. It would be used as a source of water and fuel.

I'm nowhere near the first person to ever think that building a colony on the moon first would be the way to go. NASA has been talking about it for a very long time. Technology-wise, we could do a colony on the moon soon, but between budget constraints as well as for other reasons, it won't happen in most of our lifetimes.

I remember hearing that the Moon would also be an excellent staging point for places like Mars.

I believe a human presence would help us assemble whatever space vessels we need on the Moon, so we can launch them without having to deal with Earth's escape velocity or atmosphere.

I would have laughed to a point where they would have either gotten up and left or punched me in the mouth. :lol:

Archived