The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phaneuf & Kessel for Daniel & Henrik [Discussion]

Some players develop class and character after enduring adversity

I reiterate Kessel will outscore the Sedins significantly over the next 3+ years... he was prominent against Chara and the Bruins in the Leafs only recent playoff appearance...the Sedins weren't prominent against the same Bruins in 2011

Add Phaneuf as a second pairing D man with less pressure on him and Doug Lidster to coach him...Oh boy

I sure as hell hope he'll out score them, he's in the prime of his career while they're in the twilight of theirs. I looked at it the other day and he had something like 11 points since New Years, and about a quarter of those were second assists that he couldn't avoid despite his best efforts. Kessel, while supremely talented, is also supremely selfish, unmotivated, immature, etc. obviously we don't know him personally but it's not unfair to draw those conclusions based on these last couple of months. Regardless of how bad his team is there's just no way he should be scoring at such a pathetic rate for a player of his skill level. Crosby scored 100 points as an 18 year old on a bad team. Yeah it's Crosby but he was also just 18, Phildo needs to give his dam head a shake.

One issue is, why should he when he's already got so much money and term guaranteed to him?

I would make this trade in a second...and I am a huge fan of Daniel and Henrik.

This team is never going to reach the goal of a Stanley Cup with the Sedins eating up 14 million of Cap space.

They are basically untradeable at this point...

Both Kessel and Phanuef would fetch a lot more on the trade market...possibly 1-2 1st rounders.

Flipping the Sedins for these 2 Leafs, and then moving them for picks/prospects would make the future unbelievably bright for this franchise.

I would make this trade in a second...and I am a huge fan of Daniel and Henrik.

This team is never going to reach the goal of a Stanley Cup with the Sedins eating up 14 million of Cap space.

They are basically untradeable at this point...

Both Kessel and Phanuef would fetch a lot more on the trade market...possibly 1-2 1st rounders.

Flipping the Sedins for these 2 Leafs, and then moving them for picks/prospects would make the future unbelievably bright for this franchise.

Both of them have seen their reputations and trade values take a beating this year. If that's your plan with them you're probably just as well off trading the twins directly.

I won't even entertain the thought of trading our franchise cornerstones for these clowns anyway.

Both of them have seen their reputations and trade values take a beating this year. If that's your plan with them you're probably just as well off trading the twins directly.

I won't even entertain the thought of trading our franchise cornerstones for these clowns anyway.

Kessel and Phaneuf wouldn't give back as much to the community as the Sedins have. They'd be hated for the rest of their tenure here

I sure as hell hope he'll out score them, he's in the prime of his career while they're in the twilight of theirs. I looked at it the other day and he had something like 11 points since New Years, and about a quarter of those were second assists that he couldn't avoid despite his best efforts. Kessel, while supremely talented, is also supremely selfish, unmotivated, immature, etc. obviously we don't know him personally but it's not unfair to draw those conclusions based on these last couple of months. Regardless of how bad his team is there's just no way he should be scoring at such a pathetic rate for a player of his skill level. Crosby scored 100 points as an 18 year old on a bad team. Yeah it's Crosby but he was also just 18, Phildo needs to give his dam head a shake.

One issue is, why should he when he's already got so much money and term guaranteed to him?

Yes they're in the prime of their careers!

Yes there is no way Kessel should be scoring at the pathetic rate he is.

and there is no way the Sedins should have scored at the pathetic rate they did last year under Torts

....yet this year with a new coach and team philosophy from the new mgmt team...the Sedins have regained some of their form...but not all of it

How would Phaneuf & Kessel perform with a new opportunity?

I think they would have career years

Buy Low

Yes they're in the prime of their careers!

Yes there is no way Kessel should be scoring at the pathetic rate he is.

and there is no way the Sedins should have scored at the pathetic rate they did last year under Torts

....yet this year with a new coach and team philosophy from the new mgmt team...the Sedins have regained some of their form...but not all of it

How would Phaneuf & Kessel perform with a new opportunity?

I think they would have career years

Buy Low

There's no way I'm willing to take that risk on a change of character tho. If it's the same old Kessel the move would never be forgotten in vancouver.

Phaneuf is 29

Kessel is 27

Henrik & Daniel are 34 and in decline

Are all you guys on crack???

You don't think Kessel & Phaneuf have something to prove

Make this trade and they will both have career years as Canucks

....and we could make Eddie Lack our new captain

Add a couple Leafs 1st round picks and you have a deal. If it's a straight up hockey trade, no way.

You've made some strong points regarding their age. But if they don't have "career years", then we're screwed. Kessel's and/ Phaneuf's prime could end sooner than expected.

The Sedins are more than just talented hockey players. The intangibles they bring to the table are much more valuable than what Kessel or Phaneuf bring. For example, the leadership and mentoring they do will impact how our up-and-coming prospects careers turn out.

I don't think these guys can produce the same amount of positive vibes the Sedins give. It's definitely a high-risk high-reward type of trade for both teams.

Add a couple Leafs 1st round picks and you have a deal. If it's a straight up hockey trade, no way.

You've made some strong points regarding their age. But if they don't have "career years", then we're screwed. Kessel's and/ Phaneuf's prime could end sooner than expected.

The Sedins are more than just talented hockey players. The intangibles they bring to the table are much more valuable than what Kessel or Phaneuf bring. For example, the leadership and mentoring they do will impact how our up-and-coming prospects careers turn out.

I don't think these guys can produce the same amount of positive vibes the Sedins give. It's definitely a high-risk high-reward type of trade for both teams.

Yes, it's definitely a high risk high reward (bold) move

Unloading the Sedin X 2 contract is only possible if you take a whole bunch of $$ in return players from your trade partner

Where are all those fans who say we can't win with the Sedins

They are great players but, like Naslund before them, maybe they aren't winners

Sedins play at a high level most of the time but can't seem to elevate to Conn Smythe levels like a Patrick Kane, Toews, or even T. Linden in '94

I think Kessel, surrounded with character players, can elevate

I think Phaneuf, if coached well and played in the right situations can be a Beast

I think teams know how to shut down the Sedins in playoff series situations

Chara knows

Doughty knows

Keith and Seabrook know

Kessel and Phaneuf will be very eager to show the league and the Leafs that they are not a Cancer = career years

I think teams know how to shut down the Sedins in playoff series situations

Chara knows

Doughty knows

Keith and Seabrook know

Yes. You just have to injure all their teammates. Even then, they came within one win of the Cup a few years back.

I don't want to see Kessel anywhere near a canucks uniform unless he's getting steamrolled by one...

or perhaps on the backcheck trying to catch Hansen on a breakaway?

Sorry, make that trying to catch anyone on a breakway.

Class and character for whine and cheese.

This.

Plus the fittest guys on the team, year in and year out (Santorelli being the exception) for someone too tired to take full skating drills and unable to get back to backcheck.

I'm with vancouvergrizzly not wanting Kessel on the Canucks. It's hard to imagine going from that good an example for the young players to such a bad example. Teaching the Canucks future core that a lack of fitness is ok, in fact worth $8 million a year for-well, almost forever, seems much worse to me than going with the twins, even as they age.

Archived