The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Markstrom Recalled

Strombone1

Seems like they are probably planning to start him on Thursday against Columbus. Don't see any other reason they'd send him down to play one game then bring him back up to sit for the next 3 weeks.

Because of the emergancy waivers. They were at the point where Markstrom would've had to have cleared waivers again to be sent down if he'd stayed longer. The Canucks would've lost him. Smart move by JB. Also, I think they wanted to give him his confidence back.

Consider the long game.

One of the goalies will be moved by the draft. It is unlikely that it will be Miller so it is either Lack or Markstrom. Lack is showing us right now that he is a keeper. So, Markstrom needs starts to prove to the world that he can play in the NHL or else his price will be miniscule.

I get that the Canucks are in a tough playoff race. The more time that goes by, the more difficult it may be to slot Markstrom in.

The flip side is that Lack's stock is on the rise. If they move Lack (or even Miller), then what assurances do we have that Markstrom can even be the back up next year if he doesn't get starts.

Or, do the Canucks just take it on the chin and accept a 5th to 7th round pick for Markstrom because his NHL stats are terrible.

12-28-5, 3.25 GAA, <900 S%

Markstrom was rushed by Florida before he was close to NHL ready. The Panthers destroyed his game and confidence. The nearly ruined his career completely. The Canucks are trying to get his career back on track, and so far are doing a good job. He's ripping up the AHL. He just needs confidence in the NHL now. I believe Markstrom can be elite one day, and Vancouver thinks so too.

Because of the emergancy waivers. They were at the point where Markstrom would've had to have cleared waivers again to be sent down if he'd stayed longer. The Canucks would've lost him. Smart move by JB. Also, I think they wanted to give him his confidence back.

No, they weren't. Even if it was a regular call up, the 30 days allowed on the roster are cumulative so that is a running total from all the times he's been called up this year. That means it wouldn't matter if they sent him down and called him back up again to try and break up his time on the roster.

But, the emergency waivers allow for Markstrom to stay up for as long as Miller is injured without needing to pass through waivers again. He's required to be sent down the minute Miller is off IR as a part of that condition, and if he plays in 10 games (again, cumulative) then he'd require waivers again.

OP, I know it's your thing and all, but the big yellow "developing" sign is a bit of overkill considering we knew when he was sent down that he was going to get called back up after the weekend.

EDIT: for correctness, it's developing not breaking.

Overkill indeed, inappropriate use of the visual spectrum! What an outrage! Bright colors should be only used for fruit, rainbows and causing seizures!

If I want to see yellow I'll look at a damn banana!

Archived