The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Federal Election Thread

thejazz97

PM Mock Election  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So with the more balanced voting, how would it affect provinces like SK, MB, and NFLD? Would our votes not count as much because of smaller populations?

Electoral reform is about changing how voting happens/votes are counted to get a more representative result. It has nothing to do with how many seats Provinces hold.

Electoral reform is about changing how voting happens/votes are counted to get a more representative result. It has nothing to do with how many seats Provinces hold.

Oh sorry. Thought it was a national thing.

When you said the green party got 8% of the vote but only one seat and I read that it would translate to about 12 seats under the new system, obviously someone else is going to lose seats.

If you'll notice in that article, the Liberals/NDP/Green stand to gain the most from electoral reform.

Of the two reform options though, the Liberals support the reform system that stands to gain them (and the NDP) the most.

The NDP on the other hand supports the system that is most representative to Canadians (even while arguably costing them seats largely to the Greens in the articles - albeit dated - example). Given recent poling, they might actually be in the Liberals shoes in that articles example.

Seems pretty clear to me who has Canadians best interests at heart....

If you'll notice in that article, the Liberals/NDP/Green stand to gain the most from electoral reform.

Of the two reform options though, the Liberals support the reform system that stands to gain them (and the NDP) the most.

The NDP on the other hand supports the system that is most representative to Canadians (even while arguably costing them seats largely to the Greens in the articles - albeit dated - example). Given recent poling, they might actually be in the Liberals shoes in that articles example.

Seems pretty clear to me who has Canadians best interests at heart....

It is statements and ideas like this that are slowly starting to endear me towards the NDP.

As you said, the Cons seem to worry more about losing status and power

The Liberals seem to worry more about what the Cons are doing and getting back in to power based on previous government ideas instead of new ideas

The NDP are the ONLY ones thus far eschewing those party ideas and admittedly doing stuff that could harm their own chances to form government or hold power should that happen; just to ensure that we've a solid democratic voting process that is representative of all the people. They also seem to come out more for people working and families as well as small businesses.

How on earth people continue to say that is wrong baffles me. In what world is a government governing for the PEOPLE instead of big business a bad thing?

And that is the state this country is in. people firmly believe that a good government will screw the people and pay mroe attention to the economy and the businesses and that is how it should be. Since bloody when? Corporations don't vote, they spend every waking minute finding new ways to avoid fees laws and taxes.

People need to start remembering a time when the government took care of THEM and maybe we will finally start to see some change

Because right now, Red or BLue Lib or Con I cannot find a difference between the two

2. Its funny, as a hobby I enjoy studying pharmacology and in particular recreational substances, and on some major drug forums, I posted a question years ago, about legalizing drugs, and nearly 50% of the respondants posted to me that if "the man" says its ok, it takes away alot of the rush of doing it. Alot of kids trying drugs are doing it out of pure rebellion. People will NOT start using something that they havent already used just because its legal. And those that do, will have a better knowledge of the risks and can guarantee their purity.

This. I spent a month in Holland amongst anarchists and punk rockers and met exactly TWO dope smokers and nobody who did anything stronger. They think it's lame probably because it ISN'T forbidden.

the majority didn't vote right last time. Harper's "majority" was less thsn 40% of the total votes.

Also while NDP and Conservative ideologies may differ wildly people are starting to see that Liberal and Conservative ideologies are in fact very very close. So much so that their platforms are almost indistinguishable

Same type just different jacket. Time for something new

You're right, but it won't matter because the left will split their vote between the Liberals/NDP and now the BQ.

The only way that is going to change is if a new party is elected and the electoral process is changed.

Could you elaborate on how the Liberal and Conservate platforms are so similar? From what I can gather, there are definite differences with regards to income tax rates, TFSA investments, child care benefits, legalization of controlled substances, along with Senate and electoral reform, government transparency and voting laws, none of which Mr. Harper is supporting.

Don't even bother mentioning C-51 as the Liberals have proposed amendments to the law if elected.

You're right, but it won't matter because the left will split their vote between the Liberals/NDP and now the BQ.

The only way that is going to change is if a new party is elected and the electoral process is changed.

Could you elaborate on how the Liberal and Conservate platforms are so similar? From what I can gather, there are definite differences with regards to income tax rates, TFSA investments, child care benefits, legalization of controlled substances, along with Senate and electoral reform, government transparency and voting laws, none of which Mr. Harper is supporting.

Don't even bother mentioning C-51 as the Liberals have proposed amendments to the law if elected.

You should just give it up. The Liberals are a horrible option this election. Trudeau is doing nothing except riding the family name. Anyone that's buthurt enough to just get rid of Harper should vote NDP. Otherwise you can bet on a Conservative minority again.

From the poll I posted last week:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05/22/federal-ndp-poll-mulcair-ekos-tories-liberals_n_7422800.html

Perhaps a vote for the Liberals is a vote for Harper ;)

When a majority government is formed with only ~1/3 of voters and the other 2/3 being arguably more centre/left, there's a problem. When the Greens get 8% of the vote but are lucky to get one seat, there's a problem.

The current system is not representative of voters actual intentions and wishes. It's a game of math and division, not representation.

It may benefit the NDP/Liberals as well but voter reform is quite clearly in the best interest of the majority of Canadians.

What I meant was that the proposed voter reforms don't go nearly far enough. While this may benefit Canadians there are still a lot of shortfalls in a system like this. If thing were really in the best interest of Canadians the system would be a lot more friendly to independents, and would move our politics further from the "party model".

Archived