The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

I just started to re-read the Harry Potter books. I am reading a chapter a night,  with a lit candle and my baby's special bear. It makes me feel better. Its also been quite a while since I read the first book so its 'almost' like reading a new book.

Edited by AppleJack
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

I just started to re-read the Harry Potter books. I am reading a chapter a night,  with a lit candle and my baby's special bear. It makes me feel better. Its also been quite a while since I read the first book so its 'almost' like reading a new book.

You are lucky to be a young Apple.  At my age all books I read seem new to me. :lol:

"Love thy self; for He is part of you."  

On 12/25/2015 at 2:19 PM, AppleJack said:

I really want to get the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated edition. Have you seen it yet? I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit. I just started re-reading the first one two nights ago.

4 hours ago, The Weasel said:

I really want to get the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated edition. Have you seen it yet? I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit. I just started re-reading the first one two nights ago.

Its so beautiful. I keep telling myself if it drops in price it will be okay to buy even though I don't need it because I own the entire series in hard cover and its in practically brand new condition. I have the editions that come with the Hogwarts school trunk so they are protected from dust, etc.

I am enjoying the first one a lot more then I remember. This is the third time I have picked it up (I have read other books in the series more times ). I guess what they say is true the third time is the charm. I think I am going to re-read the whole series.

Edited by AppleJack

Other than my business textbooks....

Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock. Whilst doing that I am looking up the peer reviewed sources he provides, their counter arguments, and then the rebuttals. I'd really like to hear what MadMonk thinks of the papers by Kennett et al. 

Its a very convincing argument and, in fact, I think the Younger Dryas, with these recent discoveries, deserves it's own thread. IMO, this is monumental...pun intended. Realistically, the last 5-10 years of scientific synthesis should change the way we look at everything. 

Edited by theminister

i started reading Please Kill Me yesterday, the "oral history of punk" which is essentially just 400 pages of interviews and quotes about a lot of proto-punk musicians/cultural figures from the 60s and 70s. the book is alright, very gossip-y. very little substance to the thing. i'm already 180 pages in, and i've only been reading it for a day. i'm a very slow reader, so that should hint at the complexity and depth of the book.

Slade House, which I guess is Mitchell's dessert to the main course of The Bone Clocks. Originally cut from the main novel, but too beloved to cast into the cracks, thus developed into its own mini-novel. Reads like vintage King back in the days of The Shining and Salem's Lot. Slightly more self sentient. Delicious.

2 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

I want to read The Expanse series by "James Corey", the TV Show seems promising but I don't like the cast so I figure the books must be better. Can't find the books at the store and don't wanna pay for exchange rate and shipping from Amazon.

I can offer a suggestion that can save you up to 15-25%, but I already know that you are not going to be interested in pursing it because it involves using...bitcoin.

Edited by CanadianLoonie