The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is retail a dying industry?

kurtzfan

I really disagree.

We are switching to a system that will allow the consumer to buy directly from the producer. Retailers in most cases add little, but their existence results in products being increased in price substantially.

Yes people shouldn't be using retail stores to handle products. With the exeption of clothes, most products don't need to be handled though. The need to see a product in person is really a reflex based on old retail habits. Online reviews and YouTube videos provide much better info.

Just Wow, (shaking my head) it's no wonder we are in this economic mess with views like this.

Enjoy purchasing your new vehicle online by looking at it on you tube, Yes it's all true on the internet.

Just keep enjoying your beautiful little city while spending your money in Korea and China. We will see how long that lasts.

Just Wow, (shaking my head) it's no wonder we are in this economic mess with views like this.

Enjoy purchasing your new vehicle online by looking at it on you tube, Yes it's all true on the internet.

Just keep enjoying your beautiful little city while spending your money in Korea and China. We will see how long that lasts.

Funny thing is, even auto buyers usually have their options nailed down to a few brands and models at the most from their own research, online or otherwise. Sales people at dealerships should be renamed to negotiators / customer service agents. They offer deals and terms to push for the sale, but add little to the buyers' understanding of their products.

It seems more difficult for teenagers to get a job. Staples, Target, Sears, Sony, Future Shop, Mexx, .

All these companies closed its locations these few years.

Is retail a dying industry, especially in Canada?

Not dying...just evolving. Another step towards a fully integrated world of e-commerce.

Sorry, it's your backwards attitude that is hurting our economy. I use the internet to source directly from producers, and I source locally when I can. For example, I bought my last wallet, from a leather manufacturer in Victoria. This is not an option I would have had 10 years ago.

Instead, I would have been stuck with buying from retailers who are sourcing from Korean and Chinese slaves and then marking their product up 1000% as it passes through a chain of middle men before landing in the lap of a retailer.

I do the same with my food purchases when I can. I get in contact directly with farms/fishermen and buy from them. I'd much rather see the money go straight to them than have it go to a retailer. I pay less for a higher quality product and the producer gets a better cut. It's sad that retailers are losing their livelyhood, but they were never a necessary part of the process in the first place. They are a by-product of the big market capitalist system.

As for the truth of the internet...I have much more faith in a series of web-reviews by actual users, than I do in any kind of retail salesmen out to hit a sales quota or move unwanted stock.

Also...car salesmen...you could not have found a worse example. That is the most useless and parasitic industry. The last time I bought a car, I did all of my research online. I then had to avoid the greasy upselling car salesmen as much as possible. I wanted to purchase a Honda but ended up purchasing a Toyota. The reason being, that Toyota allowed me to purchase a car with as little interaction with the sales people as possible. Yes, you're right, I'm going to need to test drive a car first, but that test drive should not be an opportunity for a car salesman to attempt to sell me a car at ABOVE MSRP. I really don't know what these people are thinking...I can go on the internet and see the MSRP. That is the starting point for negotiations. If you attempt to sell at above that, I walk out the door /rant.

i agree that Brave New World was a pretty good book, but again, for decades now everyone has predicted the technology of their day has finally surpassed their (cynical interpretation of) society

laziness and/or convenience will not kill the retail world. been to new york, hong kong, london, paris, toronto, etc. lately? these are social hubs just as much as they are commercial ones. JC Penny in Small Town, Kentucky doesn't define the retail landscape.

The retail landscape is diverse. You can't just look at high density commercial hubs. The suburban shopper has shifted from going to malls and large retail stores to online shipping. Two things that I buy are now done online which has completely changed from ten years ago: computer parts and movies. As a fellow PC gamer, do you recall the last physical copy you owned? Media retail is going kaput because everything is done electronically now. No more DVDs. No more newspapers and magazines. Books will last, but whether Chapters survives is another matter.

I don't see clothing retail dying as quickly as electronics. Most people I know are more likely to do that in person rather than online. You still get better deals in store on clothes for the most part.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Shopping for clothes online is already making its way into the western world. Places like Korea and China are at the front of online clothing. More and more white people are buying from these stores because they offer high end looking fashion for considerably cheaper prices, even if the shipping is quite hefty. Customer reviews are key, and there is enough reliable feedback regarding size and quality.

Some of my friends have already made the complete transition, and I have also bought overseas stuff and had it shipped. You cannot get a slim-fitted suit here for the prices they offer in Asia. Also, hipster shirts.

Sorry, it's your backwards attitude that is hurting our economy. I use the internet to source directly from producers, and I source locally when I can. For example, I bought my last wallet, from a leather manufacturer in Victoria. This is not an option I would have had 10 years ago.

Instead, I would have been stuck with buying from retailers who are sourcing from Korean and Chinese slaves and then marking their product up 1000% as it passes through a chain of middle men before landing in the lap of a retailer.

I do the same with my food purchases when I can. I get in contact directly with farms/fishermen and buy from them. I'd much rather see the money go straight to them than have it go to a retailer. I pay less for a higher quality product and the producer gets a better cut. It's sad that retailers are losing their livelyhood, but they were never a necessary part of the process in the first place. They are a by-product of the big market capitalist system.

As for the truth of the internet...I have much more faith in a series of web-reviews by actual users, than I do in any kind of retail salesmen out to hit a sales quota or move unwanted stock.

Also...car salesmen...you could not have found a worse example. That is the most useless and parasitic industry. The last time I bought a car, I did all of my research online. I then had to avoid the greasy upselling car salesmen as much as possible. I wanted to purchase a Honda but ended up purchasing a Toyota. The reason being, that Toyota allowed me to purchase a car with as little interaction with the sales people as possible. Yes, you're right, I'm going to need to test drive a car first, but that test drive should not be an opportunity for a car salesman to attempt to sell me a car at ABOVE MSRP. I really don't know what these people are thinking...I can go on the internet and see the MSRP. That is the starting point for negotiations. If you attempt to sell at above that, I walk out the door /rant.

Pure Pwnage.

Human beings have to fight the urge to be lazy. So when Amazon drone delivery (Or other services) become an everyday thing for almost any purchase. It's gonna be hard for people to get off the coach and pick something up when it could be delivered within 24 hours. I'm not suggesting this will be an overnight shift. Just that a few decades from now the shift will be much more dramatic than you probably foresee.

Wait until 3D printing reaches the masses. You won't even need drone delivery. Simply pay for the file, download it and (depending on size), shortly thereafter you simply make your own doodad right at home.

Could you elaborate? I think I know what you are trying to say but I don't see the relevance between the two..

Principle of creative destruction. Pianos were the primary form of in-house entertainment before, but then radio and phonograph changed things dramatically. Bad news for those in the piano industry, but good news for almost everyone else.

The example of the 'death of the piano industry' was used in a Freakonomics Radio podcast about this very topic. LINK: http://freakonomics.com/2015/01/29/how-safe-is-your-job-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

One guy interviewed saying that it may be different now with Amazon, which he feels has the capability of destroying far more jobs than can be created. But then again, are there worse jobs than retail? Maybe the time and money saved by eliminating the middle-man here will open up new possibilities and opportunities in more enjoyable fields?

That's an interesting model, something I'm seeing more of. It's like a subscription, right?

Can be (I use that feature). Or you can just order at your own discretion. They run everything in house though from design to your door. Vertically integrated small, "local" (Canadian) business able to compete and thrive internationally by leveraging the internet/technology, global manufacturing etc.

Love their clothes too.

The optional subscription model is simply a means to regularly update your wardrobe. Something a LOT of men struggle with. It's neat and handy but IMO the least innovative or neat thing about their product(s).

I don't want to buy anything online. I'll cave eventually, already do a bit, but I want to resist as long as possible. There is something to be said about human interaction. Plus I'm never home to receive my purchases as they get delivered during the day when I am at work (like most people). I always have to pick it up at the postal outlet or courier warehouse.

If Elvis the human information gate will please accept a story from a year ago...

Huh? :huh:

Are you trying to reference the thread you created to post an article from a year ago? The one that I wasn't even the one to first note that the article you'd posted was over a year old? Ok then...

Reminds me of the other thread you created that was poorly done then you proceeded to continually post in other threads just so people knew how butthurt you were by it.

But I don't think physical retail stores in general are dead. Some will downsize and relegate the physical store to more of niche markets as has already been described, but others will remain much the same as also described.

The disappearing middle class and increasing debt culture your article describes is true enough, but I saw a comment on the weekend about how the rich are trending away from owning, aprticularly for items that depreciate:

Rich rent everything; houses, yachts, jets, Art, flats. The poor are stuck owning stuff that constantly depreciates.

CBRKtENWcAA-gnH.png

Huh? :huh:

Are you trying to reference the thread you created to post an article from a year ago? The one that I wasn't even the one to first note that the article you'd posted was over a year old? Ok then...

Reminds me of the other thread you created that was poorly done then you proceeded to continually post in other threads just so people knew how butthurt you were by it.

But I don't think physical retail stores in general are dead. Some will downsize and relegate the physical store to more of niche markets as has already been described, but others will remain much the same as also described.

The disappearing middle class and increasing debt culture your article describes is true enough, but I saw a comment on the weekend about how the rich are trending away from owning, aprticularly for items that depreciate:

No I was hunting for an unneeded response in order to excercize your fingers. You're welcome. ;)

No I was hunting for an unneeded response in order to excercize your fingers. You're welcome. ;)

You might need a hand with that yourself, copy/pasting articles from a year ago all the time! But cool, glad to see you had a comment on my reply to your article and the overall theme of the thread.

I don't want to buy anything online. I'll cave eventually, already do a bit, but I want to resist as long as possible. There is something to be said about human interaction. Plus I'm never home to receive my purchases as they get delivered during the day when I am at work (like most people). I always have to pick it up at the postal outlet or courier warehouse.

Get stuff delivered to your work...

Archived