The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single most important indicator of success in the playoffs

jag

TLDR.

First 5 minutes of the series, first minute of the period and last minute of play in each period.

From the first 5 minutes we set the tone, like we did in '94 enroute to a 5-0 win in calgary. I remember Babych was on CBC saying this team is different, watch out for us this playoffs right before the game.

We need that spark. Bieksa/Hamhius play too complacent trying to "feel" the other team when they need to amp up instead. If that happens we can beat anyone. If we are down we can always come back but statistically we will be OK if we follow the plan I set up in the first sentence.

First 5 minutes vs Chicago in 2011 was also similar.. set the tone for the playoffs.

After watching first 5 minutes I can pretty much see whos going to win... we need to use homeice advantage. Linden was smart to reduce prices for 1) because of demand and 2) to try to get more blue collar ppl instead of pencil pushers and who can make some noise.

Lack, Lack, Lack. Seriously a couple of big saves early on, the crowd chanting his name, that is one key for me. The other will be to see how much stamina the Sedins have. They looked good toward the end of the year.

Lack is key but winning the first 5 minutes will mean pressure will be on other goalie not ours.

"If Canucks want to make a run, watch for Dorsett to play lights out with shorthanded goals and timely plays. Watch for Sbisa to be an OT hero somewhere along the way.

IF we make a run that is."

Just cross posting... excited for Wed.

I'm going to say toughness and perseverance. Seems like there are always a few surprise players on the cup winning team. Players that have enough grit and endurance to push their performance all the way to the end. You might not notice them during the regular season but a few seem to excel in the playoffs. I'm hoping Kassian will be one of our big playoff performers.

A stable goaltender who can work under 10000x the pressure. I hope Lack and Miller realize that they will be under the limelight in Vancouver come playoff time. Every mistake they make will be criticized by us "know-it-all" fans.

A solid defensive lineup that can backup the goaltending. Hopefully we can look to the Kings' outstanding D last year in the playoffs for inspiration.

Most importantly..

SCORE SCORE SCORE

Lack is key but winning the first 5 minutes will mean pressure will be on other goalie not ours.

I get your point, however not sure I agree. Goalie pressure is good early on if it is successful and can be sustained throughout the game. Sometimes teams start hot only to get deflated. The Rocky movie formula ;)

I tend to be a defence first kind of guy, and some solid saves may take the energy out of some fowards.

Score more goals than your opponent in a single playoff game, and repeat this fifteen times. :P

Scoring depth? Pretty good (12 players finished with 10+ goals in the regular season, 6 with around 0.5 p.p.g.)
Defense? Strong top (Edler, Tanev) plus some support (Weber, Hammer; uncertain about the 3rd pairing)
Workhorse goalie?
Maybe (we'll see how Lack handles pressure, he's won some 30+ shot games; not sold on Miller T.B.H.)

Real way to succeed should be to get hot at the right time, whether with clutch scoring or strong goal-tending. No set formula.

Oh, I see says the blind man.

The question should be:

What is the single most important indicator that a team will have success in the playoffs?

I don't believe there is s "single" indicator.

There are many factors leading to success - one alone does not guarantee success.

That's why it's so hard to win a championship.

Hits are a big key when it comes to winning. Just look at the Kings. They'd always wear the Canucks out just from hitting them until the last few weeks where they didn't and the Canucks ended up winning the last couple matches. Our 2011 team had quite a bit of players that weren't afraid to throw their weight around. in 2012 and 2013, we had almost none of that and had just one win in both playoff runs. This year we've added Dorsett and Kenins and I'd say those two alone have made a big difference because they aren't afraid to dish out some heavy hits.

I get your point, however not sure I agree. Goalie pressure is good early on if it is successful and can be sustained throughout the game. Sometimes teams start hot only to get deflated. The Rocky movie formula ;)

I tend to be a defence first kind of guy, and some solid saves may take the energy out of some fowards.

Not from what I've seen in all the playoffs i've watched... first 5 minutes sets the tone for the series.. most of the time they prevail

Hits are a big key when it comes to winning. Just look at the Kings. They'd always wear the Canucks out just from hitting them until the last few weeks where they didn't and the Canucks ended up winning the last couple matches. Our 2011 team had quite a bit of players that weren't afraid to throw their weight around. in 2012 and 2013, we had almost none of that and had just one win in both playoff runs. This year we've added Dorsett and Kenins and I'd say those two alone have made a big difference because they aren't afraid to dish out some heavy hits.

+5... this is a way to win the first 5 minutes

Archived