The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single most important indicator of success in the playoffs

jag

How do you quantify whether we've won the first 5 minutes? On the scoreboard or something else like hit counts or energy level?

The pattern for this team has been about gradual increase in intensity over the course of the game. For example, think back to when we played the Jets this season. Jets came out trying to hit to intimidate us and to set the tone. We usually get through the first ten minutes of the game either 0-0 or down by a goal or maybe even two goals. Then starting around the 10 minute mark of the first period, I noticed that our intensity level is higher than theirs and we start to dictate the pace. Jets, having used up a lot of their energy in the first 10 minutes, are unable to maintain the same level of pressure whereas we keep amping up the intensity level or at least maintain it at consistently high level.

We went 2-1-0 against them and although we lost the last one 5-4, it was more or less the similar pattern and had Higgins scored and not hit the post, we would've taken it to OT at least.

I think we usually start out with intensity level at around 60/100 and Jets at 100/100. As the time goes on, we are able to increase our intensity level (mainly due to playing 4 line game) to 65, 70, 75, 80. And around the 10 minute mark, the Jets go from 100, then drops to 70. And whereas we are able to sustain 80~85 level of intensity throughout the game, the Jets go from 70, down to 50, then when they feel desperate, it goes up to 90, then down to 40, and so on.

Now, Calgary on the other hand is much like us. They maintain consistent level of effort and intensity throughout the game. That's why we saw so many third period come backs from Calgary this season.

If we go hard out for the first 5 minutes like the Jets did against us, then we are not going to be able to match Calgary's intensity level by the time third period rolls around and in all likelihood, we will lose the game and probably the series.

I think the single most important "key" to success for us would be to just keep doing what we've been doing all season. Play the 4 line game to wear out the opponents throughout the game. I think we have enough skill and defensive abilities as well as goaltending to match Calgary's intensity and to grind out a series against Calgary.

We can't afford any more slow starts. We need to dictate the play and set the pace. We can't sit back and let Calgary decide how this series is going to be played. We've done that way to much in these past few months. I almost forget what it feels like to score the first goal in a game..

Lack is key but winning the first 5 minutes will mean pressure will be on other goalie not ours.

You can have a bad first 5 minutes and still win. Can judge a game by the first 5 minutes, especially this canuck team.

How do you quantify whether we've won the first 5 minutes? On the scoreboard or something else like hit counts or energy level?

The pattern for this team has been about gradual increase in intensity over the course of the game. For example, think back to when we played the Jets this season. Jets came out trying to hit to intimidate us and to set the tone. We usually get through the first ten minutes of the game either 0-0 or down by a goal or maybe even two goals. Then starting around the 10 minute mark of the first period, I noticed that our intensity level is higher than theirs and we start to dictate the pace. Jets, having used up a lot of their energy in the first 10 minutes, are unable to maintain the same level of pressure whereas we keep amping up the intensity level or at least maintain it at consistently high level.

We went 2-1-0 against them and although we lost the last one 5-4, it was more or less the similar pattern and had Higgins scored and not hit the post, we would've taken it to OT at least.

I think we usually start out with intensity level at around 60/100 and Jets at 100/100. As the time goes on, we are able to increase our intensity level (mainly due to playing 4 line game) to 65, 70, 75, 80. And around the 10 minute mark, the Jets go from 100, then drops to 70. And whereas we are able to sustain 80~85 level of intensity throughout the game, the Jets go from 70, down to 50, then when they feel desperate, it goes up to 90, then down to 40, and so on.

Now, Calgary on the other hand is much like us. They maintain consistent level of effort and intensity throughout the game. That's why we saw so many third period come backs from Calgary this season.

If we go hard out for the first 5 minutes like the Jets did against us, then we are not going to be able to match Calgary's intensity level by the time third period rolls around and in all likelihood, we will lose the game and probably the series.

I think the single most important "key" to success for us would be to just keep doing what we've been doing all season. Play the 4 line game to wear out the opponents throughout the game. I think we have enough skill and defensive abilities as well as goaltending to match Calgary's intensity and to grind out a series against Calgary.

Hits, take aways and chances. Usually they precede each other. I get what you are saying but thats why you have offseason training and meal/sleep preperations. They need to play the full 60 100% in playoffs... if they do they can beat anyone.. they have the talent.. if they dont well hope for the comeback.

The key to beating Calgary at least is a control game. Sedins cycling confidently with Vrbata on the power play will be everything. Edler and Tanev need to come up big on D and control the Flames young guns.

Actually, the more I think about it, Tanev. Freshly signed, proving himself to be one of the most consistent young defensemen in the Western conference. This could be his coming out party. May I remind you all that there's no Drew Doughty in these playoffs.

Lack of course. We don't need anything better than what he's given us this season. We can win with that kind of goaltending on a nightly basis.

Kassian could indeed be a dark horse. We need him to play mean. Especially since Horvat has proven he can play offence with the big boys, it means Kass can be more of an agitator and still chip in offensively. Dorsett the same.
Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Bonino, Matthias and co. simply need to get goals on a semi-regular basis. They all need to play their asses off, and I think they will.

We need a no-risk game from Bieksa and Hamhuis. They must play defence first each and every outing.

Simple really ;)

Hits, take aways and chances. Usually they precede each other.

This couldn't be more wrong.

We outshot them 37-23, we outhit them 47-26, we had more takeaways 12-8, we had more scoring chances 15-6 and yet we still lost game 7 against boston in 2011.

Like Gillis always said

"There is no ONE factor that determines the success of a team during the playoffs, but moreover, a combination of factors"

This couldn't be more wrong.

We outshot them 37-23, we outhit them 47-26, we had more takeaways 12-8, we had more scoring chances 15-6 and yet we still lost game 7 against boston in 2011.

Like Gillis always said

"There is no ONE factor that determines the success of a team during the playoffs, but moreover, a combination of factors"

You have to think statistically. We were the best team that year and should have won the cup... 9 times out of 10 we would have won that game just happened to lose that day.

It is obvious that there are multiple factors in any equation thats as complex as two teams in a high tempo game.. but I said the most important one that if done right can give you the "edge" which may be enough to catapult a team's confidence and get the ball rolling... most of the time setting the tone will lead to a good game and having a good game usually gives a better chance to win. There are other ways to have a good game, but setting the tone usually is the most important, first minutes(for this game/period), last minutes (for next game/period).

Lack needs to be average, defence decent and Sedins' need to beat them. This is it for the Sedins', they are getting older and this is their chance to prove they still got it. If we are going to win this series, it will have to be the Sedins' taking over this series; otherwise, Flames' beat us in 6.

Will prob take 4-5 goals each for them to take over.

After watching first 5 minutes I can pretty much see whos going to win... we need to use homeice advantage. Linden was smart to reduce prices for 1) because of demand and 2) to try to get more blue collar ppl instead of pencil pushers and who can make some noise.

even after the Canucks have routinely gone down a goal early throughout this season and managed to come back? you saw it?

I'm not going to read the first posts and take a guess: Scoring more goals than the other team.

Did I get the right answer? Do I win a prize?

Sometimes breaking problems down into logical subsets helps puts things in perspective and psychologically helps in solving the problem easier than if you would have tried to "hack" or do take it all in one go.

even after the Canucks have routinely gone down a goal early throughout this season and managed to come back? you saw it?

Yes but odds are in playoffs in a 7 game series it wont work out if trend continues in that regard. That's the whole "this time it's different" ideology and I think you know how often that leads to success in the long term.

Lack needs to be average, defence decent and Sedins' need to beat them. This is it for the Sedins', they are getting older and this is their chance to prove they still got it. If we are going to win this series, it will have to be the Sedins' taking over this series; otherwise, Flames' beat us in 6.

sedins clearly still have "it", to say it's their last chance is ridiculous. This is a team game, the problem we usually have is putting it all on them. It's not fair, we need everyone.

sedins clearly still have "it", to say it's their last chance is ridiculous. This is a team game, the problem we usually have is putting it all on them. It's not fair, we need everyone.

Yeah, no kidding. First of all, the Sedins are like twin Jagrs - they're in incredible shape and will probably be highly competitive even into their 40s. They're also Canucks lifers. Obviously there has to be a changing of the guard (in terms of top-line talent AND leadership) somewhere before then. Hopefully we already have it in the works with Bo, Virtanen, McCann, Baer, Shink, Subban, Demko, etc. because if those players can take over the reigns while the Sedins are still playing quality 2nd line hockey, the window may be very far from closed.

But yes, these playoffs cannot rest solely on the twins. Fortunately our depth is very strong right now, so I really don't see it being an issue. Horvat will be buzzing, Matthias is new to playoff action ands should be hungry, Bonino can view this an entirely new season as well etc. etc. everybody will be playing hard and doing their best to contribute. I think the Flames only have a shot if their young offence starts rolling, so we'll probably depend more on Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, and Bieksa than even the Sedins.

Should be the Key to success, not the indicator.

Right. And having watched far too many "keys to the game" intros, I can come up with a generic list.

1. Your best players need to be your best players.

2. Special teams

3. Goaltending

4. Play hard-nosed hockey but be disciplined.

5. We no longer hear about "giving 110%". Now it is just "be a hardworking team" or having a good work ethic.

But personally I could not care less about who on the team plays best, whether it is special teams or 5 on 5 that is the key, whether it is the goalie, the forwards, or the D who really play well, whether we play a physical game or a soft game or a speed game or whatever.

I don't care how we do it. I just want to the win the Cup.

Archived