The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Joseph LaBate

Ossi Vaananen

jordan bulked up to 190 this past offseason and wasn't comfortable playing at that weight so he shed some of it. he won't be getting any bigger.

At his hight , he is a brick house. People give waaaaay to much thought to hight. Yes it's an advantage , and reach matters with d men , but If he was say 160 it would be an bigger issue. That's a big kid to be that heavy at that hight. And 190 is still a very athletic weight. It's to be seen of coarse how he does , and I do wish he was a bit taller , but no doubt he gets a shot. His scoring ability( hockey IQ) and his shot are Way above average.

At his hight , he is a brick house. People give waaaaay to much thought to hight. Yes it's an advantage , and reach matters with d men , but If he was say 160 it would be an bigger issue. That's a big kid to be that heavy at that hight. And 190 is still a very athletic weight at that hight. It's to be seen of coarse how he does , and I do wish he was a bit taller , but no doubt he gets a shot. His scoring ability( hockey IQ) and his shot are above average.

190 at 5'9 is not athletic weight, that is bulk muscle. If it was all athletic weight he would be around 170-180ish.

Being a Kines student, there is a diferents between "athletic weight" and "bulk muscle" just thought i'd point that out

190 at 5'9 is not athletic weight, that is bulk muscle. If it was all athletic weight he would be around 170-180ish.

Being a Kines student, there is a diferents between "athletic weight" and "bulk muscle" just thought i'd point that out

Hmmmm. Yeah I suppose that sounds correct. Good post.I stand corrected

Funny, we just got eliminated from the playoffs by a team who has a 5'10 180 lbs dman.

St. Louis never thought Russell would make the NHL so Calgary got a top 4 dman for spare parts. All Jordan needs to do is grow an inch and gain 10 pounds of muscle and I don't see that being hard once he starts working with elite trainers. 5'10 190lbs automatically means bust? Wasn't PK around that size when he was drafted? And fell a bit because of it too

If you are talking about Kriss Russel and you think he was a major reason the flames beat the Canucks you really need to re-examine this.

When did he say this? This was how long ago, Subban should of been signed by now. It is concerning that's all.

He's been saying this for months before playoffs started. But the thing people don't realize, or at least overlook, is that signings are a two way street. Benning CANNOT sign whoever he wants, whenever he wants, on whatever terms he wants. Subban although a great talent played his entire career on a lackluster team. In fact, the sole reason why he even had a dip in numbers in this third and fourth year, was because he had to pretty much one man the ship as a defenceman.

If he was to sign, say a year ago, or even 6 months ago, he might not be able to demand the best contract he can get. (money etc.) Instead, they waited for him to finish his CHL career, (it's not like the signing would matter until he finished anyway) and this way his agent has much more leverage in negotiations. Just because the Canucks want him signed now, doesn't mean Subban or his agent agree. Besides, the Subban signing is one of Bennings smallest concerns right now. He's a restricted free agent for another season, and knows now Subban needs a deal before Utica's season starts.

Basically the summer is the time when both sides can agree to terms. Subban and his agent get max value, and Benning gets his player signed but the start of the utica season. All i'm saying is don't worry, Subban will be signed (or traded for something at least)

Wonder if it's a good idea to mention that Johnny Gaudreau was taken 3 picks after LaBate. Not that I have problems with it. Gaudreau was listed at 5'6" in his draft year and the Canucks had just lost to the Bruins in the Cup Final, something many people blamed on a perceived lack of size and/or toughness.

Anyway, gonna keep expectations reasonable for LaBate. If he can solidly contribute as a bottom 6 forward somewhere down the line, he'll be worth signing.

Wonder if it's a good idea to mention that Johnny Gaudreau was taken 3 picks after LaBate. Not that I have problems with it. Gaudreau was listed at 5'6" in his draft year and the Canucks had just lost to the Bruins in the Cup Final, something many people blamed on a perceived lack of size and/or toughness.

Anyway, gonna keep expectations reasonable for LaBate. If he can solidly contribute as a bottom 6 forward somewhere down the line, he'll be worth signing.

I could definitely see LaBate becoming a Sean Matthias if all goes well.

If you are talking about Kriss Russel and you think he was a major reason the flames beat the Canucks you really need to re-examine this.

I don't think he was a major reason, but he didn't hurt his team.

I don't think he was a major reason, but he didn't hurt his team.

Although didn't hurt is team is not a bad thing...... "Didn't hurt his team" is not what the Canucks need right now. What they need is someone to take this team to the next level.

Archived