The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV, Hartley, Predators Coach Jack Adams Finalists

Obviously we're talking about the regular season here and what makes Hartley better. Both had teams that didn't make the playoffs, both had teams finish the season above expectations. I don't see much justification for picking one over the other here..

He did more during the regular season with a $&!#tier team than willy. I don't know how you can argue this.

The league, media, and majority here will tell you Hartley is the better coach.

He did more during the regular season with a craptier team than willy. I don't know how you can argue this.

The league, media, and majority here will tell you Hartley is the better coach.

I dunno about him having a crappier team. Ours looked better on paper, but that's paper and that's why they play they the games after all. I'd like to hear someone credible in the game/media explain why Hartley is nominated over Willie. It seems to me like they went: well, we got two guys who started with similar scenarios and finished nearly identical, but we got to go with one if we're going with these two other guys for sure so lets flip a coin on the third.

I dunno about him having a crappier team. Ours looked better on paper, but that's paper and that's why they play they the games after all. I'd like to hear someone credible in the game/media explain why Hartley is nominated over Willie. It seems to me like they went: well, we got two guys who started with similar scenarios and finished nearly identical, but we got to go with one if we're going with these two other guys for sure so lets flip a coin on the third.

You said it yourself. We look better on paper. A lot better. The difference is they have a better coach who got them to over achieve big time.

I'd say we over achieved as well. In part thanks to willy. But willy has an easier job with a very veteran team.

Hartley has a team full of rookies and plugs.

They had almost the exact same record as us. That is a big win in Bobs favor.

Don't get me wrong, I like Willy. I hate Hartley.

But the proof is in the pudding man.

The reasoning is that we look/looked a lot better on paper than they did/do. We had the expectation on us of a bounce back year. People expected us to bounce back and make the playoffs or at least be close. People expected Calgary to be at or near the bottom of the standings. Therefore what Hartley did was significantly more impressive.

AV again? gimme a break. Why don't they give someone else a turn.

A turn?

This isn't kindergarten, where the emphasis is on sharing. It's an award voted on by members of the media who have nominated a coach for what they feel is a job well done.

Sure there may have been candidates as deserving in the minds of some, but the point total put up by the Rags without their starting goaltender for a large chunk of the season and the emergence of young players like Kreider, Hayes and Miller, shows what a great job he did this year.

Hartley will probably win, but to discredit Vigneault because of a "stacked" lineup, or previous nominations, is way off base, IMHO.

A turn?

This isn't kindergarten, where the emphasis is on sharing. It's an award voted on by members of the media who have nominated a coach for what they feel is a job well done.

Sure there may have been candidates as deserving in the minds of some, but the point total put up by the Rags without their starting goaltender for a large chunk of the season and the emergence of young players like Kreider, Hayes and Miller, shows what a great job he did this year.

Hartley will probably win, but to discredit Vigneault because of a "stacked" lineup, or previous nominations, is way off base, IMHO.

It's not about discrediting AV. It's about the fact that he had already been nominated 3 times, and other equally worthy coaches were passed on, a lot of whom had never been nominated. It's an easy choice for me. How was Dave Cameron's incredible second half of the season run not more impressive than AV's season? Mike Yeo's?

Jack Capuano took a perennial loser and turned them into a contender.

Lots of other guys had amazing seasons. More amazing than AV, "IMHO". These same guys have never been nominated for the Jack Adams, whereas AV already has been nominated 3 times. It's not about Kindergarten. It's about these stupid awards ceremonies crediting the same people year after year after year.

You see it at the oscars. You see it at high school and university awards banquets. I just find it nauseating.

It's not about discrediting AV. It's about the fact that he had already been nominated 3 times, and other equally worthy coaches were passed on, a lot of whom had never been nominated. It's an easy choice for me. How was Dave Cameron's incredible second half of the season run not more impressive than AV's season? Mike Yeo's?

Jack Capuano took a perennial loser and turned them into a contender.

Lots of other guys had amazing seasons. More amazing than AV, "IMHO". These same guys have never been nominated for the Jack Adams, whereas AV already has been nominated 3 times. It's not about Kindergarten. It's about these stupid awards ceremonies crediting the same people year after year after year.

You see it at the oscars. You see it at high school and university awards banquets. I just find it nauseating.

That line spells it out in a nutshell. "In your humble opinion"....

The fact is, a lot of coaches could be considered deserving. However, to state that Vigneault is less deserving because he had a good team last year is wrong, in my humble opinion.

Capuano was the beneficiary of some huge upgrades on defense, thanks to his GM. Cameron and Yeo both rode incredible goaltending streaks to their playoff positions. (Remember how the AV haters loved to claim that Luongo "won" his Jack Adams for him?)

Vigneault took a good lineup and made it better, despite losing players like Pouliot and Stralman, not to mention being without his #1 goaltender for almost half a season.

Calgary on paper has a terrible roster and they were supposed to finish near the bottom on the standings. k.

Terrible roster? Flames have several highly coveted forwards and defensemen and have youth on their side.

Not saying Hartley didn't motivate them, because he sure did..but Willie did better IMO because he had a team full of old veterans who have a tendency to coast a lot..

not to mention the Canucks had lost half their defense and starting goalie for the second half of the season and still managed to finish in 2nd place.

Don't know why Laviolette got so much praise, Nashville had tons of talent, everyone knew last season was an aberration.

Archived