The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Idiotic Draft Ranking System

badassian9

The philosophy of giving bad teams better draft picks is broken, anyway.

In the old days it was ok because rich teams could become perennial contenders by signing free agents (NYR, Detroit, Toronto), The draft was the only way to level the playing field.

But in a salary cap world, there's no reason for it. All it does is reward failure and promote this disgusting "tank 4 McDavid" mentality.

Draft order should be decided by a straight lottery, where every team has a 1/30 chance at the top pick. That way the formula for success is exactly what it should be: draft smart (regardless of position) & develop good players.

I get that man, I'm just saying the system is stupid. Its frustrating

Would the previous system of regular season ranking being the only factor and playoffs being ignored have worked out better for us?

I understand that we finished higher than Calgary in the regular season but don't you think that draft placement should be assigned after each round using the regular season standings to sort out each team's seed?

I find it mindbogglingly ridiculous that we could lose to Calgary and end up with the 23rd pick in the draft while Calgary gets the 15th overall.

How a team that eliminates another team and somehow end up with a higher pick makes no sense to me.

Am I missing something?

I think basing draft position on the round a team is eliminated would be a much worse system.

1. 82 game seasons form a much larger sample than a 4 to 7 game playoff series. The chance of a few key injuries or some puck luck affecting the overall results of a best of 7 series is quite a bit higher than affecting the results of an 82 game season.

2. Sometimes a team runs into a hot team (e.g. the 2012 L.A. Kings) in the 1st round. Why should the team that lost to the Kings in the 1st round get a higher pick than the team that lost to the Kings in the 2nd round?

How many people in the summer of 2012 living outside British Columbia would have thought that after two consecutive Presidents Trophies, a year out from making it to game 7 of the S.C. Final, the Canucks should get a middle pick because they met the eventual Cup champions in the 1st round instead of, say, the 3rd round?

Should the Washington Capitals, after their Presidents Trophy of 2010 with 121 points, have gotten a middle pick because of their 1st round playoff loss? btw, the Caps followed that up the next season with a 107 point season, 2nd overall in the NHL (and this time they did make it through the 1st round of the playoffs.)

I think that the draft system should be changed as well, here is my twist on it.

#1.

First year, players are ranked for the first year and the following year for a total of 60 players, the following year the remaining eligible players are then ranked and drafted

#2.

No team would be allowed to draft in the exact same (top 60 spot) as the previous year, and should be done on a 5 year rotation, and not being able to move higher, just because it's the last spot they haven't been in, so accordingly, they would move down in the draft.

So basically, the 2 years Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones etc. would all be put into the same draft (top 60)....league standings would be used,.......for the most part there would be some risk drafting a player 2 years away, but it would spread the wealth out a little.

The second year, lesser players would be drafted, in the same manner, still allowing lower placed teams to pick first, in the next years final standings.....

I know this is complicated, and will need tweaking, but it would spread the talent around a little bit more, with more risk on those teams trying to reach First overall.

Basically, anything that prevents awarding a total tanking......or at least making it a very painful and expensive decision. aka, prolonged basement(Low attendance), if not using UFA's and total cap space as well

Like I say......complicated!

I think that every year, all 30 GMs should get into a ring and have a Battle Royale, last man standing gets 1st overall, first one out gets 30th. Then lather, rinse, repeat for the next 6 rounds. :emot-parrot:

We can throw in baseball bats, foam hands, and cheese heads to make it interesting. CAGE MATCH!

I understand that we finished higher than Calgary in the regular season but don't you think that draft placement should be assigned after each round using the regular season standings to sort out each team's seed?

I find it mindbogglingly ridiculous that we could lose to Calgary and end up with the 23rd pick in the draft while Calgary gets the 15th overall.

How a team that eliminates another team and somehow end up with a higher pick makes no sense to me.

Am I missing something?

I doubt there is a massive drop off of talent between 15 and 23 anyways. Prospects are prospects, you really never know what you're going to get.

I doubt there is a massive drop off of talent between 15 and 23 anyways. Prospects are prospects, you really never know what you're going to get.

Pretty much yup.. You can rank the talent but predicting who's got the fire in their belly is a whole other story.

The way teams are ranked is fine, if you lose in the 1st 2 rounds, it doesn't matter how you did; only the final four are the dominant teams and therefore they pick lower.

You're just upset trying to find an excuse for the Canucks to move up in the draft. They did it to themselves by winning the last game of the year.

To be fair, the Coyotes made it to the Conference Finals in 2012 and they were nowhere near elite.

Also, if one regular season win is worth 8 spots worse, yet one less round of playoffs is worth nothing, isn't that unfair.

Archived