The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zuccarello Suffered Brain Contusion, temp. lost ability to speak, after puck to the head

there's abolustely no doubt. The rangers could've suffered anyone else getting injured on their roster except for zucc or henrik. Zucc being injured threw their entire lineups into a blender and nash never really had that chemistry with anyone else. Plus the heart factor that zucc brought with every shift, there's no way I could see rangers not going to finals, and they wouldn't have needed 7 games either.

The way NY got wrecked in the last 2 games tells me Zucc wouldn't have chanced alot. A healthy Mcdoughan thoooo,

Ha, those that say Hockey is as soft as it gets are idiots.

Eh.....who is saying this?

I know quite a few folks who watch other sports and they all regard hockey as a pretty dangerous game.

Yeah, who the hell has said this? Even in the era of the "No Hitting League" it's still a pretty intense and physical game.

Geez that's crazy. I hope he takes the appropriate time off to make a full recovery. Good thing he didn't play, sometimes NHL players think they're invincible. Wasn't there a Bruins player a few years back that played with a punctured lung? That to me is outrageous. There are more important things in life.

Geez that's crazy. I hope he takes the appropriate time off to make a full recovery. Good thing he didn't play, sometimes NHL players think they're invincible. Wasn't there a Bruins player a few years back that played with a punctured lung? That to me is outrageous. There are more important things in life.

Patrice Bergeron

Sticks have improved puck velocity, but helmets have not kept pace. In the least this calls attention to this concern.

Are the shots really that much harder? I seem to remember Al Iafrate blasting 105mph shots back in the early 90's...there will always be unpredictable injuries regardless of how improved safety gear becomes, this was just an unlucky & rare incident. If players feel their helmets aren't safe enough, why aren't they pushing hard for companies to improve the technology?

Plus, how safe can a helmet ever be against a 100+ mph slapshot, and still remain functional for the game of hockey? This accident reminds me of Malhotra's eye injury, in the sense that a helmet that would prevent such an injury would be less functional and probably would not be worn by most hockey players.

Are the shots really that much harder? I seem to remember Al Iafrate blasting 105mph shots back in the early 90's...there will always be unpredictable injuries regardless of how improved safety gear becomes, this was just an unlucky & rare incident. If players feel their helmets aren't safe enough, why aren't they pushing hard for companies to improve the technology?

Plus, how safe can a helmet ever be against a 100+ mph slapshot, and still remain functional for the game of hockey? This accident reminds me of Malhotra's eye injury, in the sense that a helmet that would prevent such an injury would be less functional and probably would not be worn by most hockey players.

The special hard shooters of the past and present are always going to be able to fire off those big shots. It's the average player's shot that stands to benefit the most from a stick change.

I believe on average shot velocity has gone up due to improving stick technology. This is just what I get from guys I talk to. They say the composite stick makes a big difference. For average-shooting players, speeds usually rise 10mph. For NHL pointmen going for a big goal in the playoffs... Well, you get the idea. Obviously Zuccarello felt the effects.

Ha, those that say Hockey is as soft as it gets are idiots.

Eh.....who is saying this?

I know quite a few folks who watch other sports and they all regard hockey as a pretty dangerous game.

I have literally never heard anyone say this.

Archived