The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fallout 4

Armada

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the fact that you can't be truly evil in this game as well.

Playing NV, becoming a cannibal and joining Caesers Legion was a blast.  You truly got the feeling like your character was an asshole.  In 4, even if you do use some of the more evil dialogue options, at the end of the day you're still a good guy providing shelter to the hard-working people of the Wasteland and searching for your son.  

I tried being evil at first and just sort of gave into being a good guy all the time just to maintain consistency.

Gotta retract what I said about the outclassed thing.

Since I cranked the difficulty up to hardcore, every fight is damn near a fight for my life, currently have the game paused battling this Legendary Deathskull Radscorpion, and oh my god do I ever feel weak, his poison hurrrrts and I finally upgraded to a Legendary Gauss Rifle, and I'm still getting my $&!# pushed in, just decided to explore the glowing sea, lol.

Ran into a Legendary swarm of bloodbugs, dead. @_@

23 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I don't find being challenged fun. I'm more of a casual "along for the ride" type player. Dying over and over is frustrating. I like the whole game to have a cinematic feel, if that makes sense.

I did not use power armor basically all game. I now have a bank of fusion cores and can strut in my x-01mk.V all day long and not worry.

I totally forgot about the suit atop the Mass Fusion Building. I'll have to go back. Was just there too for one of the bobbleheads.

I meant to reply to this; Since boosting the difficulty, the deaths aren't frustrating, when you die, you can usually go back, analyze what you did wrong, and how you can improve, in my case above, I took too many hits, the poison stacked, and I couldn't outheal the damage and got swarmed, went back, changed targetting strategies, and destroyed them, it just adds a much needed sense of danger to the game.

Not to mention you find WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more Legendary Loot, like, enough loot that I'm regretting the fact that I didn't do this 20-30 levels ago.

1 minute ago, Nail3738 said:

I meant to reply to this; Since boosting the difficulty, the deaths aren't frustrating, when you die, you can usually go back, analyze what you did wrong, and how you can improve, in my case above, I took too many hits, the poison stacked, and I couldn't outheal the damage and got swarmed, went back, changed targetting strategies, and destroyed them, it just adds a much needed sense of danger to the game.

Not to mention you find WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more Legendary Loot, like, enough loot that I'm regretting the fact that I didn't do this 20-30 levels ago.

I'd rather just not die TBH.

I have full legendary armor parts and my inventory is mostly legendary. I dunno. Just not for me.

Just now, BaerOxHitman said:

I'd rather just not die TBH.

I have full legendary armor parts and my inventory is mostly legendary. I dunno. Just not for me.

I get it, but I mean, where's the fun if there isn't any danger? Where's the fun in walking through a raider camp, or a group of super mutants and VATSing everything before it has a chance to move, over, and over, and over again, I dunno, I just found feeling like god got really boring, I'd rather know that the Wasteland is actually Dangerous and not full of puppies and kittens. xP

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Think I'm missing out.

I loved Fallout 3. Played 10 minutes of NV and haven't looked at it since. Bought this 2 weeks ago, played 2 hours, haven't come back to it. Just no interest at all.

The beginning of Fallout 4 is the weakest part of possibly the whole series. Not until you start settling in the first settlement (and figure out the strange workshop interface) does it start getting interesting. Then it goes up a level once you get to Diamond City.

New Vegas was fun, but just too over-the-top at times. It was basically a satire of Fallout 3. I was doing a replay with all the DLC, and just got completely sick of it (got all the gold from the hotel, but lost interest in the place connected to the drive-in, where the floating brains dissect you...).

57 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

I get it, but I mean, where's the fun if there isn't any danger? Where's the fun in walking through a raider camp, or a group of super mutants and VATSing everything before it has a chance to move, over, and over, and over again, I dunno, I just found feeling like god got really boring, I'd rather know that the Wasteland is actually Dangerous and not full of puppies and kittens. xP

I dunno. Theres still a challenge. I still die, sometimes. But the combat isn't a big part of the game for me.

When you put it the way you did it does sound boring, but I'm level 55 and my agility is still 4. Low agility = low VATS points = using VATS less. 

But sometimes when I'm doing a mission I just want to get through it without dealing with those pesky raiders.

On a completely unrelated note, I found that deathclaws are way to rare and weak. I can use my 10mm pistol and not have any trouble. Like, easier than having the default difficulty should suggest.

Those bastards should be terrifying and really strong. Even the Alpha Deathclaws are kinda weak if you happen to have some explosives on you.

11 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I dunno. Theres still a challenge. I still die, sometimes. But the combat isn't a big part of the game for me.

When you put it the way you did it does sound boring, but I'm level 55 and my agility is still 4. Low agility = low VATS points = using VATS less. 

But sometimes when I'm doing a mission I just want to get through it without dealing with those pesky raiders.

On a completely unrelated note, I found that deathclaws are way to rare and weak. I can use my 10mm pistol and not have any trouble. Like, easier than having the default difficulty should suggest.

Those bastards should be terrifying and really strong. Even the Alpha Deathclaws are kinda weak if you happen to have some explosives on you.

If it ain't Legendary, it ain't $&!#. 

Go Hardcore. Legendary Albino Deathclaw; Legendary Chameleon Deathclaw, Legendary Deathclaw Matriarch.

Watched a Legendary Albino Deathclaw VS a Behemoth last night....had to step in to end the battle when the deathclaw ran through a barn and the Behemoth couldn't find pathing to the other side -_- 

2 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

If it ain't Legendary, it ain't $&!#. 

Go Hardcore. Legendary Albino Deathclaw; Legendary Chameleon Deathclaw, Legendary Deathclaw Matriarch.

Watched a Legendary Albino Deathclaw VS a Behemoth last night....had to step in to end the battle when the deathclaw ran through a barn and the Behemoth couldn't find pathing to the other side -_- 

I've seen an albino one once. I guess those are the exception.

Well I've played approx 80 hours of the game and I can't see why anyone has anything to complain about with this game. I spent $80 and it has entertained me for 80 hours so far so that is like 1$/hr. Which is way way better than movies or most other forms of entertainment other than maybe Netflix. 

I'm curious why people like voiced dialogue, it is only a limiting factor. 

The only skill checks that occur during conversation now are charisma ones, you can't even intimidate someone with a high strength or wile your way out of a situation with high intelligence. 

On a personal note, I am no longer immersed because I don't believe I'm the protagonist anymore once I hear his voice. I feel like I'm playing someone else's character. 

4 minutes ago, Caboose said:

The only skill checks that occur during conversation now are charisma ones, you can't even intimidate someone with a high strength or wile your way out of a situation with high intelligence. 

On a personal note, I am no longer immersed because I don't believe I'm the protagonist anymore once I hear his voice. I feel like I'm playing someone else's character. 

Well, I never got immersed enough to feel like I was more than a character in previous versions of the game.

The dialogue flows nicely, and feels more - as Baer put it - cinematic.

8 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I feel more immersed with the voice acting. It gives my character personality rather than playing as a mute all game.

You're bang on with Charisma being the only factor in dialogue. They may have done this to give more meaning to the Charisma stat, but I'm just speculating there.

58 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I feel more immersed with the voice acting. It gives my character personality rather than playing as a mute all game.

You're bang on with Charisma being the only factor in dialogue. They may have done this to give more meaning to the Charisma stat, but I'm just speculating there.

I'm with you on that one. I like a blank slate protagonist but I think with this they found the proper balance between imposing your will. and injecting some personality.

Though if I were trying to be evil, I'd be a lot more frustrated, as the rude option choice is more comparable to being a renegade in Mass Effect 1 and 2 than it is some of the more sadistic things you can say and do in New Vegas. Though that "renegade" dialogue option always satisfies me when I'm pissed off.

What makes the voice acting work rather than not for me is that I don't think the dialogue options were incredibly varied in the games before to begin with. Sometimes they better reflect exactly what you wanted to say, and some situations required more than 4 options, while some less. But the trade off works more than well enough for me.

With Fallout 3/New Vegas, I don't remember what my character looked like, or any of the things they said. I do remember the things I did with them (particularly New Vegas), but that's not missing in Fallout 4 for me. 

I was worried about the voice acting cutting down on interactions and the such, but in terms of quantity that's not the case at all.

I think a fundamental thing lacking though is one I was a little worried about though, in direct comparison to New Vegas. You can't just get in The Railroad's, or other faction's, way like you could do in that game. You can just shoot up their HQ and become hostile with them or something, but you in terms of interaction it's typically accepting their quests, or just ignoring them. It's a very, very Elder Scrolls-ish thing to do, and it wasn't what I wanted to see.

There's far more fiddling within quests than something like Skyrim still, but the fundamentals was something New Vegas got right that I feel they ignored here. In terms of progression really, it's like a straight evolution from Fallout 3, without much paid to the existence or improvements that New Vegas brought on. I like their own progressions a lot, but it feels like they took a step back in a few places before they took one forward again.

Also, sorry for the triple post, but this is an independent question I didn't want to get lost in the mix there.

Do you need buy "Overseer's Guardian" from Vault 81 to get that "second projectile" sniper, or is there a non expensive way to find one with the same bonus?

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Also, sorry for the triple post, but this is an independent question I didn't want to get lost in the mix there.

Do you need buy "Overseer's Guardian" from Vault 81 to get that "second projectile" sniper, or is there a non expensive way to find one with the same bonus?

I just bought it when I saw it. Heads up, it's an automatic, so get ready to craft a better reciever.

6 hours ago, Mimerez said:

I just bought it when I saw it. Heads up, it's an automatic, so get ready to craft a better reciever.

I did. Just stole the better .308 reciever from the sniper I was already using and stuck it on.

Spoiler for the "Here be Monsters" quest

Spoiler

Yelling, "Commie Bastard! You killed my country! Die!" before shotgunning that General in the sub is probably my favourite moment in the game so far.

Failing the quest though, I had to see what exactly I was missing, so I looked it up online. Turns out he was THE commie bastard who killed my country. Felt vindicated for my snap judgement, not that I didn't already enjoy it, lol.

Archived