The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Keep in mind people; like Virtanen he is a right handed shot, and his natural position is the right side. People say we're weak on defense in our prospect pool but our young right wing depth is barren. Benning most used that as the tie-break when evaluating him next to other prospects; I find it hard to believe no one pointed that out. (If someone did, correct me please.)

Edited by riley57

Keep in mind people; like Virtanen he is a right handed shot, and his natural position is the right side. People say we're weak on defense in our prospect pool but our young right wing depth is barren. Benning most used that as the tie-break when evaluating him next to other prospects; I find it hard to believe no one pointed that out. (If someone did, correct me please.)

You hear people say this, but others say we have so many RW's that we don't have any room. But you never hear that we're full of decent defenders.

By the way, here is the NBC version of his draft video for those who haven't seen it. I captured the video as I watched it on the NHL's video player so the quality isn't great. I'd recommend checking this one out if you haven't already because it is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the one from Sportsnet. That... was an awful broadcast.

The video is set to "Unlisted" because I'm not sure how NBC will react to their video being up on YouTube publicly. Bell, Rogers, and the WHL have been okay with my videos so far, allowing them to stay up. Just going to play it safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXJBMK1Ou8

thanks searched for this for 4-5 hours after the draft.

"Getting a college degree is important to me," said Boeser, who says he has been asked to go to the Canadian Hockey League but decided to stick with the NCAA. "Just getting it for life after hockey. It's not all hockey your whole life."

We may not see Boeser in the pros for years, and by then he may just Schultz off to the team of his choice. (The Minnesota Wild.)

A guy drafted 23rd overall in the 2015 draft should have been able to become a pro right away.

We will wait and see what happens here.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

"Getting a college degree is important to me," said Boeser, who says he has been asked to go to the Canadian Hockey League but decided to stick with the NCAA. "Just getting it for life after hockey. It's not all hockey your whole life."

We may not see Boeser in the pros for years, and by then he may just Schultz off to the team of his choice. (The Minnesota Wild.)

A guy drafted 23rd overall in the 2015 draft should have been able to become a pro right away.

Just like all BC boys must prefer to play for the Canucks because they grew up watching them, right? So much energy wasted on paranoia.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting but also important to keep the question about context in mind. He is speaking about it in relation to why he chose the NCAA route instead of the CHL route. The discussion wasn't around his timeline for the NHL. The thing about degrees is you can finish them any time, including after (or during) your pro career. Seems that at least STARTING a degree is an important part of Boeser's choice in development path. It remains to be seen if COMPLETING said degree is important enough to keep him from the lure of a lucrative pro career.

It is not clearly one way or the other from that quote.

That's a bizarre conclusion to draw. Granted he is eligible to play in the AHL right away, but that doesn't mean he should. Benning doesn't seem overly concerned about it and they interviewed Boeser extensively at the combine.

Seems ... strange ... that they would invest so much time and money into scouting this kid and never get around to asking what his pro hockey plans were. But of course we fans can deduce so much more clearly from ... a 20 word sound bite?

Weird.

• Upvote 1

Ok so people have been asking for a list of USHL top scorers that doesn't just include successful NHLers. Below is a list that shows all USHLers who scored 1.0 PPG or more in their U18 season from 2003-2004 until 2014-15. Now keep in mind by filtering by U18 (which is how EliteProspects works) players who are draft eligible but born between Sep 16 and Dec 31 are omitted because they are considered 18 in their USHL season. For example, Kyle Connor this year (Dec 9 1996) is omitted because he was not U18 while Boeser (Feb 25 1997) is included because he is U18. It isn't perfect and I know it shortens the list however I felt it more important to remove 18+ players (most of whom were born Jan 1-Sep 15 and thus draft eligible the PREVIOUS year) to get a good sense of how common or rare it is to score at Boeser's level in their DRAFT YEAR (since the league has players from 16 to 20 years of age).

Here is the chart for all seasons, sorted by PPG. Boeser is the blue highlight, USNTDP players are in yellow. I noted them because they are typically the 'cream of the crop' of US developed players and so get somewhat of an advantage over other USHL teams and players (equipment, training, QoT).

6XxrsJG.png

Key takeaways:

- The USHL is a lower scoring league than CHL with far fewer players reaching or surpassing 1.0 PPG, at least at the U18 level.

- Even more rare is a player over 6 feet to be PPG+ at 18. A large number of top scorers seem to be under 6 feet and even smaller than CHL (several 5'7 or 5'6 players listed).

- As mentioned, the USNTDP dominates the list. This is in large part because they are, for the most part, the most talented kids in the US system. At the same time, they do get benefits in terms of training and development that other USHL teams cannot match. And most importantly, their QoT (Quality of Teammates) is undoubtedly higher than a typical USHL team, which should be considered when reading their numbers.

All in all, this shows how elite Boeser's production is for a) USHL b ) U18 player c) Non-USNTDP player. Again, if the filter allowed for 18 year olds in their draft year to be included, I am sure a number of kids would bump Boeser down the list however I tend to think this would be limited to a half dozen spots or so. Even if we assume Boeser would place 5-10 spots lower, he would still be ranked extremely high in terms of relative production.

So that what I think the stats can tell us about Boeser, namely that he has the 'potential' to be one of the better prospects to come out of the USHL in the last decade. Whether he actually achieves this or not will come down to his work ethic and how badly he wants it. I am sure Vancouver will afford him every opportunity to develop further and he is going to an excellent program at UND. The rest is yet to be written.

Thanks for this. Very good work.

That's a bizarre conclusion to draw. Granted he is eligible to play in the AHL right away, but that doesn't mean he should. Benning doesn't seem overly concerned about it and they interviewed Boeser extensively at the combine.

Seems ... strange ... that they would invest so much time and money into scouting this kid and never get around to asking what his pro hockey plans were. But of course we fans can deduce so much more clearly from ... a 20 word sound bite?

Weird.

Indeed. I guess time will tell, because I seem to recall the same people saying all the right stuff about McNally half a decade ago. It's great to develop these guys in college... Until they don't develop. Or they just leave.

Stranger things have happened. As Canucks fans we've seen it all.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

I agree. As much as it's nice to have a pure scoring winger I also feel as if he will fly on us. I would have rather taken the risk on Kylington.

I agree. As much as it's nice to have a pure scoring winger I also feel as if he will fly on us. I would have rather taken the risk on Kylington.

Sigh... At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Kylington and the other defensemen 'were 2nd rounders' and we 'took the BPA' with Boeser, and then the team didn't get their 'assured trade for 2nd rounders' done. It's all part of the plan.

Maybe i'm dead wrong about Boeser anyway. Afterall, nobody listens to me.

notice anything about his Twitter profile pic?

qHGTl6j8.jpg

By the way, here is the NBC version of his draft video for those who haven't seen it. I captured the video as I watched it on the NHL's video player so the quality isn't great. I'd recommend checking this one out if you haven't already because it is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the one from Sportsnet. That... was an awful broadcast.

The video is set to "Unlisted" because I'm not sure how NBC will react to their video being up on YouTube publicly. Bell, Rogers, and the WHL have been okay with my videos so far, allowing them to stay up. Just going to play it safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXJBMK1Ou8

Thanks for posting this! The analysts actually talk about the player being drafted not how they knew his dad back when they were playing in the big leagues

He turned down to go play for his country because he didn't want to abondon his teammates, he is an unselfish kid, full of character and always thinking of others. He's going to stick with the team that drafted him

I really hope you're right because I do love his potential.