The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Since Sid's previous post back on Sept 9th there has been very little news on Lukas Jasek and how he is progressing on the Comets team. Wondering if he is nursing an injury or if he is dejected at not making the Canucks out of camp and it is affecting his play? Comments on his play from those of you that have watched him in Utica this year would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Since Sid's previous post back on Sept 9th there has been very little news on Lukas Jasek and how he is progressing on the Comets team. Wondering if he is nursing an injury or if he is dejected at not making the Canucks out of camp and it is affecting his play? Comments on his play from those of you that have watched him in Utica this year would be appreciated.

One of the Comets fans can speak better to this than me. I have an odd schedule, and it was actually much easier for me to watch games and follow Jašek in Czech than it is in Utica (when it comes to timezones and game times). But from what I have seen, I think Jašek is just dealing with the same roster situation as the other prospects. Utica has a lot of young wingers and they need to be rotated in and out of the lineup. At least while the Comets and Canucks are relatively healthy. When injuries really hit, it will be another story.

But Jašek has a goal in 3 games, and he’s had some chances for more. He had one game where I think he played on a line with Dahlén and they seemed to have some chemistry, drive the play well, and create scoring chances. Just didn’t convert.

I think it’s tougher for him (and any young player) to really get on a roll when he’s in and out of the lineup. And when he does play, he’s more likely to get a 4th line spot than the second line and PP, and a centre like Bancks instead of MacMaster, and the role/playstyle differences all that entails.

But it’s really early. History has shown us that both the Canucks and Comets run into injury woes every year. And they get short on players. Vancouver siphons off Utica’s talent, and the Comets start signing scrubs to PTOs. At some point this year, and opportunity will really open up, and at that point hopefully Jašek can produce the same kind of numbers as he did last season.

I’ve also heard that Jašek had recently been lining up as a centre at practice, so it’s possible he’s getting moved to the middle, where the Comets are much thinner. I don’t mind this as Jašek is a capable centre and playing that position likely means he gets more games. Hopefully if he does move to C, he’ll get some talent on his wings, and maybe get on a bit of a roll.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Why does Jasek get so little respect, interest and opportunity?  We need to see more Jasek.  

I think he’ll play a fair amount from here on out, as injuries and callups thin the Utica roster a bit. Also, the move to centre, and his ability to play all three forward positions, should help his cause.

I was a little surprised he started the season on the bubble on as part of the group of young forwards who were rotating in and out of the lineup. I though maybe his play at the end of last season had earned him more of a regular lineup spot.

However, I did feel like Jašek was a little underwhelming through the camps so maybe he needed some time to find his game. Possibly just a confidence thing, which has been an issue for him in the past. But hopefully he’s in a groove now and can keep playing his game and producing. If he can continue to be around a point per game guy for the Comets, I don’t see them sitting him out of the lineup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

However, I did feel like Jašek was a little underwhelming through the camps so maybe he needed some time to find his game. Possibly just a confidence thing, which has been an issue for him in the past. But hopefully he’s in a groove now and can keep playing his game and producing. If he can continue to be around a point per game guy for the Comets, I don’t see them sitting him out of the lineup.

One reassurance is that he went through a lot of ups and downs in his last season in Czech Republic where he went from 1st line to 2nd line to being out of the lineup to back and on PP, etc... his minutes varied greatly and he still kept improving so it looks like he won’t be rattled easily.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he’ll play a fair amount from here on out, as injuries and callups thin the Utica roster a bit. Also, the move to centre, and his ability to play all three forward positions, should help his cause.

I was a little surprised he started the season on the bubble on as part of the group of young forwards who were rotating in and out of the lineup. I though maybe his play at the end of last season had earned him more of a regular lineup spot.

You did such a great job following Jasek for us last year SId. If I remember you mentioned how much he moved up and down on his Czech team. Vets got preference. He had spells where he sat or his ice was cut back. He is young and playing NA pro for the first time so I am not worried.    

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One reassurance is that he went through a lot of ups and downs in his last season in Czech Republic where he went from 1st line to 2nd line to being out of the lineup to back and on PP, etc... his minutes varied greatly and he still kept improving so it looks like he won’t be rattled easily.

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You did such a great job following Jasek for us last year SId. If I remember you mentioned how much he moved up and down on his Czech team. Vets got preference. He had spells where he sat or his ice was cut back. He is young and playing NA pro for the first time so I am not worried.    

I agree. The usage won’t faze him. He’s been through far worse. And I’d imagine he has zero issues with his icetime so far.

It’s more that I felt like he was being too much of the “team guy” during the camps/preseason and playing almost too much a supportive player instead of being opportunistic and maybe just a litttle more selfish. I felt like his game was actually pretty solid, but it was a quiet style that doesn’t really impress on first glance, and he faded into the background a bit.

Was hoping he’d hit camp the way he hit Utica last year, just all over the puck, scoring in bunches, and infecting the whole team with his energy and drive. Instead, it seemed like he was doing a lot to cover for teammates, letting other guys put their best foot forward, and kind of hanging back a little and playing a solid two way game and not really taking chances. He seemed to be playing 200 ft hockey while the rest of the kids were kind of playing fire wagon, pond hockey style.

It speaks to his professionalism that he approached his camp that way. But it also meant that he didn’t wow anyone with his individual effort. Which I think maybe hurt his chances of being an opening night regular in Utica.

I dunno. Just my impression from the start of this year.

But I think Jašek’s in a really good spot right now. He’s coming off a strong game, he’s scoring, and he’s shown he can help the Comets playing down the middle, or either wing, and playing in a variety of roles and game states. I think he just needs to keep doing what he’s doing and he’ll be successful.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Comets Cory with a good write-up:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/11/17/canucksarmy-utica-comets-post-game-comets-get-doubled-up-in-6-3-loss-to-hartford/

“1st Star: Lukas Jasek. Jasek has been used all around the forward ranks this season for Trent Cull’s Comets, mostly stapled to the hip of Carter Bancks. He has been used on the wing as well as the middle, and to his credit, he has looked pretty solid as a pivot. He picked up a goal and an assist today and is up to seven points in 14 games this season. While that isn’t as impressive as the seven points in six games that he put up last season, he has taken on more responsibility this year and is adjusting well to the AHL thus far, in my opinion.”

The first star was for “Canucks Army’s 3 Stars.” No Utica player made the actual 3 stars in the 6-3 loss.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cyoung said:

Starting to turn it up a bit! Getting that confidence.

Getting the opportunities now too, with all the injuries and call-ups. He’s been a fixture lately in the top-six and on the power play. Many of the early season games, he was playing bottom-six, with lower minutes, less O-zone time, and with less (offensively) talented linemates, so it was a bit tougher to put up the points. But from all accounts, he’s been solid in whatever role he’s been given, and has played well and contributed all season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Getting the opportunities now too, with all the injuries and call-ups. He’s been a fixture lately in the top-six and on the power play. Many of the early season games, he was playing bottom-six, with lower minutes, less O-zone time, and with less (offensively) talented linemates, so it was a bit tougher to put up the points. But from all accounts, he’s been solid in whatever role he’s been given, and has played well and contributed all season.

Jasek is quite the versatile players.  Checks, hits, skates, playmakes and scores from any forward position. Green is gonna like this kid in a year or three.  

We will see how close to PPG he can creep in the AHL.   Maybe next year see how he meshes with a kid named Lockwood.  

I'm not to worried about who is out playing whom at this point. They have different attributes that they bring to the table and as long as there is a continued progression over the course of the season I'm fine with that.

The three players that I want to see more from are Gadjovich, Palmu and Lind (once he is healthy). Maybe now that Gadjovich and Palmu are finally starting to put some numbers on the scoresheet; the flood gates will open for them and we will see an uptick in points going forward. It seem that most rookies to the AHL always have an adjustment period that they go through and once they find their groove we only can hope that they start to take off.

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just so crazy to see that he went from playing up and down his line up in the Czech leagu, struggling offensively... to coming over and making such an immediate impact over here. 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think all the moving around the Czech leagues, and the lineups of those teams, actually helped prepare him.

Jašek arrived in Utica a veteran of around 200 men’s pro games, split between 5 different clubs, and three tiers, counting regular season, playoffs, and tournaments. And he was used in just about every role you can think of. So while people think of Europeans having to make the biggest adjustment as AHL rookies, I think he actually had a leg up on some of the junior and college kids in North America.

He also came over trying to win a contract, versus having one guaranteed by his draft position, and now that he’s here, he definitely doesn’t want to go back. So Jašek has a lot of motivation.

He’s been through those dark days with Trinec, where making a minor mistake got him benched. And even when he played extremely well, he still might get limited to 5 minutes of ice the next game he played, or even demoted. So he definitely didn’t come in with any sense of entitlement and believing the he should just be handed a role. He’s used to having to fight for everything he gets. So whatever role he’s been handed in Utica, he’s thrown himself in 100%, and tried to make the most of it. Whether that’s 4th line or 1st line, and playing wing or centre.

I’m sure the Utica coaches love him because they know that he’s going to work hard every night, and that they’ll get his best effort, regardless of the role and opportunity. I don’t think the same can always be said of some of our other prospects. Not that any of them are lazy or sulking, but just that they’re used to being top dogs as amateurs, so making that step up to pro, and adjusting from playing against boys to against men, can be quite humbling and a real learning experience.

For better or worse, there’s no question that Jašek experiences in the Czech leagues definitely were very humbling at times, especially his first couple pro seasons in Trinec. So I’m sure he’s grateful he’s now getting this chance and finally allowed to prove that he belongs at this level, playing in North America in a league just below the NHL (and possibly even getting his shot at the big league one day).

I’m really happy he’s having success. The kid deserves it, after everything he’s been through, and the long road that he’s traveled getting here. Obviously, I’ve been tracking him for some time, and I had a lot of belief in his abilities. I just wasn’t sure he’d ever get his chance. And for a while there, I thought his Czech team might ruin him. So it’s really nice to see things coming together for Jašek and him finally getting rewarded for his patience and determination.

I find it interesting comparing Jasek to Palmu. Palmu plays in North American for junior, puts up dominant numbers his final year. Then he goes to the Liiga which is unanimously the third best European league and wins rookie of the year with 36 points in 59 games (.61 points/game). Juolevi scored .5 points/game on the same team. In the AHL, Palmu has 1 point, Juolevi has 13.

Jasek played in a weaker league (Czech league is likely around 5th or 6th best in Europe) and scores just 18 in 48 (.375 points/game) in what was his 4th pro season there. Now he has 16 points in 23 AHL games (0.7 points/game).

Palmu and Jasek are the exact same age. 

I was really excited about our "B" prospects this year (Juolevi is an "A" prospect). I'd define a B prospect as someone who is drafted recently in the 2nd round, they have a fair amount of excitement or discussion around them (won awards, world juniors etc.), and are players who anticipate to at least play a game in the NHL at some stage.They include Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and Palmu. Dahlen has been OK but the rest have a combined five points this year. I expected maybe one of them to struggle, one of them to succeed, and the others to put around at around a point every other game. But they are looking almost destined to being sent to the ECHL. 

Our "C" prospects are carrying the team. They include MacEwen, Carcone, Jasek, and McEneny. Now to be fair Carcone and MacEwen are older and aren't rookies and McEneny is almost too old to be considered a prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1