The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers hand McDavid ELC

Oilers have a tendency to rush the kids into their lineup, which ruins their development years. Looks like McDavid is no different than all of their previous 1st round draft picks. The weight of the world is about to be put on his shoulders, to bring EDM a Cup in this millennium after years of finishing in last place. Anything less is failure with this player. They will be much better, but they can't be much worse. At least their run of #1 picks will probably end.

Wtf all the hype about potentially signing this guy and get outbid by edmonton?

Im calling it now, GMJB gets the axe midway through the season and Kevin Lowe (who knows a thing or two about winning, btw) comes in. Quote me on it.

Mike Keenan knows winning. I think he would turn...out....great... oh, right.

If I was signing in Edmonton, I would ask for the max deal too.

If he's smart he'll only sign for the least amount of years, refuse to re-sign and force a trade.

Think about this top-6;

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov

Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle

Now think about this top-4;

Nurse - Klefbom

Reinhart - Schultz

Most first rounders sign for the max. He's going to be an Oiler for the rest of his career and it's a fact.

He's just a kid, he's never played in the best league in the world, any predictions of EDM overtaking us this year are laughable

If he comes in and has a Crosby like rookie season then the Oilers are a better team than us prob

He's just a kid, he's never played in the best league in the world, any predictions of EDM overtaking us this year are laughable

McKinnon was just a kid, so was Ekblad. They made a huge mark early in their careers. I doubt Edmonton is better than us, but they could be close depending on just how good McJesus may or may not be.

McKinnon was just a kid, so was Ekblad. They made a huge mark early in their careers. I doubt Edmonton is better than us, but they could be close depending on just how good McJesus may or may not be.

McJesus is and will be good in the NHL, I don't like the Oilers, but i'm certainly going to be watching their games just to see how McJesus make other NHL players look silly.

Most first rounders sign for the max. He's going to be an Oiler for the rest of his career and it's a fact.

Not many players play their entire career with one team.

Once his ELC expires in 3 years, if he is good as everyone says (no reason to think otherwise), I predict an annual cap hit of $9.7M (kind of like Crosby has an $8.7M cap hit) for the rest of his RFA years. The Oilers won't be able to save or give him the $6M/yr Hall/RNH deal because he is better than both of them and teams will offer sheet and not worry about giving up draft picks.

He'll also be a UFA at age 25. The Oilers will have to pay dearly to have him give up any of those UFA years. Basically the sole purpose of Oilers management is to make McDavid happy for the next seven years and hope he stays. All the other players are secondary.

Archived