The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do Benning and Linden have what it takes to move the Sedins on time?

Ilya Mikheyev

Bottom line is,  it's their choice. 

From what I understand they will either finish their nhl careers with van, move to modo, or retire.  And why not? They have families here.  Do you think they would uproot and go through all the stress of relocating their families, starting over with a new team with only a 1-2 year window, just for an unlikely shot at a cup?

Our best case scenario is they transition to the second line, and we have a legit replacement for them on the first.  If it doesn't go down this way either we get by with mediocrity until they are done, or they retire.

Really though, that's not such a bad plan.  Either they hold down the fort until the next generation is ready to take over, or the stars align and we have a team that had a chance to threaten for a cup run.

worst case scenario is we get a sweet draft pick. 

I dont like to speculate who they could be traded to/for, but any team making a run at the Stanley Cup would benefit greatly with them in the lineup.

Would it suck if we traded them? Yes.

Would it suck to see them win the cup with a contender? No.

Why aren't he Canucks a possible contender in the near future?

With the emergence of Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton Gaunce, Hunter and with the vets Sedins, Burrows, Dorsett, Sutter, Prust, etc. 

Plus you add in a D via Trade or UFA. Say for instance a Byfuglien maybe go after a Lucic?

Why are we not a contender then??? That's only 1 or 2 players away & some maturing in the young we already have in my eyes.

First of all, they have  NMCs and would be unlikely to waive.

Secondly, they would probably have to go to a team that is seriously taking a run at the CUP.

Thirdly, the team in question would have to have cap space to acquire them.

So which team fits the bill?

I don't see it happening this off-season if at all.     

Only 1 team makes sense and to be honest this might make the most sense at the trading deadline, if Ottawa is looking to be in the playoffs comfortably and Vancouver is probably out. Vancouver could get max value such as Mika Zibanejad, Thomas Chabot and a 1st(2016). Instantly Ottawa becomes a favorite to come out of the East, and Vancouver gets just what they need. 

Only 1 team makes sense and to be honest this might make the most sense at the trading deadline, if Ottawa is looking to be in the playoffs comfortably and Vancouver is probably out. Vancouver could get max value such as Mika Zibanejad, Thomas Chabot and a 1st(2016). Instantly Ottawa becomes a favorite to come out of the East, and Vancouver gets just what they need. 

we don't want Mika.  How about the Twins go to Nashville for Seth Jones?  That's a way better trade for us.

we don't want Mika.  How about the Twins go to Nashville for Seth Jones?  That's a way better trade for us.

I thought of Nashville as the second best choice for S.Jones and they have the Cap to do it with 11.3mil but we need their 1st as well and I don't see them moving it, do you think J.Neal could be in the package...My third team was Detroit with Mantha, Larkin and B.Richards.

I thought of Nashville as the second best choice for S.Jones and they have the Cap to do it with 11.3mil but we need their 1st as well and I don't see them moving it, do you think J.Neal could be in the package...My third team was Detroit with Mantha, Larkin and B.Richards.

if we could get Jones, then all else does not matter to me.  Don't need more picks, and will take lots of crap back.  We need a young stud D.

We are in the key years to provide depth through the draft for team Horvat.Why are we going to choose to use their youth to prop up our vets for a few years while drafting 23rd over and over?Sell whatever we can sell.Having said that the Sedins will never leave even though they'd provide an insane playoff boost to a legit contender.

Straight up, the reason why the Sedins would leave Vancouver is because some of the fans do not deserve to see them anymore. What would it say about the character of the franchise if the Canucks traded the Sedins. Whatever happened to the right thing to do? The Sedins are the all time Canuck leaders in most statistical categories or are close to breaking them this year. When that happens, we are literally seeing history in the making for every game and point the Sedins produce from there on out. It's not like we are hurting for young talent now so are the Canucks really going to mess with trading two modern day legends such as the Sedins. The most beloved Canucks it it's history features Smyl and Linden why? They may not have won the cup but they led us to the dance, a game 7 for Linden. So did Henrik. So the idea of trading all those years of a living legacy, draft picks are more important? I'm sure there are a few other players the Canucks can trade to obtain those picks.

P.S.

Iginla is playing as a shadow of himself after he got traded from Calgary. Messier sucked in Vancouver before returning to form and retiring in New York. Naslund just gave up after he left Vancouver. Linden was just not Linden until he came back to Vancouver. There is a good record of one team players who's career sunk after they left. For all the Sedins have done not just for the Canucks but for Vancouver. Why would one want to do that to them for a couple of draft picks? 

The Twins couldn't shuffle in Buffalo... they looked tired and worn... 

The only way you could get anything of value for two players with an incredible record of disappointment and futility in games that really mean something... 

Is if you find a team that needs... an old NHL... Novelty Act !!

;-)

The Twins couldn't shuffle in Buffalo... they looked tired and worn... 

The only way you could get anything of value for two players with an incredible record of disappointment and futility in games that really mean something... 

Is if you find a team that needs... an old NHL... Novelty Act !!

;-)

If playing Buffalo is a "game that really means something" in your eyes then that basically means the Sedins need to be Canuck saviours every night. Technically speaking this game is only a 2 point game and not a 4, so not really a BIG game. They got us a goal and they costed us a goal so the Sedins were basically a wash in this game. You forget that there were 4 other players on the ice when that goal went in right? 

If playing Buffalo is a "game that really means something" in your eyes then that basically means the Sedins need to be Canuck saviours every night. Technically speaking this game is only a 2 point game and not a 4, so not really a BIG game. They got us a goal and they costed us a goal so the Sedins were basically a wash in this game. You forget that there were 4 other players on the ice when that goal went in right? 

Buffalo was nothing more than a another game that the Twins "Washed" out... but don't forget, they tryed to do their high-wire act but all the rookies and fans have seen that before... haven't they?

If fans like you took away their safety net... they'd fall flat on their faces !!!

Why aren't he Canucks a possible contender in the near future?

With the emergence of Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton Gaunce, Hunter and with the vets Sedins, Burrows, Dorsett, Sutter, Prust, etc. 

Plus you add in a D via Trade or UFA. Say for instance a Byfuglien maybe go after a Lucic?

Why are we not a contender then??? That's only 1 or 2 players away & some maturing in the young we already have in my eyes.

I want us to be a contender but some areas of concern would be youth, inexperience and first year as a revamped team. 

Somehow I have a feeling come trade deadline, we will be the ones dealing player(s) away and building even more towards the future.

Buffalo was nothing more than a another game that the Twins "Washed" out... but don't forget, they tryed to do their high-wire act but all the rookies and fans have seen that before... haven't they?

If fans like you took away their safety net... they'd fall flat on their faces !!!

you can say that about most players in the league.

Heaven forbid anything positive can be said if a player makes a mistake or 2! Throw everyone in the doghouse unless if they're perfect!

I want us to be a contender but some areas of concern would be youth, inexperience and first year as a revamped team. 

Somehow I have a feeling come trade deadline, we will be the ones dealing player(s) away and building even more towards the future.

I don't disagree with that. Vrbata Hamhuis, Higgins...

Actually while the Sedins did not play well defensively, they did do what they needed to do offensively in the Buffalo game.

The problem was their THREE perfect setup passes for empty net tap ins went to the stick of Radim Vrbata who is playing like he has no interest in ever scoring a goal in the NHL again.

This talk about trading the Sedins is simply stupid. 

The problem is they need a linemate who can put the gimme chances in the net.

Either Sutter, Burrows or Hansen need to replace Vrbata.

:blink::rolleyes:

Archived