The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Loui Eriksson UFA

Yes, I want to get younger like the Oilers, where our best players are our future, not our past.  We have good management, so I don't see us leaving our young guys without proper mentors.

And that really is what the Sedins should be leaned on for now. Show these kids how to read each other in high pressure situations, how to make passes tape to tape, how to play an effective cycle game in the other teams end.

The Sedins, for as great as they have been (and as good as they still are), are 35 year old players who have lost a step. WD needs to look at splitting them up and giving Henrik some younger wingers to make some magic with, and Daniel a centre to snipe with. It wouldn't hurt.

Well eventually every team needs to shed veterans as young guns come up and take on bigger roles in the retooling process, it's just that they didn't do it very well by not having any veteran sheltering and hence risked stunting some of the growth of their kids early on (e.g. Justin Schultz).  Lucky for them they turned the boat around, but we won't have that problem with the Twins, Eddie, Miller, Burr, etc. forming the veteran backbone.
Anyways, I agree with Alflives, if we're going to sign someone why not go for someone younger who can fit into the plans of the future era while also contributing now?  Eriksson is a good player but if he'll take playing time away from young guys (or worse, he's the only asset coming back in a trade as he was mentioning AND he's on an expiring contract so we risk losing him for nothing) then what's the point of getting him in the context of trade?  As a UFA at most I'd bring him in on a one or two-year deal tops just to fill-in for the young guys as needed but not much more. The kids need to play to develop.  

I certainly agree we are in the rejuvenation portion of the cycle. And to handle player transactions accordingly.

But we have at least 4 and often 5 rookies in the line up. Its also occasionally going to be as much as 6 if Gaunce (or Pedan) is up.

That's enough for me for the moment.

Too much more any faster is a recipe for things, including proper development, to implode.

edit: so yes > definitely veto any rentals coming our way via trade. And its not like we sign a young player for that spot UFA. It would cost us some of our other assets. All assuming Jensen is not going to make it? So Ericsson would probably make a great transition player until Boeser arrives...

And that said; we have a bigger need for a transition player on the right side of our D. I do an Ericsson as a priority only after getting both a long term, and transitional asset for our D.

I certainly agree we are in the rejuvenation portion of the cycle. And to handle player transactions accordingly.

But we have at least 4 and often 5 rookies in the line up. Its also occasionally going to be as much as 6 if Gaunce (or Pedan) is up.

That's enough for me for the moment.

Too much more any faster is a recipe for things, including proper development, to implode.

edit: so yes > definitely veto any rentals coming our way via trade. And its not like we sign a young player for that spot UFA. It would cost us some of our other assets. All assuming Jensen is not going to make it? So Ericsson would probably make a great transition player until Boeser arrives...

And that said; we have a bigger need for a transition player on the right side of our D. I do an Ericsson as a priority only after getting both a long term, and transitional asset for our D.

It's not like I'm saying that management would make the mistake of bringing all their kids at once, as they've shown that (even for guys like Vey) they'll send guys who aren't ready down, and reward young kids who show that they're ready with a roster spot.  

With this asset management method I don't think that it's in the kids' best interests to set a hard number for how many kids make the team when some of them are clearly ready (like Ben, Jake and Jared were) and the best way to develop them is through putting them through the fire that is the NHL.  Even any vaunted prospect who comes as a trade return needs to be ready before they get their shot, but once they've earned their spot I'd say go with them unless they clearly show they're not ready.

Agreed with the transition role for Eriksson and right-D comments though.    

And that really is what the Sedins should be leaned on for now. Show these kids how to read each other in high pressure situations, how to make passes tape to tape, how to play an effective cycle game in the other teams end.

The Sedins, for as great as they have been (and as good as they still are), are 35 year old players who have lost a step. WD needs to look at splitting them up and giving Henrik some younger wingers to make some magic with, and Daniel a centre to snipe with. It wouldn't hurt.

I was thinking that too - the splitting them up part.  We could move Vrbata for a pick to even open up more spots for the young guys.  It's looking like Shinkaruk is close.

It would be nice to get a replacement scorer for Vbrata, but we'll have Gaunce and Shinkaruk coming up next season for sure. If McCann is good enough to be a 2nd line center next season, we could easily see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Shinkaruk - McCann - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Prust - Virtanen

With Shinkaruk scoring a goal per game in the AHL, I think he's more than ready to make the jump to a top-6 role. If not, we've still got Baertschi who's on pace for a 40 point season while playing 8 minutes a night.

I was thinking that too - the splitting them up part.  We could move Vrbata for a pick to even open up more spots for the young guys.  It's looking like Shinkaruk is close.

At this point, legacy aside, they need a shakeup. They still have amazing hockey minds and spreading that wealth of knowledge amongst the rookies would be invaluable.

Vrbata isn't capitalizing on it, so move him down to a line where he has to push a little harder.

Archived