The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Loui Eriksson UFA

He's going to be a pricier addition, but he would be one that we can count on to be a consistent presence with the Sedin's. Most of all though, he's a monster on the powerplay.

Is he a plausible option if we manage to shed some dead weight at the deadline (assuming season is lost)?

No thanks, I'd say enough with soft Euros playing with the Twins.  

While it's good to stockpile skill, grit with mobility and skill might be what the team needs.  With that said, I'd rather get Troy Brouwer (excellent size at 6'3", plays in the slot area, has a good shot and works well with skilled guys).

how old is he?

he is 30 yrs old, $4.25M this season and a UFA next season, great player for that cap hit, a solid top 6 guy

Played lots of games with Sedins on Team Sweden, I would think that the Canucks would be one of his preferred teams to sign with

Maybe it's just me

But while the twins can play with almost anyone, why are we still talking about finding guys to play with them?  Their only going to be around 3-5 more years.  We should be looking at complimentary players for AFTER them.  Louis might not be a bad piece but not for $4+ million and even then only for 2 ish years.

Regardless of the history they have internationally, I think a full 82 games in the NHL might be different.  Regardless, it might just be me, but it seems we should be starting to move away from the mindset of finding guys who can play WITH the twins and instead looking for guys to play AFTER the twins

Difference between Loui & say Vrbata, or Burrows, is Eriksson has also been a Selke candidate.

He digs in corners, backchecks like a hound, uses his speed to fore-check, kills penalties. A more skilled, younger & bigger version of Burrows?

I hear what Warhippy is saying. Why build around the Twins? The key is where Virtanen is at over the course of this year. And gauge if Grenier will make it?

But really; this signing gives us a right wing depth chart of Loui, Jake, Burr (actually a natural LW), Hansen & Dorsett.

- Signed for 2-3 years is the perfect Segway for Boeser to be allowed to develop & arrive.

- And we would have the depth we could get a pick for Burrows at next years deadline. Hansen the year after.

you don't watch him play often, do you...

I'm aware that he's not a Mason Raymond who falls down easily.  That being said, I think this team has enough Euros who can use their weight to pin guys but who aren't heavy enough to dish it around, and who go to the net but aren't big enough to be a heavy screen (which I believe the Twins could really use). Skill and productivity are also good but goals don't always come so cleanly (e.g. off snipes or drives to the net, sometimes they're stuffed).

I'd easily take him as a replacement for Vrbata but would prioritize on guys who bring other elements (SHOT, grit, size).  

So you want to be like the oilers?

Well eventually every team needs to shed veterans as young guns come up and take on bigger roles in the retooling process, it's just that they didn't do it very well by not having any veteran sheltering and hence risked stunting some of the growth of their kids early on (e.g. Justin Schultz).  Lucky for them they turned the boat around, but we won't have that problem with the Twins, Eddie, Miller, Burr, etc. forming the veteran backbone.

Anyways, I agree with Alflives, if we're going to sign someone why not go for someone younger who can fit into the plans of the future era while also contributing now?  Eriksson is a good player but if he'll take playing time away from young guys (or worse, he's the only asset coming back in a trade as he was mentioning AND he's on an expiring contract so we risk losing him for nothing) then what's the point of getting him in the context of trade?  As a UFA at most I'd bring him in on a one or two-year deal tops just to fill-in for the young guys as needed but not much more. The kids need to play to develop.  

Maybe it's just me

But while the twins can play with almost anyone, why are we still talking about finding guys to play with them?  Their only going to be around 3-5 more years.  We should be looking at complimentary players for AFTER them.  Louis might not be a bad piece but not for $4+ million and even then only for 2 ish years.

Regardless of the history they have internationally, I think a full 82 games in the NHL might be different.  Regardless, it might just be me, but it seems we should be starting to move away from the mindset of finding guys who can play WITH the twins and instead looking for guys to play AFTER the twins

This times a thousand. The time has passed to find a linemate for the Sedins. Really the focus should be on building a legitimate first line that can compete in the West.

Burrows has been the ideal linemate for them, and will probably still be the best option going forward. But as Warhippy has stated, the focus should be on the future, not trying to prop up a first line built on players who are becoming to old to keep up with the pace of the game.

Archived